1. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice

2. The second Alley Banner contest is finally here! Come check it out here for details
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details.

Dismiss Notice

Do you wish the gaming world would stay as it was 6-10 years ago?

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Birkin, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Birkin Banned

I certainly would love it. No online gaming, no pretty graphics. Awesome gameplay. Awesome addictions.

Those were the days. God I miss those.

Tags:
  2. Monkey D. Dragon Active Member

First off It's impossible for It to stay that way with out another game crash. The only way to do that otherwise would be to do what the Wii did only worse graphics.

Second 6-10 years ago would you would have basicly been the same as the last generation. Since those where the 64 bit days to about when the PS2 and DC where releasing. Of course that could be a little off.

3. Birkin Banned

We're not doing logic here. We're imagining. Would you or would you not like sequels till you drop along with new titles, only with the old consoles and what they have to offer? This is like the Super Nintendo/Playstation 1/Nintendo 64/Gameboy Color days.

4. Donkey Show Bukkage

Not really. Every generation has it's gems. As this one just started, you'll begin to see similar trends and better games that take better advantage of the systems they're on. Plus if it was 10 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to afford all the shit I have now, so screw that.

5. slimscane King Slime Scane

No, I don't. No matter how much I love the 16 bit era, as well as the rest of the sub 128, I don't see how anyone could want it never to evolve. I love me some 2d gaming, but it had it's era. Not to mention the fact that more power can equate to better sprite work. As far as 3d goes, it was horrible on the PS1, and as far as the N64 goes, it was good, but so rudimentary with only the most basic of 3d controls available to you.

6. Birkin Banned

In my opinion, they won't make any games better than Donkey Kong Country 1, Oddworld, MGS 1, Resident Evil 1/2, Siphon Filter 1/2 and basically my whole Super Nintendo collection. Those games were the shit back in the day. The games that stun you today, doesn't leave the same mark at all.

7. slimscane King Slime Scane

Resident Evil 1 and 2 are trash compared to 4, and for every classic game on the Super Nintendo, there are a handful of bad ones. It's only in retrospective that you can see all the great games on their own, just as with any generation; after the new gen has come, you only hear about the bad games of the previous if they were extraordinarily bad, otherwise you only hear about the classics.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  8. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

6 yes , 10 no. (6 was around the time where the turn based rpgs started to turn to action rpgs and lame FPS games started to spawn here and there cause of halo.

9. Purgatory Banned

Man...the SNES era was the shit. It'd be awesome if it never died..

10. Batman M.I.S.

Meh, Every console had gret games. I have just as many fond memories from the nes as I do from the ps1 and n64. Once this gen takes off and running, It'll be the same all over again.

11. Donkey Show Bukkage

Well, when you're younger, you are a lot more impressionable and thus making it less fair when comparing newer games. I'm sure kids who are getting into gaming around the PS2 era and on will have similar views to games in the future. I mean, I can see it now, "Halo is soooooooo much better than Game X. Shit back then was awesome compared to now." As you get older, your tastes begin to differ, so on and so on, so it's all relative.

I mean, it was a totally awesome experience when I got my NES with the Zapper and the Power Pad when I was 6. 19 years later, I felt the same when I opened up that Wii and played Wii Sports. The charm is there in all generations, but sometimes we're too jaded with expectations that we fail to see it.

I am still waiting for another Kirby Superstar experience though. Gimme now!

12. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I'd rather have it be ten years into the future. Cheap consoles + games = win. Plus, MGS4.

13. Donkey Show Bukkage

14. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

15. mystictrunks The BOWSS

16. Twilit Goes down smooth.

I really have to think about it. I sometimes miss the simplicity of games, like Crash ONE and Super Mario for the GBC, but then again, I love how in depth story lines are getting.

All in all, I say no, because we can still enjoy old games if we want, but we also have freedom to expand.

17. _Amaterasu_ Jet Black Flame

Why would you ever want games 6-10 years ago? You may look back and think those games were so great, but you will do the same things about these games 6-10 years later... Of course, i didn't play too many games 10 years ago (as I was 5) but I don't understand why people think it was *so* great, and nothing these days can compare. Those games started it all, and these games expand on them in every way. Graphics, Story, Gameplay... The best games now are superior to best games then in EVERY way. Its just in retrospect, you remember the good times, something you won't think about these games until later.

Just like cars. Back then (more than 10 years lol) they were all new and the talk of the town, but cars now share the same purpose except expand on them in every way. I don't see anyone wanting to go back then.

18. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Was thinkin' more along the lines of $250. >.>

19. slimscane King Slime Scane

That's up for debate, at least in the story and gameplay criteria. :amuse

20. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

Totally agree....still haven't played a game with better story than ff8 or legend of dragoon or better gameplay than ff7 10 and CT.

21. Stumpy Ǧ̴͚͠ǒ̳̹̘̄̈́ǫ͚̪͊ͬ̄̿ͮ̍͑ ́͢d̥ ̤̼̈̀͌

22. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

I have, FF12 kicked every FF ass in gameplay :)

23. FFLN The Smexiness has arrived

Oh, this is mainly focusing on console gaming then. When I first read the title, I thought it also included PC gaming.:p

If videogames had not progressed for the past 6-10 years, then not all of us would still have the interest to even check out a video gaming forum, much less include one on a board like this. If the graphics had remained the same, the story-telling the same, the gameplay the same, I would've eventually realized the repetitiveness of it all and I probably would've dropped the gaming interest.

Since gaming has progressed, and greatly, since the past 6-10 years, it's still got my attention and the attention of millions of other gamers. There are the classics that people yearn for, of course, but those classics are still there for you play, if you've still got that much interest in them. If you don't play them very often or at all though, that probably shows that you can no longer stand their style or presentation, even if the gameplay is still fun.

I can think of a bunch of games that were fun back then, but now I can't spend more than a few minutes in front of them without being turned off by the graphics, gameplay, story, etc. For example, I wouldn't be able to play some FPS games from back then, simply because they had nothing to control for motion-sickness. The current good FPS games right now seem to have managed to fix that, so I can go on my merry way in a first-person perspective. Another example would be some isometric view for an RPG. I could've loved playing it when it first came out, but now, the lack of visual detail would probably turn me off.

Anyway, this is getting long-winded, and you can get the gist of my post already. I'm probably just reminiscing now.:p

24. Takumi Matsuki when in trouble bubble

That was a joke right? Resident evil 1/2 were to much better than Re4. Not to sound like a close minded Hardcore Re fan that I am, but Resident Evil 1/2 left marks on you that Resident Evil 4 just couldn't.

It's hard to compare these games because they're so different. Resident evil 4 is an action shooter more than a survival horror. Resident evil 1 was a"Holy fuck a zombie came out of that closet, lets go back to wandering around halls until another one pops out" thats what the series started as and and was all about but resident evil 4 left that in the dirt. Some people like it. Others don't. All you can say about it.

On topic
    If you mean could I go back and relive those years again? I'd say hell yeah. For them to stay the same as they were forever no.

25. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

without innovation the Videogame industry would die. Games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Crysis and HellGate London will certainly prove that great graphics and gameplay can go together. As for Online play I like that, but I like having multiplay in addition to singleplayer not instead of.

26. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

I feel you, accept the exact opposite. Wher ei feel RE1 and 2 were boring and left nothing but "Crappy Crappy angels" in my mind. RE4 changed my mind and kicked so much ass. :amuse

27. elnaruto Member

old games + recent graphics = perfect game

we can also call this math "remake"

I'd love to see a FF6 game for a ps3 or xbox 360, really. (I know it wont happen, though..)

The old gameplays were awesome.
    The recent graphics are great and some gameplays are good enough for me , so I think I'll stay with the graphics, cuz thanks to them we'll be able to play Halo 3 and GTA IV =D!!

I totally agree with crazymtf.
    I didnt like re1-2-3 as much as re4. I really enjoyed re4 cuz the gameplay and the story were awesome. (Im not saying that re1-2-3 were shit, the stories were awesome but I just didnt like the gameplay of those games.)

28. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

To be honest, this generation has done nothing yet. You know the leap in each generation of gaming normally was BIG , but this gen? eh at best .

SNES to N64, that era was awesome and what a leap in gaming as well

N64 to DC / Ps2/GC etc another great leap but after that? just feels like the same old same old in terms of gameplay / story.

plus back in those days PC gaming was awesome!

29. Birkin Banned

I have never read more truth about Resident Evil. RE 1/2 was awesome. RE 4 was shit in comparison, as it wasn't in the Survival Horror genre anymore.

30. Kami-Sama The one with the Lesbian Avy.

and for my answer it's an obvious no.

why?

if it stayed that way there would be a limit to what a developer would do...it would reach a point in where the hardware could limit the imagination...

Perfect example is MGS.

when you see an interview with kojima he always get exited about the possibilities of the new hardware, going on like i couldn't do that before and i can do it now. if the hardware stayed still... it would reach a point in where developers would want to do something but there isn't the hardware to back it up.

There's a wrong miss-conception going around that Gameplay and great hardware power doesn't go along, which is blatantly wrong.

For those who said that RE1/2 are better than RE4 make me laugh.. jesus... i'm not saying that RE1/2 are crap.. but C'MON after playing RE4 going back to pre-rendered backgrounds and tank-like controls i say give me RE4 once a week and twice on sundays... and for those who say that RE4 is not scary i say one thing... regenerators noise on the background.....

it is pretty normal to go back in the mind, and say ohhh those were the good times... of course it is easy since you remember playing only the good games.....

you don't go, "ohhh i remember when i rented last action hero for the snes and had to go to the hospital to repair my brain damage" or "damn those superman 64 times were great"

try to embrace this generation for what it is... a great opportunity for the Gaming industry to keep evolving, new graphics, new modes of play, great immersion, and so on....

i know i will, instead of keep whining...