1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Son of Goku, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Son of Goku Doesn't need a Custom Title

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’

by March 15, 2019 11:00am

EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated as the writer-director of 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

Shutterstock
    The decision to rehire Gunn –he by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios chairman met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.
    The social media messages were indefensible, but the filmmaker never did anything but blame himself for poor judgment displayed at a time when he was emerging from the Troma film factory and attempting to be a provocateur. There were no reports that Gunn ever engaged in the behavior he lampooned. Unlike the defensive posture exhibited by Kevin Hart that led him to skip hosting the Oscars, Gunn fell on his sword early and often and never lashed out at Disney.

Ultimately, Gunn’s missives were poorly chosen words and not actions, though Disney’s quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn’s missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

Gunn’s return to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got complicated when he signed on to write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel for Warner Bros and DC. Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2. Making the whole thing easier though was the fact that Marvel Studios never met with or considered any other director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, despite speculation that Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi and Vice helmer Adam McKay were in the mix.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios has remained mum on all details concerning Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as the -led division turned its focus toward Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel this week .

Prior to his dismissal, Gunn had written a script which Marvel confirmed would be used for the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment. I expect Gunn to confirm all this as he supports the release of Brightburn, the David Yarovevsky-directed Elizabeth Banks-starrer that he produced and Sony releases May 24.

Disney

There will be an inevitable chorus of those who will gripe about Gunn’s return, but creatively, Guardians will benefit from his return. The entire cast of the film was outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, saying that those satiric tweets did not match his personal actions. The cast clearly loves him; , , , , , Sean Gunn, Michael Rooker and Pom Klementieff all pleaded for Gunn’s return, in an open letter. The controversy shattered the camaraderie that the cast had with the filmmaker and put a strongly performing franchise in limbo. Marvel has done a great job allowing its filmmakers to inject their personalities into each franchise, and perhaps none has been as stamped by one filmmaker as Gunn on Guardians. The first two installments grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel outgrossing the first picture.

Soon after the announcement of Gunn’s firing, fans circulated a petition urging Disney to reconsider. On October 31, a fan crowdfunded in Anaheim, CA to rehire Gunn.

Disney is days from of the assets of Fox and while the company will always be family first, it is somehow reassuring that there is room for second chances, and for a good director to have a chance to overcome a colossally stupid mistake.

UTA and The Safran Company rep Gunn.

This was : “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

Tags:
  2. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

@Stunna why did you make the poll private?

3. Orochibuto Well-Known Member

All the complains in the world cant make up for a good movie and the money that comes from it.

4. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Lol well, well, well

Shove it Nazis

5. wibisana still newbie

Didnt they all dead (at least on ly one left)

Btw spoiler alert

6. Son of Goku Doesn't need a Custom Title

They can't stay dead when there are movies scheduled for them.

7. Stunna Your huckleberry friend Retired Staff

Honestly, 'cuz I remember this being a hot button topic when he first got fired so I didn't want people to feel like they'd get flamed for voting either way if they didn't want to publicly pick a side.

EDIT: Wait, wrong thread anyway.

8. Alwaysmind 总是心神

9. Roman Heart of Fire

10. Cardboard Tube Knight Chika is god now.

Rocket and Nebula are the only people alive we could call "Guardians" at this point.

11. yuLeopard All Blunt

Guardians 3 would have failed without him. Disney already knows they messed up by putting their eggs in the Brie Larson basket.

12. Agent9149 Well-Known Member

? Captain Marvel made half a billion and it's only the second weekend.

13. Cardboard Tube Knight Chika is god now.

Keep telling yourself this bullshit.

14. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

15. Undead ☠R.I.P☠

About time. This irrelevant dirt digging from years in the past shit needs to stop.

16. Kitsune

This was a hit job on him. I’m glad Disney came to their senses. There’s no condoning the tweets but people need to look at who is digging this kind of stuff up and why.

17. Pliskin Well-Known Member

In the End I wouldn't even be that suprised if the whole thing was a marketing ploy or turned into one along the way.

'The movie SJW didn't want you to see. 1 ticket= 1 free speech.'

Thst said glad the thing gets made, Guardians 2 was the first really good comic book movie out of the Disney verse.

18. Junta1987 The Skeptic

the"illusion of change" (how Stan Lee called it) is the reason i lost interest in Western superheroes stories like Marvel and DC. They will bend time and logic to save (at least some) characters who died in the previous movies

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  19. yuLeopard All Blunt

I don't talk to myself. That's Barry Dylan's job.

Also, yeah that movie sucked. Just like Last Jedi sucked. Battle Angel Alita however.. was an actual strong female lead

20. yuLeopard All Blunt

That's very nice. It was the lowest budget Marvel movie, that could have only failed if no one watched it and it is able to fit the agenda as long as critics keep getting paid to like it and the Marvel formula keeps getting recycled.

21. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Fixed

22. Agent9149 Well-Known Member

The budget is estimated to be about $150 million. That's pretty standard for non avengers marvel film, especially a debut.

You seem to be pushing some conspiracy but there is none. It's a pretty cool movie and it making good buck. The Marvel formula works. It's entertainment.

23. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

24. yuLeopard All Blunt

Actually, it's been pretty boring... and it is no circumstance Rotten Tomatoes pulled a lot of strings and exposed itself over this movie (some critics exposed this film too).

Also, it could have been good but Brie Larson's blandness... Just killed it.. everyone else was good, but she didn't bring it... Then you had all of the lame girl power moments..

It was slated to be the lowest budget Marvel movie and Captain Marvel is being set up to be the big game changer... So Disney lowered the budget, relied on brand name and paid of critics so that they would make sure it was a success no matter what.

No conspiracies, just doing business.

25. Cardboard Tube Knight Chika is god now.

So yeah conspiracy BS. Have fun running out to review bomb the next release you literal baby.

26. egressmadara Wanderin' About

think ant-man had the lowest budget but either way disney handled this extraordinarily well in business.

27. yuLeopard All Blunt

Yeah this has some really good damage control and managed to make a profit. I don't want the movie to fail, I just feel like it could have been better had they reshot some scenes

28. yuLeopard All Blunt

LMAO

Review bomb? Nah bro that's not me. I'm just watching from the sidelines

29. Roman Heart of Fire

They had to come to their senses because the lead actors threatened to walk out if they didn't bring him back. That's not something they could risk, even if a good number of said actors don't fit with their politics.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  30. Roman Heart of Fire

How is it a conspiracy theory that a website is pulling strings to make a movie review score higher than it is when it's proven fact? Not to mention the owners of the website themselves came out and admitted to the tampering?

And no one review-bombed the movie. If anything, there was a campaign to heavily promote the film rather than bring it down, what with bots running wild online posting the same positive message about the film.