1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Does One For All Slowly Kill The Possessor Once Passed On?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Tayimus, May 22, 2016.

Does One For All Take The Possessor's Life?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. No.

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. Tayimus Number One

I just wanna know what the consensus is on this. I say yes.

Tags:
  2. Yak Well-Known Member

No. I see no reason why it should.

3. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

The users "essence" is added to the collection of previous users.

4. Xiammes All For One Administrator

I don't think its killing All Might, just that he is getting weaker at a more rapid rate then previously.

5. luffy no haki 1st Seat

i think that you just get back to being a normal person, it´s killing AM cause of is injury or whatever

6. Tayimus Number One

No reason. Before, I thought it was because of hints concerning Nana's death. However, since we've found out it was cause of AFO, I have nothing. I just always thought it'd be the ultimate irony that even if All Might were to not be killed, or die from AFO's old attack, he would still be doomed upon passing on OFA.

Your question doesn't fit the sentence that comes after. While I understand what you mean, I could ask what life would a person have without their "essense"?

7. Yak Well-Known Member

But seeing how the power has gone through the hands of multiple heroes already you'd think at least one of them would have figured that out and then simply not pass on this quirk to the next generation and live out his life and pass away in a natural death, thus eventually driving the cruel (but awesomely powerful) quirk to extinction. A drastic measure but maybe for the best.

So... I don't think the author would ever go down this path. If this was a darker-themed seinen manga, maybe :p

8. Tayimus Number One

I really doubt that. We have confirmation that at least three wielders of OFA all had the same heroic disposition. Four, if you count Toshinori's words about the first, but we dunno how accurate that is. It's completely out of character for them to let the Quirk die with them and deprive the world of its greatest defender. One of the reasons the successors are picked in the first place is because they have that selfless quality. It'd also explain why it was so difficult for All Might to find someone worthy.

Not to mention, OFA doesn't stop someone from living a long life. It's walking catastrophes like AFO that does.

9. Yak Well-Known Member

But they weren't the greatest defenders. Canonically it was stated that only All Might himself was the symbol of peace who brought villainous deeds and crimes to a constant low. Meaning his predecessors weren't nearly as successful. Which probably has to do with the quirk now having "ripened" enough yet at that time since it accumulates and hones powers.

In an early state the personal health risks might have far outweighed its usefulness so I could theoretically see them discard it in such a scenario. I guess it comes down to whether you, the possessor of the power, want to die a slow death just to pass on a superpower.

10. Tayimus Number One

Sorry, I should have been clearer here. By "greatest defender," I actually meant OFA itself and the potential it had. That potential being realized in All Might.

I don't understand what personal health risks you mean, or what they have to do with anything. Do you mean the damages OFA does to a newly acquired body? I should hope each possessor did what All Might did and warn their chosen one of that. Do you mean having a dangerous occupation such as hero? We're told they all fought AFO, they decided their destiny. Or do you simply mean the final hazard? Again, OFA doesn't prevent a long life.

11. Yak Well-Known Member

I mean dying by passing it on. OFA only thrives from passing it on, that's how it stacks power, that's how it develops. But doing so - in your hypothetical scenario - would kill the user. So, in the early stages it was a relatively "weak" quirk (compared to what it is now) that came with the risk of killing you the moment you decide on passing it on to someone.
    It takes some extraordinary bravery to do that, knowing fully well that you will die once you have passed it on and with no guarantee that the hero you gave it to would even make proper use of that gift. That's the initial health risk I implied, if the quirk had worked like you suggested. That's why I was trying to argue that maybe in its early stages a hero might have rather extinguished this quirk alltogether instead of developing it.

12. Tayimus Number One

Okay, because either I'm not explaining my point well enough, or you're disregarding it entirely, I'm gonna try another way. I'm twenty-nine years old right now. Were I to have One For All, I'd be hella fucking scared to pass on a quirk that will slowly (I never said it'll kill the moment it's passed on. All Might is still alive) take my life. But if I was, say, ninety-nine years old, I very highly doubt I'd care about passing on OFA, the world needs it. I lived a long, productive life (which OFA did not stop) and my affairs are in order. It's now time to pass on the power and live out the rest of my days.

See what I mean? That's not even really bravery. That's...practicality, really. Bravery would be more like what All Might is doing, "FUCK! I'm not even middle-aged yet! I dont wanna die! But I gotta find someone worthy to pass this shit to! That motherfucker AFO gouged out half my insides! I'm might DIE FROM THIS SHIT! And If I die, the power dies with me! But if I pass it on, I might die sooner! FUCK! But...I have to do what must be done..." :catcry

I hope I made myself a little clearer.

And the guarantee of the next in line using OFA properly? Is that not already a huge risk? Even if OFA doesn't kill previous wielder, what the fuck are they supposed to do if the successor decided to use the Quirk for evil once all the power was transferred? Could that not also be a reason it took All Might five years to find someone worthy? Logically, it should be.

13. Yak Well-Known Member

I fully understand that but frankly, we are talking the hero business here. These guys fight criminals all the time, some of them are extremely dangerous. Look at how relatively young Toshinori is and he already had life-threatening injuries with life-time lasting after-effects from the surgeries and the guy his probably in his 30s still.

I really understand where you are coming from and I agree with that logic but in reality, do the heroes who wield and wielded One For All really have the leisure to live out their life to such a high age or are they nor more often faced with situations where they need to pass on the baton way before they intended? Then it's less about practicality, imo.

But I won't force my point of view on your, if that's the impression you are having, I'm only trying to see all the possible angles and reactions one could have when wielding OFA in a scenario where it is a quirk that kills you upon passing it on. So, sorry if I come off as thick-headed.

14. Tayimus Number One

I am confused here. Exactly when were we not talking about the hero business?

Wait...

I am confused here again. Exactly where did I show that I did not already understand your point before you stated it?

Eh?

Here too. Exactly where did I show that I did not already understand your point before you stated it?

Umm...

Yes, again. Exactly where did I show that I did not already understand your point before you stated it?

Though, I'll add something. I said All Might's example, if my theory is correct, is more about bravery than my exaggerated one. I exaggerated to ninety-nine years because you weren't getting that point (or not addressing it) til I did that. Now, about bravery, going back to what I said in my first response to you, the ones chosen to wield OFA are different from everyone around them. More courageous, more selfless. In my opinion, it is perfectly logical, perfectly grounded in reality, for them to be able to do that. They're different from you or I.

I wasn't thinking that you were forcing your point of view on me. I was thinking that I was either inadequately explaining myself, or you were ignoring my points (hence all the quoting beforehand). I still feel this a bit as you're still saying "a quirk that kills you upon passing it on". Again, All Might is alive. For quite some time too. I'm not saying it kills instantly. I haven't even said how long I think it'll take for the previous user to die, as I haven't got a clue. And as I think I've finally gotten across wjth my quoting myself, I was also already trying to see all possible angles.

You didn't come across as thick-headed at all. Mostly our views just differ based on...I dunno. So it is what it is. *shrugs*

15. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Its probably one of those after death type things.

16. Tayimus Number One

At this point, I have to humbly admit that I was wrong with this theory. Motherfucking All Might ain't dying any time soon. :catskully

17. White Wolf Super Moderator

I believe it works basically like. A passes on to B, As power reaches 0 (quirkless human level) and B gets A+B power level, B passes to C gradually B becomes 0 (quirkless level) and C gets A+B+C power level... and it goes on and on... so one day when Deku passes his power on he'd just go back to being a normal human, maybe weaker in general due to the power taxing his body, but effectively no death would happen cos of the power itself.

18. k2nice Well-Known Member

I think it acts as a recreational drug. Like when you use cocaine, which blocks dopamine removal and enhances the total amount you receive in a short period of time resulting in a hangover in which you're on a shortage of the stuff. All for one probably uses the users life force along precious bodily substances. After using it/ passing it down, the user is wrung out like a towel, doomed to a life looking like a dope fiend.

19. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

I'm not so sure. I recall a scene where Deku was speaking with Gran Torino. He was surprised to hear that All Might's predecessor was deceased, to which Gran Torino thinks, "So you haven't told him, Toshinori..." That has a rather ominous indication. Perhaps after transferring the quirk the former owner simply wastes away.
    Spoiler:

20. ~VK~ The King

pretty sure he was talking about all might not having yet told him about all for one and how he killed her

21. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

How did I miss this bit of information :noo--what chapter is that revealed in??

22. ~VK~ The King

chapter 59 i think right after the stain incident where deku and all might have that talk and all for one makes his formal debut. it's a pretty big chapter i don't really see how you missed it lol.

EDIT: no wait i think it was 57/58 when stain's fame spread and we saw all those new villains for the first time. that's where it was said first i think.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  23. Aphrodite Banned

It hasn't been said if all for one kills the user. So far everyone who has had it seems to of died from some villain and not all for one itself. All might is still kicking as well although granted he still has a little of it left in him, but i don't think he is gonna die from it.

24. ~VK~ The King

it was specifically stated multiple times that all for one killed shimura, including all for one himself.

25. Tayimus Number One

I believe @Aphrodite simple confused All For One and One For All...

26. Aphrodite Banned

27. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Thank you much for directing me to those chapters! I discovered that I somehow skipped past TWO arcs in my rush to catch up with the manga! :sweatdrop Reps to you! :thumbs

What exactly is to be made of Toshinori's thoughts here:
    Spoiler:

Is this a foreshadowing of the complete loss of quirk/power or does it allude to something darker?

Personally, I really like All Might and I hope Toshinori continues to live (and somehow that his debilitating injuries are healed--the poor guy is physically suffering).

28. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    I don't think it's killing the user, just making it weaker/more of a normal person.

29. Zhen Chan Silver Spoon Coon Hoe

I dont think so, I think its just accumulated wear and tear that afo no longer covers for

30. Soljah Super Ghost

All might was refering to him not having the power to stand with him later because he was losing them now. All might was already wore out career cut short if anything ofa kept him vitalized to that extent.