1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Do African-Americans deserve reparations?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Yellow, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Yellow Ho

My question is do African-Americans deserve reparations?

Now I have thought about this before but today something was said that made me think about it again.

Today a woman applying for a teaching job at a local high school near where I live came to speak to several classes. She was told that she should talk about World War II and the effect it had on Japanese Americans.
    I was one of the persons invited to evaluate her and while she spoke I heard her coment on how the Japanese were forced to go to internment camps during World War II. She spoke about how they were treated bad in these internment camps.
    At the end of her speech she said "After World War II the federal government paid Japanese $35 million in reparations to Japanese Americans who had been forced into internment camps. In 1988 $1.25 billion was payed to Japanese Americans who were forced into internment camps."

So the U.S. government has payed Japanese Americans a total of $1,285,000,000(1 billion two hundred and 85 million dollars)
    to the Japanese Americans in reparations.

Now if the government felt they should pay reparations to Japanese Americans who suffered in these internment camps for a 4-5 year period then why don't they pay the African Americans reparations?

African-Americans were forced to come to the U.S and work as slaves for 200years and even after the slavery was abolished there was still extreme racism against slaves.

After the civil war congress tried to pass laws that would grant slaves "40 acres and a mule." This attempt to give slaves reparations was vetoed by president Andrew Johnson.

There have been several other attempts to pass bills that would give slaves freed slaves or their descendants reparations.

Now I'm not saying that all African-Americans should receive reparations but certainly the older members of the African-American community should receive reparation because they had to endure the repercussions of slavery and their parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents had to suffer through slavery.

Notice I didn't say blacks on a whole but specifically African Americans because I don't know the actions of other countries but I do know that America has paid reparations to people who suffered because of American actions before so they should also pay reparations to the descendants of slaves.

African Americans have gone through 200 years of slavery and opression. Don't you think it's time they received reparations?

Tags:
  2. Ranger Samson Member

No they do not. They as a person did not go through the hardships their ancestors did, so there is no point in giving them reparations.

3. Elyon CP9 Liason

Using your logic, every Christian should go to Hell. Jesus died for the sins of everyone alive at his time of Death.

Reparations would be nice. Not saying that because i'm black, I really don't care either way what I get, but actually getting reparations would settle some of the lingering bad blood between the two skins.

4. Shiron BOING!!!

Not the currently living ones. Both the slave owners and the slaves are all long since dead. And I don't much see the point in giving reparation payments to any African American who didn't actually live through that. At this point, I think that it should be accepted that that was the past, and that people are no longer like that and things have changed since then, and leave it at that. After all, I just don't see the reasoning in people basically apologizing for something they didn't do to someone who's never even lived through such an expereince.

5. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

No, the only African Americans who deserve reparations were the ones who were enslaved, and it's too late for that because they are long gone. African Americans living in this generation shouldn't get reparations..

6. ShinobiOneKenobi King of Sarcasm

No.. Because it wasnt An entire group.. it was just some.. I believe they deserve it.. Because no human being deserves to be called less than another... but then again.. none of the Actual slaves are alive today

7. Yellow Ho

When I say African Americans I'm not reffering to the younger generation of African Americans. I'm talking about people 70 and older who experienced the repercussions of slavery. These people were discrminated against, treated as if they were below the the rest of Americans and African Americans were even killed for being black. Many of these people were denied a fair education and thus were not educated enough to elevate their status in American society. Many of these older African Americans live in poverty because they never had the chance to gain what other Americans did.

Now are you saying that people that had their rights denied after slavery shouldn't receive reparations because they didn't experience slavery?

Well they might have not experienced slavery directly but they were opressed and mistreated. They were not treated as equals to other Americans so I believe they should receive reparations.

If someone denied your rights because of your ancestry and treated worse than others because of your skin color or race wouldn't you want to be compensated for that?

The effects of slavery are long lasting and still exist to this day. I agree they don't affect the current generation very much but the older generation felt the effects of slavery indirectly and they should be compensated for that.

No one should be treated worse than others because of skin color or race.

8. Shiron BOING!!!

9. Serena_Ahnell You Trust Me, Don't You Baby?

I don't think the law can right social ailments. It's not going to make racism go away. It didn't make drugs/prostitution go away.

If we are talking about rights being withheld or social standing being inferior to others... then shouldn't women get compensation from the government too?

No, I don't believe that African Americans should get reperations. The were brought, forcibly, over to the Americas and endured inhumane treatment. They lived and died in chains. However, none of these slaves are alive today. None of the masters are alive today to attone for what happened, and if they were- they wouldn't believe they needed to atone for anything. Those that are seventy years and older suffered due to racism, but when any group goes against the grain for something there is going to be suffering. It's a means to the end. I don't think any of those folks, while protesting, were rubbing their hands together in anticipation for reperations.

The problem with paying for reperations is that -everyone- pays. My tax dollars, even though none of my family never owned a slave, will go to pay for slavery. That's BS. It's wasted money to me. I would rather the money go to funding education, which is always at the chopping block these days, so that Americans are well informed on the nation's history- warts (slavery, indian removal, women's rights, prohibition.) and all. Put it to something useful that would better the nation.

10. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

I'm totally against the idea of reparations for something that happened to someone else.

Since no one alive today was ever a slave I don't think anyone today should receive dime one or even an apology for that matter. If I punch a guy in the face I don't apologize to his son, I apologize to him, if he's dead then well I missed my chance.

11. Yellow Ho

So you punch a guy in his face and he ends up getting hurt so bad he can't work for the rest of his life. He has no money to support his son and his son grows up in a life a poverty and doesn't get the oppurtunity to become successful all because you punched this guy in his face.

You wouldn't apologize to his son?

You just ruined the guys life and that ended up ruining his sons life. It's your fault his son didn't get the chance to become successful.

If the guys dead then you should apologize to his son because if you hadn't punched his father in the face then his son wouldn't have had to live such a shitty life.

12. Hwon House of Win

Well, I'm going to settle this right now. Should African-Americans get reparations and the answer is absolutely not. Like people have said no one alive today is responsible for slavery and no one alive today was enslaved.

Now after saying that something does need to be done for poor African-American communties that are a direct result of racism and slavery. You can't expect an entire culture and race of people who had been treated so badly to suddenly be doing as well as everyone else.

It is a complex issue, but I highly doubt giving people money will even come close to solving the problems their communties are facing.

13. NU-KazeKage The Real Kaze Kage...

i think that we should because there were times that by law we were called less then a human and just cause the younger ones didn't go threw it dosn't mean anything i mean we all lost our culture and heritage because of all the mixing idk who my is family past 3 generations my great grandmother who lived to be about a 103 didn't even know when her birthday was cause where she grew up they didn't care to document that stuff...i mean the only thing my family knows about our past is that a slave master raped my great great grandmother and left her pregnant shortly after slavery was abolished..and they pay the jappanese money for a few years of mild inconvienece how about the hundreds of years where we would have to get off the street cause a white person is walking by ...how about all the Emitt tills out there the public lynches and so on...(they used to send post cards with black people being lynched on it talking about how its a BBQ)oh yeah the United states of america owes all of us big time...some of you say we didn't go through it so why should get money. well that stuff affects us today it has scared some of our familes for life you might think its unfair to make the US pay for the enslavement of black people and the destruction of our history but i think its a little more unfair what they did ...

14. Hwon House of Win

Actually that isn't the situation here. It is more like you are asking the son of the guy who punched the guy in the face to apologize to that guys son. Neither were involved, but one was affected. Your asking the son to pay for his father's sins.

15. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

I'm Black and I say no. Cut this shit out. Let sleeping dogs lie.

16. ymcauloser The one and only...

Well I don't think it has to do with anything nowadays with African Americans, but all black people. All black people have the same racial prejudices against them today and its all too common. Its common in city areas and even more common in predominately white areas.

All the prejudices today against all blacks is clearly all still from the bad treatment of the African Americans as slaves. Although they have it MUCH better than back 200 years ago, it still comes back they still get treated or looked at differently for the actions they do.

In my opinion, they still do deserve reparations because although the racism is down, the prejudices are still fairly high and it seems that it was something passed down from generations or just pure ignorance of others.

17. Distracted Well-Known Member

To answer the question, NO!

Besides everything else stated in this thread it only increases the divide between the two cultures. (NOTE: Not a RACIAL difference!)

It would increase the sense of entitlement which really no culture should have. I only feel that reparations should be given to people when we know what was taken, what was owed, and how much to give. Only some of the Japanese people that were put into internment camps who could prove what they lost were able to get reparations.

And to the idiot above me are you saying that an entire culture deserves money because there are some people who are completely idiotic and biased? Did Martin Luther King ever ask for MONEY? Did Ghandi ask for MONEY?

What about the jewish people who were oppressed? What about the racism faced by every culture? Hell I'm white I live in California, and if I go to certain areas I get funny looks, should I get reparations for the idiotic behavior of those individuals who have been taught to hate white people?

There is racism in the world, it's a sad fact that shouldn't be. However, ethnicity should not be a source of shame or pride... PERIOD. Plus you simplify the issue far too much.

What about all of the people who did nothing in slavery? In their entire known family history? Should black people be given reparations from them as well? Or is this only WHITE people who must pay?

Hell the majority of my family came over here because they were escaping WW2. That's right I'm German as well, yet my family refused to kill anyone in WW2. My great uncle who is still alive to this day actually got out of killing people because he was a tailor. He made outfits for Nazi's because he knew his skill would keep him off of the front line.

My family left Germany and went to Russia, they figured they wouldn't enter into the war... when Russia did they left Russia and came to America figuring we wouldn't enter the war either... when the U.S. did they said screw it and stayed.

So should my family pay for reparations because of that?

I don't want to take away from slavery, it was a horrible act and shouldn't be taken lightly. There are people to this day who still don't know where their family came from, what their real last name should be, who their ancestors were. That is terrible, it's unforgivable even, but to blame the current generation and make them pay for the sins of some idiotic people.

That's an insult to everything my family went through as well.

18. Altron スキャンダル

in my opinion no, since actual slavery was started by african tribes like aztecs capturing each other to sell to the european slave traders. So in retrospect it was african americans as well who aided in the expansion of their slavery since the african kingdoms fought and sold each other for money. Also by this logic Jews should get reperations by Germany for the holocaust and the 6 million jews who died, which is worse that slavery because a group of exterminated group was killed much faster than african americans. Though slavery died out and thus reperations should not be given to african americans today. Though yeah if we are talking about people who are 80+ and over then yeah i agree that they should be compensated, though people who are way younger should not receive anything.

19. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

i think they definitely do, the only question is how much and in what method to pay it back to them

20. Yuriha what is...the thesis?

The Aztecs were a Central American people. While some African tribes did indeed sell others into slavery, they hardly forced them into the hands of slave traders. Both sides were reprehensible in that respect.

They do. The Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany was signed in the early 50s and required compensation for stolen property as well as monetary amounts for suffering and slave labor. The figures were into the billions of dollars.

So is it better to be enslaved and killed over a longer period than a shorter period. I'd say both are pretty grim.

This part of the rant is personal and not directed at you.

There aren't very many of that generation remaining. My grandmother who was 87 when she passed away worked as a secretary even though she was college-educated (at a black college.) After that, she had my father who couldn't afford college because of how little money they had. He was only able to attend school after fighting in the Vietnam War and taking advantage of the GI bill. Later, he and my mother, another college-graduate amassed enough income to give me and my siblings a middle-class lifestyle. I'm working on my masters and hoping to get my Ph.D. because I want to make a good lifestyle for my children. The type my grandmother was denied. It takes a tremendous effort for many Black Americans to contradict the tendencies of the past, not because of their own failings but because of the failings of the past. They will be visited on this country and denial will not change the facts.

That said, I am not in favor of reparations. Even if reparations were passed, which I doubt in the extreme, it would only increase resentment that already exists. People are already blowing their stacks about affirmative action. If reparations came to pass, can you imagine the results?

I don't want anything from this country except respect, and that's hard enough to get.

21. Altron スキャンダル

sorry if i touched a personal nerve (none intended) though i do not believe that they should not get reperations, since as many have stated that slavery has already died and that the racial prejudices should have died after the civil rights as well, and to the people who don't respect you for your skin color they should go shove it and ignore them they are ignorant fools anyway and not deserving of your time.

22. Taleran Back to Nothing

your asking as a group for money from someone like me, hell you probably couldn't even sell me a slave and you want me to pay for the troubles my ancestors caused yours, stop living in the fucking past.

23. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Perhaps a better example would be my father hits someones father in the face, now my father and his father are dead. Neither people involved are still around, I'm not going to apologize to his son for something i had no part in.

First off, learn to use the enter key to space out your text.

Secondly the fact that mind opinion "makes you sick" I find hilarious. I find anyone who can be made "sick" by an opinion to be hilarious and pitiable.

The united states...."owes you"...I see. How exactly does that work? A lot of the people in the country today entered the country after slavery was abolished. Many of us (in fact probably most of us) are NOT descended from slave owners.

Hell, the majority of the country fought AGAINST slavery.

Estimates run from 1,550,OO0 to 2,200,000 Union Troops.

Estimates of total Confederate enlistments run from 600,000 to 1,400,000

The majority of the country was on the union side. Are you saying the people descended from that majority, even though the fought to FREE the slaves, still somehow "owe you"?

Are you saying everyone who comes into this country now "owes you"? Do they have to contribute tax money to giving you reparations? What exactly have they done that they "owe you"?

24. Yuriha what is...the thesis?

You didn't, no. I should apologize. It's just a tender subject for me. We talked about it a lot in class. I don't care about reparations or anything like that. I personally never want anything from people, least of all money, and I know I can't be the only person of African descent who feels that way.

The thing that gets me is when people try to pretend that it didn't happen, or that it ended with the abolition of slavery, which it didn't. The integration of schools and the passing of civil rights legislation was all relatively recent. I mean, I'm the daughter of someone who was living when it was illegal for blacks and whites to even go to school together, and I'm not even 30 years old!

25. Believe It! Banned

No they should not be paid reparations, and the Japanese AND German Americans that were forced into the internment camps should not have been given reparations. Isolating those groups was the smartest thing we could have done at the time.

First of all, there aren't any African Americans left in the world. Second, who would pay them? The American taxpayers, who had nothing to do with their slavery? Third, where do you draw the line? Should we give reparations to the Native Americans that we ran off the land? Should we give reparations to the Mexicans for "taking their land from them", or perhaps for rounding them up in trucks and sending them back to Mexico?

The black people of today were not slaves, except for those who are slaves to welfare, as is anyone on welfare, regardless of race. The white AND black people of today were not slave owners. So no one is entitled to anything and no one owes them anything. Case closed.

26. GrimaH Absurdist

I agree.

.......I know, I agreed with BI lol :nuts

27. Believe It! Banned

I meant that there are no people who were brought from Africa and made American, as the slaves were, left in the world. There are black people who I consider Americans and not African-Americans here in America. This is because they are Americans, and to hyphenate that is an insult in my opinion. Even those who immigrated her from Africa legally are considered Americans to me.

I don't like the term African-American at all. Not all black people are from Africa. Some are from other continents like Asia, Europe, or South America. Many are from Jamaica. Many were born in America. Black people who aren't from Africa get offended when they are lumped into a group they don't belong to with the term "African-American".

So I call them black people. Why not? There is nothing wrong with that term. I mean, they certainly don't call me an Anglo-Saxon-American. They call me a white man, and that is what I am.

28. Zabuzalives Active Member

No. Everyone involved in that is already dead.
    And economic disadvantaged groups are already given aid.

This is more in the line of holding a grudge and playing the victim. of Greed

If you really want to change your position you should better yourself with your own two hands.

29. mister_manji I have tired of this

the african americans who were directly affected by slavery are dead, and have been for some time know. they are the only who would be eligible. they are dead, so no reparations.

30. Edo Αρχίδια

man you're wrong in so many ways I don't know where to begin...thank god Yuriha beat me to it!

to answer the OP...those how ares till alive and had suffered from slavery directly of indirectly they should...those you haven't shouldn't!

I can't see how it is different from the situation between Jews and Germany!
    i bet you don't even know you are contradicting yourself in that post!

Huh?!!!.....are you for real??!!

Man thank God I was not born in the US!