1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you love or hate Jiraiya?

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Orochimaruwantsyourbody, Jul 5, 2018.

Do you love or hate Jiraiya?

1. He’s awesome!

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. hate him!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. I like him

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. I dislike him

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. He’s a good character

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. He’s a bad character!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. He's not a bad or good character

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Orochimaruwantsyourbody Well-Known Member

If you love him what's appealing about him? if you hate him why is he so detestable? Don't forget to vote.

Tags:
  2. Yin Yin Within Yin God, Shirogane Tsumugi / Danganronpa

Germany, Japan, Mexico
    He trained Naruto, he passed what he learned onto his son and Boruto will pass it on to the next gen. As for physical reasons he's a funny lookin' character though when he has to get serious he scary.
    :approved :sachilove

3. Bookworm Well-Known Member

He's one of the only prominent characters I feel wasn't butchered, so he has that going for him.

4. Go D. Usopp Straw Hats Wanker

easily top 5 best characters lul.

5. dante1729 Well-Known Member

But those who hates him are worse than scum.

He is awesome!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Zef Dark Magician

7. Priscilla Alabaster Corpse

not my favorite character ... but i like him at least

8. Catamount Wreak havoc

Tunisia
    ofc I like him
    love/hate is a bit to strong about drawn characters

9. Arthas Anko's Lover

BUT

I do have two issues with him that to be fair are more due to Kishi not thinking/planning.

1) Not even dropping in to visit Naruto while he was growing up despite being his godfather. WTH, if you can't handle the responsibility of being a godfather then don't accept the position.

I can be fair, maybe he was too busy being a 'SpyMaster' / Hentai Writer to actually raise Naruto but he could at least drop in check on the kid and let Naruto know SOMEONE cared for him and also give the Frog treatment to those who mistreated Naruto badly.

Not to mention, having Jiraiya around would actually be some kind of security for the kid if the same guy who released the Kyuubi the first time, came back to finish the job or just kidnap the nine tails jinchuuriki.

2) Training the Rain Orphans and Letting the Rinnegan go free : -

This is beyond Stupid in my view. Jiraiya's whole training and teaching Rain Orphans + the Rinnegan just being handwaved away.

A few of my problems :-

The War was still ongoing at the time.

Jiraiya upon seeing Three orphans just decides to stay put without asking permission from anyone such as his Sensei or Superiors.

Jiraiya upon discovering the most 'revered' dojutsu in a foreign boy, decides to train him and his friends and then let them go their merry way after training them.

Now am I the only one who had a slight problem with this?

I'll give Jiraiya top marks as far as compassion goes and more for being a good teacher etc BUT as far as being a good team member or ninja of Konoha goes...well I'd prefer to have Oro (and that says a lot of itself).

Oro had his role in being a bad team member but apparently so did Jiraiya. He decided to just leave his team for three years during war time. So while Oro + Tsunade (HIS TEAM! Wasn't teamwork a major point in this manga?) were doing dangerous missions, he was having a relatively easy time in rain country.

Next he didnt ask his superior's permission to just take a three year leave in war time and apparently was still in good standing when he returned to Konoha. Nice going from Sarutobi there, He apparently didnt just favor Oro but his entire team. No calling out the hunter nins or ANBU for Jiraiya....All I can say is this, with Sarutobi as an example its no wonder Tsunade is apparently not willing to let Sasuke be hunted by Hunter-nin and is sending Naruto & Co to bring him back.

Regarding Nagato, so the kid has a dojutsu that can kill a Chuunin untrained. Thats fine, what isn't fine is why the heck Jiraiya didn't bring the kid back to Konoha A.S.A.P! I'm sure Konoha would have been more then willing to train the kid and his freinds and bring them up as Konoha Shinobi. That way Konaha gets the Dojutsu, the kids get trained and live securely and Jiraiya is free to rejoin his team.

10. Kyu ~ █▬█ █ ▀█▀ ~

Jiraiya stands out as a fantastic character in a series where the ball has been dropped with so many. To his credit, even prior to the decline in quality he was a great character. It also helped tremendously he died off before Kishi got the chance to make him say or do some stupid shit.

I loved his personality, design(particularly his wardrobe as a younger man), & fighting style. Granted the man isn't without flaws. As mentioned above, he was an absentee godfather for 12/13 years, though this can be chalked up to a lack of authorial forethought.

Certain hardcore fans of Jiraiya have a twisted perception of his character, but that is their fault for buying into their personal head-canon, not the character himself, obviously.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. Ruthless Tsuchikage Active Member

I'm pretty neutral about the guy. I like him well enough but don't consider him to be especially amazing or interesting. He's a good dad figure for Naruto and has some amusing scenes.

The only problem I have with him is that we never really see his true potential and why he's so feared.

12. Zensuki Sasuke > your fav

Awesome skill set. Great teacher. The debate of which student of his changing the world (Pain or Naruto) was interesting.

He abandoned Naruto as a kid tho :mjpls:
    Guy was also too thirsty :camby

13. Maverick04 Susanoo's nose is a waste of Chakra

I liked his interactions with Naruto when the kid needed an Adult role model. Yes there was Kakashi but his training with Jiraiya was necessary.

And he uses toads..whats not to love about that

His perviness/creepiness and borderline pedophilia towards young Konan is whats bugs me

I hate Jiraiya fanboys though

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Derael Well-Known Member

There's actually a handful of people who dobecause of him leaving Naruto by imself (despite being his godfather) plus being a perv and also because of his comments to a 12yo Konan, saying she should come see him when she's legal basically (which was indeed kinda creepy, I'll give them that).

I personnaly like him (or at least I don't dislike him) but yeah the pervert guy trope thing never made me laugh though. I don't really see how it's funny. I had enough in DB and Ranma 1/2 growing up.
    Aside from that he was cool but I don't really miss him.

15. Raniero 『 』

I kind of like him, but it was shitty of him to just ignore Naruto's existence for 12 years despite being his godfather and everybody seems to ignore that. Though you can blame that on Kishimoto's incompetent as a writer and lack of foresight and proper planning. I doubt Jiraiya's role in Naruto's backtstory and parentage was even planned out when the series started, but he did a bad job covering his ass with the "too busy with his spy network" or whatever shit.

16. PikaCheeka Well-Known Member

I don't hate him but I never liked him very much. I've never been crazy about the perverted-old-man character and I just found him irritating and kind of pathetic. He handled a lot of situations pretty horribly too, which isn't a reason to dislike him in itself (I love some characters who make moronic choices :lmao abandoning his godchild for over a decade was rather abhorrent though), but that combined with his personality and his general attitude about things after the fact just made him pretty unlikable.

17. Entae Member

I loved Jiraiya! I’m not sure what it is, but something about the guy is just really neat to me. Despite how strong he is, he never seems to take himself too serious, though when it boils down to it, he has no problem slamming the books on the table. I like a character who does not boast about strength that they clearly have and would really not be wrong to do so if they did. I feel as though he is what Naruto would have become, had he chosen a slightly different route and not become so mature or quiet as the hokage. Well, minus the pervy aspect. lol

18. Muah HADE BARA BOGE PYA

Anybody who doesnt love jiriya is a piece of shit lower than thrash. He's the closest thing naruto had to a father, teacher or real friend. It's the closest thing kishimoto had to a great character.

19. Dark Wanderer Lonesome Crow

I don't care for the perverted aspect of his character, otherwise he's alright. I also have to question why he left Naruto alone.. and he only trained him because he happened to be in the village at the time, and Naruto kept pestering him.

20. Indra I can't stop eating

Though I never liked that he never visited Naruto once.

21. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Decent character, horrifically crappy teacher, and father figure, and godfather, and info guy. Now that I think about it has he even done anything right?

22. Raiden formerly President Goobang

I think it was a big mistake to get rid of his character to be honest. Taking out someone with a big presence in the series puts more focus on the other characters, many of which needed additional time. My personal theory is that several character deaths likely made the ending of the series less interesting to fans than it could have been...

23. WorldsStrongest Man of Miracles

Canada
    Hes all right

Overrated from both a character and a capabilities standpoint, but hes all right

24. Dattebayo-chan License to Fangirl

Sweden
    I love the J-Man! :love

He had to grow on my me though, to be honest. At first I thought he was a weird and annoying pervert, but I got to know him, and I started to like him a lot.

25. The_Conqueror Well-Known Member

Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Poland
    :scust

26. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

I think he's a great character. A hero we could root for despite being so heavily flawed. (I mean the flaws that were added to his character with good writing rather than flawed writing that might not have made him a good character).
    His main flaw as a hero (besides the old pervert running joke) is that he was irresponsible. He avoided raising Naruto and avoided becoming Hokage because he felt like a failure after Minato died and Orochimaru left Konoha.

Jiraiya's one of the better Naruto characters because he's one of the ones who's motivations didn't have to be outright explained by another character, or crammed in with a flashback at the last minute. We're left to figure it out. Jiraiya's thoughts clarified things. But they didn't give us a bunch of new information because his character had experienced and grown naturally throughout the story.

27. WorldsStrongest Man of Miracles

Canada
    He is dude :catshrug

There is some disgusting shit spread about that cat in the NBD on a daily basis, and hes vastly overrated from a writing standpoint as well.

Almost every other mentor character in shonen who i can name is done better than Jman is

Just a fact :catshrug

28. Architect of the Works of Beauty

Neither. Don't care about him, but his fans are annoying.

29. MaskettaMan Well-Known Member

He's a well-written, likable character. Toads are cool. Might be the deadbeat dad of my favorite original Boruto character.

:approved

30. Silnaem Nothing for Wisdom

He is a good creation but a pisspoor character

What do I mean?
    What Kishi was trying to do when he created Jiraiya, he achieved. Jiraiya accurately, in my opinion, represents his archetype (which I can't find an encompassing word/label for). So he is good in that regard.
    As a character tho, in terms of who he is, he is terrible. He is a hypocritical bundle of selfishness who makes his way through the darkness of the world while preaching against it as soon as he's tired of it. Only Naruto has irritated me more

The fact that the author then tries to make him out as some type of hero makes it worse. While I don't hate him outright, he certainly irritates me