1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Do you support cloning why or why not?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Beo, Oct 11, 2006.

Do you support cloning?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2006.
  1. yes

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. not enough info.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Beo InuKage

I support cloning to a limited extent.
    I am against cloning people or anmals entirely.
    But cloning could be used to make perfect organ transplants.
    Give your reasons please.

Tags:
  2. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

Cloning all the way. Too many thing to gain from it to ban it.

3. Firedraconian Lather, rinse, repeat

I'm up for cloning a perfect replica of myself and using highly invasive brain surgery to transfer myself to a younger body.

Yar.

4. Kasedilla Is naked under her clothes. D:

I support cloning, but only to a certain extent.

Cloning organs would be a wonderful thing, but cloning entire humans or animals?

Uh... no.

There are just too many issues with it, the main one being the threat of clones being treated as second-class citizens.

I mean, the only real use of clones would be spare body parts, but the idea of cloning people solely for that would be highly inhumane. (It'd be sorta like "Oh, hey, your original needs a new heart, mind if we use yours? Oh wait, who cares what you think! You're just a bunch of spare bodyparts! ^_^")

And if laws were made to protect clones, which would inevitably happen, then they would no longer have a purpose and pretty much end up taking up space, using up resources, and contributing to population issues n' such. Then people would be like, "Okay, why did we think clones were so great again?"

So... yeah. It's not a good idea to clone entire people, but cloning organs?

Why not?

There are so many things to be gained from it, and there really aren't any significant morality issues concerning spare organs, so I say 'Go for it!'

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  5. Purgatory Banned

I'm against it, especially on dead people, because they're not really the same, personality-wise. I think cloning entire humans should be banned. It just isn't right, and I'm not referring to my religious-ness, it's just common sense not to clone someone because even if they look the same, they aren't the same on the inside.

6. Bro Tai Jr. Bro Tai Jr.

I am up for cloning. I would make a clone of myself and then fuck it.

I'm against it, especially on dead people, because they're not really the same, personality-wise. I think cloning entire humans should be banned. It just isn't right, and I'm not referring to my religious-ness, it's just common sense not to clone someone because even if they look the same, they aren't the same on the inside.

Umm...Who says that cloning is just for personality? I mean they could use it for military perposes, they could use it for industry, or just for fun, I mean you can clone a baby and then throw it off a building and then clone another and throw it off, over and over.

7. Angel Haiku Flying to the top

Cloning is ok with me but to a limited level.It would be good for Organ transplant's but with animal's no way!Even if I could get my dog back he wouldn't be the same!So not on animals!

8. ez Jesus Christ

i'm willing to throw away my silly ethics if it means curing some diseases

9. RasenganUltimate Member

Cloning is kinda creepy >_< If you can clone somebody, people start to lose their sense of identity.

10. Bisuke IPaint

not enough info.

>>

but why not? as long as it's for the better and as long as they don't use it on me. I don't wanna see my doppelganger, lolz~

11. Black Mage Damage Dealer

IF they could clone me I'de be all for it cuz it would be funny

Like "Aye, you are me and I am you"....lol

12. Amaretti No strong feelings whatsoever

I'd love to have a clone of my own.

The definition of masturbation might have to change though.

13. Saufsoldat POOP TRAIN CONDUCTOR

A clone of mine would be totally useless:

I: Hey get me a coke, clone.
    Clone: Well you know that it is not good for your health if I do everything for you besides would you really force a human being like Me and You to work?
    I: Hey your just a clone!
    Clone: Aren't we all little clones deep inside. Isn't it the things we do that make us who we are?
    I: You're so right brother:cry I'll get the Coke myself.
    Clone: Get me one too then.
    I: No problem my friend!:cry

14. Bisuke IPaint

^ aren't clones supposed to think the same way their original does?

>>

:oh

15. myle Smile! :-D

No, the environment affects our thoughts.

16. Zetamancer Mugetsu

I'm all for cloning. It would greatly reduce the difficulty in finding donors for people. Someone needs a liver? Clone it. Someone needs a kidney? Clone it. Someone needs a new heart? Clone it. None of that mechanical heart bullshit.

I don't really have an opinion towards cloning humans. It's not inheritely bad, nor is it good. Actually I suppose if we cloned humans to be more than lab experiments it would be bad. Population increase and the death rate won't keep up. Overpopulation of the world's surface = bad.

17. AstraeaX Don't Panic!!

cloning is an annoyingly long and difficult process seriously...PCR & stem cell is much preferable considering they aren't very difficult to perform and have a higher success rate.

18. Squire of Fate Active Member

QFT, as long as they remain under our control.

19. Jh1stgen Active Member

Can be used in both good and bad ways~

It really is a battle in ethnic and morality

20. Beo InuKage

The point is that they could could perfect cloning techniques with practice.
    Need a new organ? Sure it'll be ready in a week. Now doesn't that sound like a good thing?

21. Kasedilla Is naked under her clothes. D:

Not necessarily.

While they may start out with the same basic personality n' such, in the end, they wouldn't think exactly the same. That's kinda like saying identical twins think the same way, which is pretty ridiculous.

True, they may have the same DNA, but do they have the same memories and past experiences? I think not.

Unless the clone's life happened to be EXACTLY the same as the original's, the clone would probably think a bit differently due to past experiences n' such.

Here's an example: Say the original person loved spiders as a kid, but then was bitten by a venomous one and started to develop an arachniphobia.
    Now say the clone also loved spiders, but was never bitten by one, and therefore never grew fearful of them.
    Alright, now say they both ran into a spider at the same time. Would they react the same way? I think not.

Okay, so that example was a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.

Clones are not exactly the same as their originals. They are people with their own thoughts, their own desires, and all in all, their own life. They may technically just be copies, but they are still human beings. That is why there are issues with cloning entire people.(Well, that and the fact that they'd take up a lot of space and resources, but the whole morality and ethics issue is the biggest one.)

Aaaand... I'll shut up and go away now. ._.

22. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

The moral part of me is saying no...it would be opening a can of worms
    The other yet significantly greater part of me is screaming "CLONING HOW FUCKING COOL"
    we are having population problems do you really think we want to be making more babies?

23. Beo InuKage

I wonder why someone religious hasn't posted here yet?

24. Havoc Basted God

No, because then we'll have Clone Wars.

25. bagelgod Coolest guy ever

Hell yea I want a clone! I need Organs, and then I could marry myself. The only person sexier than me is a clone of me!

26. TheInfamousFlatline The Epitome of Hardcore

I agree with several people here. Cloning organs and such could be awesome and help a lot of people, but cloning whole persons would be a bad idea. And no one wants another one of me runnin' around...XD

27. The Lazy Shadow Gin Iro no Sora

I support cloning for the fact that if I call out kage bunshin no jutsu and put my hand together the people who come out of the bushes will actually be me.

About the obeying thing I believe things will probably turn out to be like the movie the island where our clones live until we need them.

You know what would be ridiculously ironic if to get rid of the clones we burn them and there ashes can be used for multiple things like alternative fuel and cures for things.

28. Narvi Member

What? No, man, no! That's really ill-thought out!

First of all, you don't need to clone whole people to make compatible new organs. Anyway, even if you do clone a whole person... he will just be another person. Just a person genetically identical to you, like an identical twin.

Cloning does not make you any less of a person, anymore than so-called "test-tube babies" are any less of a person for how they are concieved. They wouldn't be kept isolated till we had need for them! Don't let Hollywood tell you how stuff like this would work.

Secondly; getting "rid" of them by burning them, and using their ashes for fuel and things? This isn't the "Matrix", where people somehow are batteries. You might as well incinerate a human being of today and use him as gas!

Lastly, I understand you might not have been totally serious about this, but your (rather uninformed) post just rubbed me the wrong way.

29. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

I'm religious and I'm for cloning. There.

30. The Lazy Shadow Gin Iro no Sora

Yeah I wasn't serious that would be wrong on so many levels.

I think there will only be a limited number of clones, if not this then there will be clones and they will probably not have personalities or any noticeable features so that nothing bad actually happens and we can use their organs with out feeling "guilty" about it. Basically they'll probably just end up being dolls for personal use.