1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Polls close Thursday, September the 19th at 10:05pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're having technical difficulties with regards to support tickets.
    Please refrain from starting any new tickets for now. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Do You Like Summons? Why Or Why Not?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Divinstrosity, May 28, 2007.

What Do You Think Of Summons?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2007.
  1. I Think Summons Are Cool.

64 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. I Think Summons Are Lame.

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Clever/Lame Way To Get In Your Shots Against Jiraiya!

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Divinstrosity

Personally, I find summons to be corny. Granted, it may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm somewhat obsessed with each character's skill & power levels - but, in my view, I've yet to see a GREAT fight that involved summons.

To explain why I dislike summons, I'm going to use Jiraiya as an example:

I think the main reason I'm reluctant to place a character like Jiraiya on the level of Itachi is because of his summons. He seems to handle every problem with a summon, and I just can't see how that makes HIM powerful. If Gamabunta were to stomp someone with his foot, put them in his pipe and smoke them - how does that make Jiraiya a powerful shinobi? It makes him hard to kill, because you have to get past a 400 foot tall Toad to get to him - but the toad does all the work. Jiraiya can't stomp you with his foot with the same amount of pressure as Gamabunta, so why give credit to Jiraiya for what his summons do? When people say Itachi and Kisame ran away from Jiraiya ... they technically didn't run from Jiraiya. They didn't retreat until he unleashed a giant frog esophagus. If anything, they ran from the toad.

If I'm walking around with a couple heavy-weight boxer as my body guards - who are you afraid of me - Me, or my bodyguards? You may be able to actually break my skull without effort - but the fact that I have two individuals protecting me that could probably snap you in two, makes me someone you don't want to fuck with...

This pretty much means that, someone can base their entire fighting style around summoning big snakes, toads, and dogs, not really have much fighting ability, and live longer than someone like Sandaime ... who may have had a summon, but in his prime, probably could do a great deal of damage without it. Would that person be worthy of being called a great shinobi?

I think someone like Orochimaru balanced it out perfectly. He definitely had his summons, but he apparently had a lot of other great jutsu's that didn't involved summons. However, even as much as I loved Edo Tensei ... it made me lose a little respect for Orochimaru, 'cause I would've prefered to have seen HIM use his jutsu's to defeat Sandaime. I know Edo Tensei is a jutsu ... but, it's just not the same. Sandaime had to contend with three three Kage level shinobi's, and he still held his own...

Your thoughts?

Tags:
  2. Midomaru

3. Vagrant Tom

I think summons are cool. You have to have a massive amount of chakra to summon bigger things anyway. It's the same as a standard ninjutsu. You make the seal and use your chakra to make them and from then on you don't do much and for example the katon does the actual killing, just like summoning a snake.

4. Payapaya

Find yourself in trouble summon a big ol' animal and problem will be solved. Unless your problem is another big ol' animal. Then you might run into a problem. Let's face it what can a bunch of average nin do to a giant toad. Nothing expect for run... Though just one leap and the toad caught up. Yea I guess they will just die. Poor random ninja's. :(

5. Godammit

And to summon those toads the user needs large amount of chakra to summon them and its like 'rare' to summon those toads, the only who have a contract till now is naruto , yondaime , Jiraya.

Like Orochimaru is able to summon Manda ? Is Orochimaru not powerfull ?

6. Divinstrosity

I said that I felt Orochimaru balanced it out perfectly. We see that Orochimaru is highly skilled in almost every area. His tai is underrated, I feel - he's obviously a ninjutsu GOD, great summons, sealings ... and I imagine he's probably pretty adept at genjutsu as well...

7. wiplok

i like them, specially when they own their pokemaster summoner like gama did

8. Sharinganmaster29

who said jiraya cant use other cool jtusus except summonings????its just that he didnt show what he's got...and not any1 can do all sumonings jiraya can....it drains a lot of chakra and u need som connection with all these animals

i personally like summons

9. Loki

They totaly pown!! I can wait for narutos summuns ^^

10. Kingnaruto

Always fucking jiraiya with you, your obsessed!

Edit: i chose the 3rd option cos i know what your like

11. Kenpachi_Uchiha

Divi is this another round about thread that will eventually evolve into Jiraiya vs itachi? I do see in the battledomes that many people give the sannin victories simply because of thier summons and nothing more.

Imagine how pissed most people would be if Itachi had a summon like a giant weasel and he used those all the time in battles. A lot of Uchiha haters would say thats all he has, like how they used to say he is just MS and nothing more. If they just thought that he was all MS then they should accept that Jiraiya is just all about frogs too.

But we say Jiraiya use rasengan and a katon, granted the katon was with gamabunta, but he may have other Jutsu's we just have not seen.

Summons tip the scale of battle against mutilple shinobi's(like war situations) i would guess, but at the same time people in AK take on Biju's so summons should be no problem for them.

Oh and im againt the big boss summon battles that take away from watching individual shinobi skill battles.

12. Das0

I like them, I just wished they were used a little more often when it made sense..
    For example I bet Gamabunta can jump run/jump at at least 150 mph if not way more, if when Gaara was captured Naruto could of summoned him he could of been to sand in 20 minutes instead of 2 days.

13. Daenerys Stormborn Advisor

I agree that the huge summons are a little bit corny (although I like Gamabunta's personality), but some of them, like Enma and Pakkun, are pretty cool.

14. Neolitic

they r pretty funy.. esp snake... dont remember its name.. nah.. who cares?)

15. Dre

lol did he just say "corny"? is this 1997?

16. Denizen

You wouldn't think summons are corny when you're trying to defend Konoha from a gignatic monster. Frog summons have done this three times already.

17. Divinstrosity

I never said they weren't useful; but I do feel the quality of the fights go down when summons are used. I like to see shinobi use their own skills and powers, rather than using some gigantic animal to do all the dirty work, while you stand on it's head and try to look cool...

18. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    I generally like summons since they add a new dimension to the battles. Only the Sannin along with Naruto have boss summons that are hundreds of feet tall and we barely see them anyway. The others are normal size and have been used in interesting ways. I definitely do not have a problem with summons in this series.

19. Slash_Z

20. Kuroro

Kuchiyose isn't a bad technique considering we've seen elite shinobi (Sandaime, Kakashi, etc.) use them on occasion. It seems to be a tradition that has passed down since the Sandaime Hogake.

21. KamiKazi

they are cool because enma is a summon and is cool.

22. Toad Hermit

Summons are like fuckng ownage I cant wait to see Gamabunta rape someone

23. Spencer_Gator

I really dont like the summons, I think it should just be the ninja fighting, not some giant summons

24. Sorrow-Tear's Champion

I don't like the boss summons, that's just cheap. The smaller things are okay.

25. i NiiNJA.chan

Oro relies on his snake summons/jutsu or edo tensai as much as Jiraiya does on frogs. How can you differentiate the two?

Back on topic, I enjoy fights with summons. Their control of their summon or lack thereof is indicative of the ninja's strength. Like most people though, I enjoy fights with the smaller summons mainly because the summon and summoner can work together to defeat a foe.

What really bores me is Genjutsu...its not really fighting in my eyes. They all seem to be like: Here is your first F in mathematics bwuahahaha. The End.

27. Spencer_Gator

Yea, they are strong, but the giants just...they are lame i guess as the choice says

28. TheoDerek

I don't hate summons, but like you, I am more impressed with a ninja that uses his own skills/jutsus.

I think boss summons are a bit strong though. Most nins won't be able to deal with them. It would take somthing like Amaterasu or FRS to take down a boss summon.

But really I don't think a boss summon would fight a single person. If Jiraya summoned Gamabunta while fighting someone like Itachi, Gamabunta would probably laugh at Jiraya and refuse to fight.

29. Shamandalie

Summons are cool. Those who can summon look good.

One of the greatest moments in the manga is when Naruto summons Gamabunta in his fight against Gaara. I think Sasuke peed in his pants that time. :laugh

30. Metric

Yeah personally i'm not that great a fan of summons. When used sparingly i think they're pretty cool, but if they're overdone it can get boring.

Actually, even though the boss summons look really cool, i found that battle to be quite boring, since it didn't really involve that much ninja stuff.