1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifestyle Do you guys give homeless people money?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by cringe lord, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cringe lord Banned

Flag:
    France
    How much and how often? Or do you just walk around them and pretend they don't exist.

Tags:
  2. Aphrodite

I did when i was in Maryland but not since i moved back home to south carolina because here we dont have homeless people here. We have shelters and usually homeless stay there.

3. cringe lord Banned

Flag:
    France
    if i have no money or have a large bill i just walk around them inconspicuously

4. Aphrodite

Well not giving them money doesnt make anyone a bad person. I mean i didnt do it all the time just when i had extra change on me.

5. savior2005 Well-Known Member

I use to, but not as much anymore (due to too many frauds/scammers/junkies). If I have food on me, then I usually give that away. I tend to carry stuff like snack bars.

6. cringe lord Banned

Flag:
    France
    can relate to this

7. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Thread already exists.

8. cringe lord Banned

Flag:
    France

9. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Yaaaaay

I remember about a year ago when I was coming back from university and arrived at the bus station which had so many people who were homeless just loitering about

And I ended up emptying my wallet cause I thought it wouldn’t hurt to spare a few bucks

Big mistake, never doing it again

10. Aruka Miss Demeanor™

Only to the elderly and disabled. Not so much the kids and grown-ups that're seemingly able to get some work simply because I'm in the impression that giving them money to get by would become a habit and they'd rely on charity to again and again and again.

11. A. Waltz Ho Ho Ho;)

Why did you feel it was a big mistake? Care to elaborate? :)

I personally see it as @savior2005 stated above

13. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Yaaaaay

Cause I should've said no

And what that guy was talking about is completely different

14. Lillianne von Phoenix ho ho hoe

I usually only carry enough cash to pay for a bus trip in case my bus card runs out. And I also often give money to my mom, who doesn't have a job (in the cases when my dad's money isn't enough cause his work isn't very stable).

Also it's a known fact that a lot of beggars here are frauds. We do have shelters for actual homeless people, after all (even if these don't have good living conditions, people tend to stay there instead of standing in the streets).

15. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

If I have spare money, yes. Just this summer while I was in Ireland, a woman and her young daughter (they both sound a little more Eastern European) were begging for some money to afford for a hostel that's about to expire. Gave them whatever spare changes I had, but the woman was like "I can't afford a hostel with this", and I left saying "sorry".

16. Mυgen The Dancing Samurai

no cause they will buy alcohol or drugs with it, however ive offered some of them to buy them a sandwich (which gets rejected even) :smoke

17. Harmonie Crazy Woodwind Lady

Generally, no. Not because I don't mean to be generous... It's just how do you know if they won't be harmful? I remember I did actually give money to someone out recently (early this year or late last year). He may or may not have been homeless. Either way, it wasn't much money from me at all, and I hope it helped.

Just at that moment and even more reflecting on it, an interaction with a man out in town like that, with me being alone (which I was), could have turned really dangerous for me. It didn't.. But I generally try to stay away from anyone else walking outside, because they could be dangerous.

18. shit thread nighty cancel my lunch susan ive got a man to kill

i was recently homeless (but not without money) but i met plenty of people who had been through some real shit and were honestly trying to get back on their feet and just needed a boost now and then

i typically don’t give money to pan handlers although i have on occasion given them food when ive has some in the car (like i had just left mcds with some dbl cheeseburgers and handed one out to a guy on the corner)

if u see any pan handler with a sign that says they are a veteran then i encourage u NOT to give them money because there are SO MANY organizations that will help homeless vets so there is no excuse for them to be begging on the corner INSTEAD u should directly them to the nearest unemployment office to speak with a veterans representative

19. A. Waltz Ho Ho Ho;)

this reminds me of this guy that always asks for money nearby. has a sign saying he lives in a truck, yet he can afford to buy fancy artsy crafts to make a sign? its not a cardboard and sharpie sign, its like pink colored poster paper from an office supply store and with letter stickers and shit like that.
    also, there is literally a goodwill unemployment office next to where he asks for money. like dude come on.

20. Brian           

I use to give them any coins I had when I was a kid.

21. XheguTheSavage Member

Volunteer at the homeless shelter by cooking them meals. That helps them FAR more in practical sense. Like it or not, many of them have turned to drugs/alcohol to cope with their situation, it's an easy pitfall to get into but not get out of.

22. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

I do not give money to homeless people, because I have no guarantee of what they shall do with it; instead, I give them food from a grocery store, as everyone needs that.

I also assist with community meals that my church holds, and I have occasionally helped my town stock the food pantries at the local charities.

23. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Sometimes. If I have change from a purchase I will usually hand it out. Other than that I just lie and say I only have my card on me.

Some homeless dudes with charisma, or game I will give money to. Some post up outside stores like Wawa and watch you pay with money, or don't look like homeless dudes and blitz you. If they put in the effort I'll throw em some dollars if I have it.

24. The Supreme God GODSPEED Aka Thespiritdetective . ART IS AN EXPLOSION

If I have singles on me I will give them money. Although sometimes I wonder if it was the right thing to do.

STORY TIME. I was on the train on my way home and this guy comes in the traincar I was in, holding two boxes of cheese its and starts asking for money he talks to a couple guys before he inevitably gets to me. He asks me if I speak English then he starts to tell his story. He said he recently became homeless and that he's just trying to collect money to feed his son I give him a dollar he sits down next to me. He then takes those two boxes of cheese its and slams those bitches on the floor hard as fuck. I'm assuming it was out of frustration, but you can't be doing that if you asking for money. I was afraid I would have to defend myself but luckily he just picked them up and start to walk back through the other train cars.

25. Jim Well-Known Member

26. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

I'll give them food but not money. Its convenient since supermarkets near me have boxes for food that goes straight to the food kitchen. And I know its definitely going to help people. Food is definitely going to help them while money could be spent on drugs. Plus i barely ever even carry cash money these days.

When I'm giving money I'll go for water aid. I vetted it carefully after the whole Oxfam scandals. Most importantly it seems like the most cost-effective way to save people's lives.
    I try not to be swayed by whoever happens to be shaking a tin at me at the time. Charity is too important to be impulsive about it.

27. Jessica Stop reading this and go make a cup of coffee.

Nigeria
    I don't carry money and only use my bank card, so I can't help the homeless until they start accepting debit.

28. Azure Ihrat absolutely fucking [REDACTED] Retired Staff

yes, because poverty is largely a societal failing and not an individual one.

i know that my giving money to a single person probably won't make a big difference in the long run - for that i give money to organisations that help to solve social problems relating to poverty and inequality. but to have to beg fucking sucks and if i can do something to make someone feel better i'd rather do it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  29. Charmander Well-Known Member

We have people from south america that could not cross the border to the USA and are stuck here so yeah I give them money, one time I gave like 20% of my salary to various families without realizing it :gomen

30. TrafalgarRao The dude who will change the world

This so called homeless people must try to find a way to improve their life instead of relying other peoples help...
    If you keep giving them money,they just stay like that without any will or effort to improve their life style