1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Do you care about pairings?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Jonavity, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    Do you care about whoever character ends up with?

For me it don't really matter. I be a bit miffed if a character i really like gets paired with a character i dislike but i just think that love is something that just happens and it's nothing to complain about. Ofcourse they can't be completely out off the world but when they just happen in a way that it makes sense it's fine.

Tags:
  2. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Not particularly, I'm probably as invested as any normal person is for any medium.

3. Xel

Normally I don't (I hardly ever ship anything, and when I do it's usually crack/for the lulz), but I like it when two of my favorite characters get together (like Lupin and Tonks in Harry Potter). Also I don't appreciate it when shitty pairings are portrayed as romantic (although honestly I don't read or watch romance-oriented stuff often; I encounter badly written romances mostly in fanfics).

4. Sixth Ranger Quantum Power!!

Only if it's characters that I care about.

5. Larcher Shaka Brah!

England
    If the series is specifically a romance then yeah I care about pairings. If it's just a minor sub-plot that is subdued and left for the fandoms imagination/debate until right at the end of the series like Naruto for instance then no I don't care about pairings.

6. Keishin Well-Known Member

Out of these main shounens maybe Nanatsu no Taizais pairing shit actually works for its benefit in the actual story even if I don't really give a crap about any of them. The characters are part of a group etc. So it's normal for these normal things to happen instead of end of story orgies.
    Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Boku no Hero, Katekyo Hitman, Toriko, etc... Fuck no...Absolute TRASH, and these series always manage to sneak in that pairing shit for the grand finale of the series itself despite never even doing anything with them, dumb.

Basically there needs to be some actual normal interaction between these pairings instead of being just fanservice bait, and before that, actual real characters. Not some bitches who have been hanging around for 500 chapters doing nothing else than hit the main characters, fall down, cry or spend time in lame ass cliched trope scenes in a girls steam baths to show the world their multilayered and big "personalities."

Romance series are a whole different deal though. If the characters and pairings are trash then honestly the whole series is. Although there are always exceptions.

7. greenbersama New Member

8. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

i care. Romance is a big part of medias draw for me.But it has to be done well, or else there's no point. Something like FT has romance but its so shittily done along with everything else that i dont even give a crap. Its the same with Naruto(although i did ship in one point). Bleach i was invested in some characters so i shipped till the end

9. selfconcile Active Member

I don't think I've cared about pairings beyond the extent that I care about or like a character and the relationships they form as part of the story.

I guess I don't watch a lot of anime with time skips, because the pairings in Naruto continue to intrigue me. I've stopped watching or reading for years now, but to suddenly see everyone grown up and sometimes paired together is kind of amazing... considering these are the same characters from my childhood, and there's a sense of wanting to know how these relationships formed. (Whether it's actually satisfying to know is a different story.)

10. Rifulofthewest Active Member

No, i can ship what i want in my mind and in fanfics, but i dont care if the author dont make my ship oficial...thats why i cant stand shippers cries, and their "This serie is shit because the author is sold and made Naruhina or Ichihime" and how totally ignore that the other couples are equal of bad.

11. Mider T VM Zombie

Grab her right by the pussy*

12. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

Usually no, I tend not to care about stuff like this.

13. Plexa Well-Known Member

I think romance is a good way to deliver a lot of themes and develop different characters and their relationships with other characters, but I think pairing characters for the sake of it is really dull. A recent example of 'shipping' I might have done that I can think of is with Kokoro and Mitsuru in DARLING in the FRANXX, because I felt the hints were subtle to begin with but suited their characters, and allowing them to lean on each other to develop their stories was really beneficial to the way their characters were fleshed out. There are lots of other romantic possibilities in that series, but I don't care too much about them and wouldn't specifically go out of my way to advocate for any of them, but because I really liked the way Kokoro's and Mitsuru's stories were being told in that regard, I was rooting for them.

14. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

As long as it's really well done (like Bakugou and Kirishima)

but its extremely rare so. :noworries

15. CrownedEagle Knight of Erza

Pairing can be good when they well executed because they give realism, but usually they treated like shit by most of mangaka so... I was only interested by Orihime and Ichigo in Bleach because he was my first pairing war and not certain at the time but generally i know who gonna end up with who at the very first chapters or episodes (yeah mangaka are not subtle in regard of their favorites)...

16. Stannis Based

Germany
    I take my pairings very seriously

17. Mider T VM Zombie

18. Shiba D. Inu #admiralgang

20. Torpedo Titz Degenerate Daimyo

England
    Yes. I am going to be very assblasted if Mikasa and Jean don't become a thing EOS Shingeki

21. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

22. PikaCheeka Well-Known Member

I didn't really realize how much I cared about pairings until recently... Started missing the shitposting about them and now I realize just how into them I was. :sniff

23. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

I find that a little romance in a story gives the characters a bit more reality. When guys and gals get together it is bound to happen (though it is disappointing when done sloppily or put off until the very end such as Naruto). Always been a shipper and always will be. Right now I'm rooting for the eventual pair up of those two sweet kids Deku and Ochako!!

24. Amol Chief of Wisdom

It doesn't bother me if couple I am shipping doesn't end up together. I usually tends to go with whatever author thinks. Most of the authors makes their pairings quite obvious from the start so I go with it.

25. Takaya Well-Known Member

I don't much enjoy when it feels like the writer's deliberately shipbaiting the audience to get attention without any intent to follow it through. That tends to feel lazy and mean-spirited, like some other cases of audience baiting.

(There's a difference between shipbaiting and the characters coming to the decision they genuinely shouldn't be together, of course. In the latter case the idea tends to be taken a bit more seriously, instead of an endless 'will they or won't they? we're going to drop wink-wink-nudge-nudge hints so keep watching, put them in insinuating circumstances, but we never had any intention of actually pairing them, you silly fans.')

26. Gold Experience Well-Known Member

I don't really care for shipping that much because of this very thing. I've grown accustomed to pairings being set up and hinted at before more or less going nowhere until MAYBE the very end of the series. The biggest problem I have with shipping is that there's such a lack of follow through on the part of the writers. If you're gonna push two characters together, then just write a relationship, stop sticking to the crush phase for the ENTIRE series, it is ACTUALLY the least interesting part of shipping at this point because it's been done to death, resurrected, and then killed again. I'd much rather see two characters interact and develop in the relationship then continue this awkward foreplay that makes me want to slap both parties and the writer in the face for not just balling up and committing too. Not to mention in a lot of notable examples it's normally just a throwaway plotline that only gets brought up as a gag, even series I like are guilty of this. There a reason 'Will they, won't they' storylines are such a sore spot for the anime community and why people make fun of them. Either commit to ACTUALLY writing a relationship that grows and changes and develops or stop bringing it up.

As for audience based/fandom perceived shipping, it's fine I guess. Plenty of people pair up characters that don't really have any romantic chemestic necessarily and just like how two characters play off each other. I rarely consume that much new media nowadays so I don't have many ships to speak of, but I have one or two pairs of characters I think would be fun together. The only issue being, of course, people taking it way to seriously and demanding what are essentially headcanons with not that much actual foundation or narrative importance to be accepted as and become canon so they can feel more validated, as well as taking legitimate offense to the notion it could possibly not be as if it's their actual religion.

28. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

Germany
    For most typical shounen I wish they'd just avoid romance since it's usually forced and just done so awfully.

That being said I was happy that Ed and Winry ended up together and that we saw a few panels of their kids.

30. XheguTheSavage Member

For me it was the opposite, at least back in the day. Oh I was quite the starry eyed hopeless romantic in my teen years. Ahh the hours I wasted on fanfiction.net.

Now that I'm older and have run the gauntlet (finding it to be wholly unsatisfying and not at all as great as advertised) I don't give romance a second thought...in any medium now that I think about it.

Anyhow, preferences notwithstanding, I'm still happy to see it when its done in a meaningful fashion. Love (and its sibling sexuality) help to flesh out a character. Makes them more relatable as people.