1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like the old man being the strongest trope in shonen?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Skilatry, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Skilatry Well-Known Member

Hiruzen in Naruto, Netero in Hunter x Hunter, Whitebeard in One Piece etc.

Does this trope appeal to you?

Tags:
  2. Plexa Well-Known Member

'appeal' is probably the wrong word. I don't see this trope and give a sigh of relief, saying "thank the heavens, the old guy is the strongest." But most authors try to make their work at least a little relateable, and the trope is fitting. All of the most powerful people in society are old, so it would make sense that this is replicated in fictional works. Even if it's not meant to replicate real life, the idea that experience = power is not new. So while I wouldn't say that I care for the trope, I can clearly see where it comes from, and I appreciate what authors are getting at when they use it.

3. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    Kind of. Those characters somehow end up being extremely likable. I mean c'mon,

4. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

I think its often interesting for a character who was a great and legendary hero to show up as an old guy. It can give a sense of perspective to the hero. Like in RAVE, when Haru fought Shiba, the first Rave Master, and thought about what being Rave Master meant to him. It made him re-evaluate his priorities.

There was also a scene I liked in Shaman King. Yoh's dad kicked the crap out of some of the teenage protagonists for training. And Ren, Yoh's rival, questioned why the middle-aged fighters were trusting the kids to beat Hao. Mihikisa explained that he'd already fulfilled his potential so he trusted his son to do what he never could. I think almost every time you get an ancient master, they're doomed to get killed by the villain.

On the other hand, I think its a bit naff when the writer goes overboard making old characters super powerful. They just get hyped up massively. And their age should present them with obstacles in battle. Like Hiruzen's lack of chakra. Its often cool when you get an old hero who faced age gracefully up against villains who became immortal by committing terrible sins.

5. Cheeky Chirpy

They're often among the best characters of the series they appear in, IMO

6. Amol Chief of Wisdom

Most of the oldies are usually great characters. I mean I am not really fan of Netero but hey even he had his great moments.
    Oldies having more power kinda makes sense too.

7. Sequester Lacking in Luster

Hit or miss with me... Sometimes I like it, other times I don't.

Don't really believe Hiruzen was the strongest btw.

8. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

It's usually done well even in weaker series and I tend to like the characters this trope applies to so yes.

9. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

It's one of the tropes that bothers me the least I suppose.

10. largewhitebiceps Biggest Biceps in the universe

netero from hxh and ichiryuu from toriko are examples of manly and badass old men

11. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    :ramsaythunk

12. Amol Chief of Wisdom

PM me if you want but I don't feel like arguing with lot of HxH fans over something as subjective as liking(or disliking) a character.

13. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    :oldshrug

14. Lucaniel non serviam

like most tropes, it depends on how it's deployed. it can however get a little boring so again, like most tropes, occasionally subversion is always nice. when the trope includes an element of misdirection or restrained/not immediately apparent power, in the sense of a kindly or seemingly humble/harmless/weak old man who is at first disregarded or treated with contempt, but turns out to be the most powerful one around, and when the protagonist (or someone else) is distinguished by having treated him respectfully either because they're more insightful or because they just respect people in general, that situation's usually a good way to play it

the notion of "true power" being held by someone who's humble/self-effacing or unconcerned with aggression and the insecurity of constantly proving your own strength, because you can only attain it if you have a particular attitude, is underused in shonen. vagabond has a lot of that idea