1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Does being intelligent = being rational ?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Deleted member 84471, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Rationality outwardly appears to be inextricably linked with intelligence; but can one be intelligent yet irrational?

Irrationality may be defined as acting without logic, sense & reason. Is this a sign of a stupid person?
    What if one was all of the above yet knowledgeable and mentally acute in certain intellectual areas like geography or computers or..(w/e). I say you can have an intelligent irrational-ite.

Tags:
  2. GrimaH Absurdist

You gotta factor in instinctive urges that make us do something without thinking/against our thinking. It'll be present regardless of the level of intelligence, and is mainly affected not by intelligence but by the resistance put up against it.

3. Maramusa >9000

Well, it depends on what you call intelligent. Intelligence is quite a broad defenition, you can split it up in "school smarts" and "street smarts", but you can also split it up in more, much more detailed kinds of intelligence, like insight or mathematical talent.

4. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

of course how else do you explain great artists and women (hahahaha half kidding dont flame)

5. Esponer Brief Intermission

You can be extremely intelligent but completely lack rationality (mental disorder), or even within the limits of mental healthiness be intelligent but lack strong and tempered reason.

6. Dark Spirit Chicken!

imho,

intelligent = rational

and

stupid = irrational

and

wise = (balance between being) rational and irrational.

7. Edo Αρχίδια

I think it is possible, and LackingLack has a good point, I agree.

8. Luin Baka

Rationality, whilst often goes hand in hand with intellegence is not necessarially always so.

Rationality and logic is also something that is more prominent amonst males. Now girls, don't think im being sexist here. Its a normative fact. In the same way men are generally taller, they are generally more logical which makes us better able to read maps, take based on utilitarian outcomes etc, where women tend to be more irrational as they exibit more moral tendencies and pursue an ethic of care.

There is however, no gap between the intellegence of men and women. Therefore id have to say that they are seperate.

Also, id be careful to separate being learned and being intellegent. Intellegence is a measure of your capacity to think and use your brain, (i.e, to learn something) but you can be intellegent if if you don't know very much.

Any help?

9. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

yeah you can be learned and dumb too, thre are a lot of rich learned dumbasses i see on tv constantly, they piss me off

10. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Stupidity is defined in terms of intelligence, not rationality.

And while often the more intelligent you are the more rational you are that isn't always true.

Being rational is about being objective and being able to see the whole picture without emotions getting in the way.

Intelligence is just a measure of how easy it is for you to learn and understand concepts.

Clearly they are linked but it's not a causal relationship. It's not even always a postive correlation. Sometimes despite being intelligent people can't be rational, they are so wrapped up in thier intelligence that they don't think rationally.

So being rational and being intelligent are seperate things.

11. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

I know intelligent dumbasses. An oxymoron ? Yes, but they exist. Good at intellectual stuff, but failure at being humans.

12. The_Unforgiven Grazie Paolo

it depends how you explain rational. When Einstein proposed that light has a dual wave-particle nature, people thought it was irrational.

13. impersonal Banned

Being knowledgeable is not the same as being intelligent...

Anyway, I agree with you. People can be intelligent and completely careless and random in what they do.

14. Tokokage The first and only.

Being intelligent doesn't prevent someone from acting without logic, what with instincts, emotions, etc.

15. Mintaka Well-Known Member

Depends on how you are intelligent......if you have and I'ness about you or an autosentience if you will however if you have no emotions to accompany it then you may be completely rational but be a rather plain and boring, and possibly even disturbing individual who will do things that may be right logically but may not be right to those who have emotions and rationality or morals. However if you on the other hand have more of an emotional-ness to you and less rationality you may allow your emotions to rule you and end up doing very stupid things over said emotions. In the end one of our intellectual level must have a balance of rationality and emotion. Although who knows of those who may be more intelligent than us.....

Even with the perfect mix of those two though things may still go awry were not perfect beings and we have our flaws.

16. Lindsay NERV Captain

you can be intelligent but act irational or "without thinking".

17. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

I know a guy who can do fifth-degree equations in mathematics, and yet he responds very violently when charged with being a git. Regardless of intelligence, we are still human, and irrational behaviour, opinions and responses abound.

Whilst one is very knowledgeable on the field of biology, one does not necessarily favour the theory of global warming despite it being a very rational thing to do as one ought to be prepared for the worst. But, in science, the null hypothesis comes first, and so one does not necessarily think that it can be true for a greater purpose's sake more than ones own extent of understanding on the subject, discussed in a serious panel among politicians.

They just do not correlate, although they can be found together quite often. I suppose rationality only enhances ones ability to be intelligent, and not the other way around.

18. Distracted Well-Known Member

I always associate rationality with being logical. It takes a certain amount of intelligence to act rationally in any situation... however, that doesn't mean that if you act rationally you are intelligent.

Anyone can way the pro's and con's of a situation and chose the best action... some more so than others, and some with a fewer propensity for mistakes.

However, as anyone who has ever seen a savant can tell you, intelligence does not make you rational.

I have a couple friends who could do math equations that I couldn't even comprehend. I have a couple of friends that could sit down and write an essay in 2 hours that would take me a week to do... but those friends are some of the dumbest people I've ever met. Politically, philosophically, realistically... in every debate I've ever been in with these people I always seem to come out on top.

However, if you took an IQ test of our little group (the ability to do simple problems in a quick manner using all aspects of the mind) they would all probably dwarf me. I'm not dumb by any measure either, but they're ridiculous.

Yet if you sat us down and had us figure out the fastest route to drive to a location, I'd be the only person to factor in traffic.

19. DemonAbyss10 Demigod

My views on this differ from most people.

Intelligent people can be divided into multiple categories.

A few ill touch on are...

True Genius'
    Eccentrics
    The Wise Man

Im using my own definitions of these anyways.

All of these would be intelligent people, but ill explain the differences.

True Genius - Smart beyond all reason, and rational beyond belief (I dunno a good person who would actually fit here though.

Eccentrics - Smart, but can have bouts of irrational behavior or entirely irrational behavior even, and can have wierd personality quirks among other things. Good example is Albert einstien. Ive read bios on him before, and he can really indeed fit this category. some Eccentrics can also pull info outta nowhwere that they previously didn't know anything about. For example, the person could know absolutley nothing about the theory of relativity, then all of a sudden the info will just pop into his head and he/she will know it, and what it is.

The Wise Man. Smart, and balances rational and irrational thinking.

Me, i dunno where i would fit in anyways. prolly eccentric, as i am actually smarter than about everyone i have met, but i will completely lack common sense alot of times.

20. Serena_Ahnell You Trust Me, Don't You Baby?

I definitely missed the whole... Men are naturally more rational than women "fact" taught in school. I'd like someone to point me to a source, if there is one, that states as much. Hopefully, something like a recent textbook or scientific journal.

For maps (Men) versus landmarks (women) it isn't a matter of being more or less rational, but simply a different way of recognizing things. Either way, using one method or the other can get you to your destination.

Rationality and intelligence are not the same thing. It seems like a nice way to pair things up, but unfortunately things don't work that way. Also, intelligence comes in different forms and what may be considered rational to me may not be considered rational to someone else. Some of the what is/is not rational and intelligent ends up being opinion based.

21. Sky is Over Active Member

IMO, definetly no...

22. Seelas on a Forums Break

No. And not just because intelligent people sometimes "succumb" to irrationality either.

It's because, ultimately, you cannot justify rationality rationally. There are no self-evident truths that stand on their own, not even rationality. The adoption of any foundational beliefs must be irrational. Now, if one claims to be rational, if one believes to have adopted rationality as one of his unshakable principles, and yet is consistently unable to apply it, then I would consider him unintelligent. This is the case with most people, because purporting to be rational is all the rage and very few people are able to do it. But, in the most abstract sense, I would not call him unintelligent for omitting a strict adherence to rationality at all times from his foundational beliefs.

23. Bresakar Does want a Custom Title

Doing irrational things doesn't mean that you are less intelligent than a rational person. For example, if somebody you love is in danger you throw yourself for that person in the line instead of keeping away and don't get hurt which would be the more rational solution.
    Intelligence doesn't determine rationality but has a huge influence on how we define rationality for ourselves.

24. Grandmaster Kane Banned

Quoted for truth

But generally people that are considered smart

be it book or street

Are generally possessing of more rationality then most

There are a few exceptions but generally this rule holds true

25. TH4N4T0S Parasitus Venator

The answer is a question mark. Even with various psychological tests, none has thoroughly proven a person's intelligence level. Methods nowadays are more theoretical than empirical. Mental processes are things we cannot measure like physics or chemistry stuff. Very few would be able to create a means of measuring them easily.

In other words, intelligence may or may not have an effect on a person being rational or irrational.

But it is clear that not all brainy people are rational and all morons are irrational. Intelligence isn't a basis for it.

26. Luin Baka

Read Carol Gilligan's 'In a different voice'. Carol Gilligan is a famous 'difference feminist' and argues through a mix of empirical evidence, normative observations and psycological analysis that men are women are very different when it comes to logic, rationality and an ethic of care.

Also, rationality is objective. Morality is subjective. There are some recent philosophies which argue that there exist 'degrees of truth' with regards to logic but they are not very widly publisised or heralded by the philosophical community.

27. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

And I'd agree back with Carol that gender has little inherently to do with it. What matters more is how you're brought up. And so because most males are brought up generally in vaguely the same way, and the same with females you get this so called gender effect.

But it's not gender becuase that would make it genetic.

28. Descent of the Lion What 0Fear has always been

No. Simply put. Sometimes the most "intelligent" people are the most misguided.

29. Giovanni Rild The mods are my enemy

I was considered a prodigy in school. But I wear my emotions on my sleeve.