1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Else think...

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Greed00, Nov 12, 2005.

What do you think of the English Naruto's Voice?

1. What are you talking about?! Its Perfect!

20.8%
  2. It's good... Not Great, but good.

29.2%
  3. It's tolerable to some extent.

31.3%
  4. Wow... It's so bad, I think I have cancer...

18.8%
  1. Greed00

Does anyone else think that thay chose the worst possible chioce for the english Naruto? Uggh...

Post your opinions. :cool

Tags:
  2. nah-nah

Huh? I don't understand. Worst possible choice for what?

Anyway... There's already a complaints thread.

[edit]
    oh, VOICE. Yeah, I know someone who would agree with you. Anyway, yeah, I like Flanagan's version of Naruto.

Yeah, I like her version. She's no Takeuchi Junko, but she does the voice really well.

3. Greed00

It's not a complaint, I just want to know what others think of the choice for the english casting of Naruto. But, my opinion is, if you're going to chose a voice for them main character, make the voice nice and soothing, not whiny and loud. I say this because we're going to hear alot of Naruto, and I plan on watching it alot. :cool

Edit: Oh, sorry if I didn't make it clear earlier... That was my fault...

4. nah-nah

Naruto isn't supposed to be nice and soothing though. He's SUPPOSED to be whiny and loud. XD That's just how Naruto is.

5. TenshiOni

I think Maile does a pretty good Naruto. She needs to work on some of her emotional acting, but I've accepted her and dub Naruto has come to grow on me.

6. ichinii30

Naruto sounds like luffy from the one piece dub
    bottom line= me don't like

7. Ikke AshLEE

Yeah, but Naruto is loud. I don't know how you could do nice and soothing with him. Even in the Japanese version he's like that. People may not like the dub Naruto's voice, but they translated the essence of his character well enough with it. At least I think.

Don't get me wrong, though. I totally heart Takeuchi Junko-san! She's one of my fave seiyuu ever. Believe it. XD

Greed-san, just curious. Have you seen any of the original Naruto anime?

8. Greed00

I know that Naruto is suppose to loud, but it's just the choice of that voice...

Does any one remember the english Rurouni Kenshin voice of Yahiko(sp?). That would of been a perfect voice for Naruto.

9. Ikke AshLEE

I vaguely remember it...I'm sure Wendee Lee did Yahiko under a pseudonym. She is a talented woman, I'll agree. But I'm already so used to Maile Flannigan's voice, and watching the dub wouldn't be the same. Heh.

10. rageinfectedmonkey

I think its fine. Lacking in some areas, but ALL dubs lack in the areas the...voice...lacks in.
    You cant hate the dub for fucking with emotional scenes when ALL dubs fuck with emotional scenes.
    Just look at episode 25 of FMA and compare languages.

11. Greed00

All I'm saying is just imagine... I imagine that it would be better the way I described it... :cool

12. martryn

I agree that it was the worst case scenario as far as Naruto's voice goes. He always sounds the same. I can live with all the other voices but that one.

And Samurai Champloo has some kick ass voice acting. I think that's the best of the best (having watched both the sub and dub).

13. Chiru

14. Kagalli

Don't like Naruto's english voice. Personally sounds kinda constipated to me :sweatdrop
    But I can put up with it >.>

15. Greed00

I think it is Luffy frome One Piece... :cool

16. Kagalli

Naruto's VA and Luffy's VA are not the same. Luffy's VA is Erica Schroeder.

17. Greed00

Ah, I see... The voices are still annoying though... :cool

18. ShadelessNyght

It is a voice that you can put up with, but you don't want to hear if you can help it. Kinda like when your mom or girlfriend is nagging at you. You hear it, it annoys you, you put up with it, but you really don't want to be be listening as your mind drifts to somthing else as you nod at the needed times.

Oh >_> and yeah the voice is just plain bad.

19. Teh Hokage of Teh Salsa

Ahh I am new here and I also had some thoughts on his voice.. I am a huge biased Uzumaki Naruto fan and after watching all the anime episodes I now see what the dubbed version is doing wrong.. Naruto sounds like a 7yr old Irish brat in the dubbed... and in the subbed episodes.. his voice is deeper and more related to his age.. I personally dont like the voice acting for Naruto as well as Kakshi and Sasuke.. pssh Sasuke sounds malier than Kakashi XD.. But I'm straying off topic here.. Naruto is supposed to sound whiny and loud and yes that is his nature but the dubbed brings that to a ridiculous new level.. he isnt that annoying.. The subbed episodes made him sound more mature and more *his age*... The dubbed seems to fit him as a stereotypical high pitched voice brat who has nothing better to do than annoy the licing hell out of us watchers XD That's my opinion on the matter.

20. Greed00

Does any one have any Ideas of who should of been hired for Naruto's voice? :cool

21. IveGotCandy

I think it's perfect for him if you think of it this way: Naruto is a show that breaks the normal expectations for a show. Compared to Sasuke, Naruto seems like just a secondary, comic relief character. In fact when you look at everything in retrospect, Sasuke seems mor like main character material. This is why Naruto as a show is unique. instead on focusing on deep-old Sasuke, the show instead looks at the life of the most unsuspected candidate, the loser-class-clown-idiot-secondary-character Naruto. And when you notice a trend in most animes, dub or original, most secondary/ comic relief characters have dopey or annoying voices. So, if you took the time to read this, you may understand the dub team's logic.

22. kakashi1234

True there cause most of the time i think of sasuke as the main character cause he is wanting to kill that one person.I know who it is just dont wanna spill the beans to the new people to naruto.

23. Spectrum

Have you seen the Japanese version by any chance, Greed? Apologies if you have; I'm just assuming otherwise based on your other thread asking how Sasuke was supposed to be pronounced. :wink Anyway, I'm just wondering if you might feel somewhat differently about Naruto's voice if you had seen the original first. I know that one of the main reasons I grew to like Maile's portrayal of Naruto so quickly was because her voice was so similar to Takeuchi Junko's. I mean, if Junko had been a native English speaker and had voiced the dub Naruto herself, I really don't think he'd have ended up sounding all that differently. Her performance might be a bit more emotional, but other than that, they sound very much alike.

So in short, I like Maile's Naruto. It's very close to what I'm used to, and I think her performance has been steadily improving since the first few episodes (as happens with all VAs). There are times she's absolutely nailed her lines, gotten them absolutely perfect; and conversely, there are times when she's screwed up and failed to come across in quite the right way. But on a whole, I think she's done a great job so far. And I definitely can't picture anyone else in the role.

(Not to mention I'd hardly consider her the worst possible choice even if I didn't like her. I can think of quite a few VAs who I might have hated; Joshua Seth, for instance, was a favorite fan choice but would have been completely wrong, IMO.)

24. Greed00

Yeah, your right, I've never seen the original Japanese episodes, it's just... It seems like they could of done better. Ya know? :cool

25. Jinnai

Her voice is fine. It sounds like the original. I still don't think she's qualified to be Naruto though. She's done mostly children's shows, which are nothing like anime. Anime is usually more emotional, and I don't think she has enough experience. This is obvious in her work so far, as she sounds the same no matter what the situation. I hope she improves on this.

26. Man of a Thousand Jutsus

Naruto's voice is a "meh" I can't say I hate it, but I don't like it either. I do however like Kakashi's voice, as well as Sakura's, but that's another matter entirely.

27. kakashi1234

Yeh some of the characters voices are dang good like zabuza for instance but narutos sounds kind of a little high pitched sasukes voice sounds a little old for him and kakashi is about right and i think sakura sounds good to.Of course unlike haku whos sounds like a boy and girl voice mixed in between.

28. Illidin

I pesonally don't like any of the voices except Sasuke's :iik.I've already givin up on the dub and have been pretending the best I can that it doesn't exist :amuse.:barf

29. hakke

The japanese creative team, and Junko herself were there in the auditions and they picked MAile of all the 100's of other VA's... and everything goes thru them, anytime MAile has a question about how to say something, she calls them to make sure its right.

All this is on a Maile interview posted here 2 weeks ago or so.

So no, they didnt pick the worst.

30. TheVileOne

More and more, the complaints of the haters were laid to rest. So many of their assumptions were proven false. And the English dub more than proved itself.