1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Doomfall (5e IC)

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

2. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Kingsport is one of the port cities responsible for the export of goods and the import of supplies to find those goods. Much of Cris is dedicated to seeking out of the past for various reasons and Kingsport is no different.

It is noteworthy for it's decorum, however. The land scape around it shows the marks of a battle one thousand years past. The giant sword in the ground dropped by some massive forgotten combatant, islands that float in the sky, refusing to fall through some means of unnatural trickery, and the downed ship, Reckless Abandon, that rests offshore.

The city is a diverse mix of different foods and peoples and styles of clothing and weapons from all over the land. Since people come from far and wide seeking riches in Cris they bring with them their wares, their preferences, and their gods.

Through the Dusk Market Bazaar with it's tents draped in brightly colored cloths and across the promenade that lines one of the city's riverwalks is a small stone building that has been standing since The Age of Heroes and is actually rumored to have been a tavern the same way that it is today.

But we're not concerned about what's happening in the tavern, above in the small attic room above the bar is a dusty table made out of rough cuts of wood with stools lined up around it. Candles line the walls and sit on the table, but most of the light is provided by a yellowing window set just where the wall begins to slant in to meet the roof.

It's a dull gray light as it's raining outside, some of the water leaks down around you in different parts of the room. It's already extinguished three candles.

Moira is next to the table and an older man stands over her holding a mug of the frothy stout from the tavern below.

3. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

The older man next to Moira is finely dressed, especially for this part of the world. His green, robe-like coat goes down past his knees and there is a vest below it fastened shut. Everything he wears is embroidered in gold and there's a smell in the room like fine spices and cinnamon that you suspect to be him. He looks at all of you in turn before speaking.

"This should be sufficient," he says as if there is anyone else there to survey the group before him. He nods his head approvingly at his own comment and then leans down on the table, placing his mug to the side and fixing his eyes on one of the candles in the distance.

"There's a matter that I'd like you to investigate for me and since I run a good portion of the industry down this way, it'd be in your best interest to comply. You'll need a benefactor here, someone to stick up for you and there's not a lot of us to go around, so before you offer any objections, just know that this is your ticket to working on the island for real coin. The East Eldel Trading Company will have it's weight behind you."

He licks his lips as if to clear the air and then continues. "My son has eloped with some...vagrant of a woman out into the Wilds. No one cares to look for him because most people here are after more valuable things than the favor of a father. And most of them are something you're not...established."

4. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

((As a side note I've decided that Andi is going to stick to his cover story for the foreseeable future, which is to say that he has the appearance of a human child named "Mel Sawyer." Likely with the group as a torch-bearer or a messenger or what not, though I hope to be slightly more useful than that :zaru ))

Andi shifted slightly as the man spoke. This was, to put it slightly, a significant departure from what he was used to. Still Mouqol teaches that without risk there can be no great reward. Potentially this could be his chance to depart from the petty cons and thefts he lived on so far.

He firmed up and put on his best confident look, smiling slightly. It wouldn't be "Mel's" place to talk at a discussion like this, the "grown ups" would do any negotiating that needs to be done. It was enough to show that he wasn't running away -- yet. Keeping quiet he listened attentively, even if the chances of him being addressed directly were slim the conversation held many possibilities.

5. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

((That's totally okay, people will make that assumption unless they have reason to believe otherwise.))

Moira clears her throat at the final words of the older gentlemen. "Lord Valenté," she lets out a small laugh and shakes her head. "I'm actually pretty established too," she says. With the look that Valenté gives to her, she drops her gaze from his. "What it is I mean to say is that I'm not here for the same reason. You promised me a method of redemption after some of your men got me blacklisted and stole every last copper I had!"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Rosie Milliard doesn't quite know how she was dragged up into this attic with promises of money to help the poor, but it was filthy and it needed a good cleaning. She stares at a small child also at the table briefly wondering what purpose he had for a moment. @EvilMoogle
    Rosie decides the flame that the man is looking at should be more pleasant, she changes the color of the flames of all the candles to green with Thaumaturgy. "Much nicer~"
    She sees that the lighting overall pretty poor in here, she proceeds to brighten them with Thaumaturgy once more creating a warmer green light in the room that wasn't as oppressing. She was curious about a few things the man said.
    "Why isn't there a lot to go around? Your son and the woman, can you tell us more about them sir? Like what happened before he went into the wilds?"

"You poor soul... would you like to come to work at the church of Rao to get back on your feet?"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

He stares at you for a long moment before answering your question, his eyes glazing over as he tries to thing of how best to describe his own boy. “He’s a boy of nineteen with blonde hair and gray eyes. He stands slightly taller than me and has a thin, wispy beard. He usually wears a cape with our house colors, purple with a gold and green bird on it. The woman is pale and freckled with dark, curly brown hair.”

He paces closer to the window and then cuts into his own thought. “Please refrain from casting spells on the candles.”

“They were headed north, into the mountain passes, which is not known to be particularly dangerous, but a father worries. His mother passed away some years back, he’s the only family and heir I have left. Even if he chooses to marry street trash into our family...”

8. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Moira smiles slightly toward Rosie. “I don’t particularly get along with Gods,” she says.

She tucks her hands behind her back, clasping them together tight as if she’s trying to avoid actually saying something back to the Lord as he called his son’s new wife trash. Her better judgement lost out. “M’Lord, you’d do well to remember where we are. A few miles from here is where the world nearly ended. And it would have ended for you no matter what fancy title you put before your name...”

Moira sticks out in a room, she’s perhaps not the most beautiful woman that you’ve ever seen, but she is striking in a way that makes you take notice.

9. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Andica continued listening quietly to the exchanges. He had vague memories of just how dangerous it could be outside the cities but the group looked competent enough that they hopefully wouldn't have immediate problems. The political situation was potentially problematic though. If the pair weren't prepared for the rough life of the real world they might track down a pair of corpses, he doubted that their would-be benefactor would be showing them with favors from that.

Or worse they could be prepared for it, and they might not be looking to have trackers reporting on their whereabouts. As a 'vagrant' himself he had an appreciation of what it's like being backed into a corner. Still those questions weren't to be aired here. If things went that bad he'd just have to disappear again, it wouldn't be the first time.

He raised his hand before speaking meekly, "so after we find them, what next? Do you have a message for us to give them?" It was a leading question but one that needed to be asked. Delivering a message was one thing, trying to bring back the son if he wasn't willing was a lot harder. Worst case the father would be asking for the son to be drug back and his love to be eliminated.

10. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"Oh, I'm sorry... I was just trying to make it less dreary in here." She cancels the spells on the candles.
    The man may be calling the woman trash, but he seemed to be worried about his son.

"I see, you're worried about your son even though you don't approve of his choice. Yet it is still his. A happy family is a prosperous one, so you can only make sure he's safe. Breaking his heart would potentially end the family line forever. Am I correct in saying this?"

11. P-X 12 State Alchemist

Seavan looked out of the yellowed window of a tavern and towards the sky. He was still amazed by the mundane sights found within the cities he traveled through during his journey. This one, however, was special. He always wished to travel to one of the towns with an airship overlooking it ever since he heard of the contraptions from others on his travels. Despite coming to this city more than once, he was always amazed by it. He looked upon the now decayed wreckage with both awe and a strange tinge of sadness. What he wouldn't give to see what they were like when they flew across the sky. "Alas," he thought to himself. "I'm stuck on the ground with nothing but my imagination."

He looked over to the others brought to this old bar, looking at the many points of interest as he listened to their benefactor. He was confused by the inclusion of a small child, not understanding what someone so young could bring to their task.

He grinned as he looked over the blonde young woman. He was amused by her cheerful attitude, and her peppiness alongside her magical skills definitely helped (both figuratively and literally) light up the drab interior of this attic.

He looked over to the raven haired woman talking alongside the still talking benefactor, Lord Valenté. "Moira." She and him had bumped into each other once before. He smiled; she was at least someone he could trust and if need be.

His gaze eventually dropped onto the bronze skinned man. He had no idea what to make of the man; the garb and tattoos that seemed to adorn his arms were unlike anything he had seen before, and the man didn't seem to say a word at all; at this point, the man was about as silent as Seavan was at the moment.

Seavan took a deep breath through his nose as Valenté explained the situation. He admitted, he did not like the quest in hand; he felt as if the young man should be able to choose his wife to be just as much as any other man. However, them eloping and abondoning the man wasn't something he approved of.

"I doubt he's sending us off to simply give the young man a message, little one. I believe it's far more likely that he wants us to retrieve the son and bring him back to his father." He shifted in his chair. "With or without his fiancee. Am I at all accurate, Lord Valenté?"

12. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

Anwar sat at the bar, or rather, near it, perched on his stool like something of a cat or bird. He tilted his head this way and that, swayed a bit in his seat, but for now just listened. He personally didn't understand the fascination with stopping a young man from doing what he wanted; if he was happy, what does it matter what comes of your riches when you die? Pass them onto someone you trust and have them live their life. But, then, voicing your opinions didn't pay the bills...

The Sumanarii sat up straighter then, looking from Moira...to the man, to Moira, and back to the man. He suddenly raised his hand. "Mmmmm, sera? What's your name? Not the family one..." He had the thick, sharp accent of a desert dweller, but there was also an almost musical lilt to the way he spoke, an underlying rhythm. His tattoos shown with a curious glint in the light of the candles, and he didn't appear to favor very heavy clothing.

13. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Lord Edwin Valenté
    Valenté turns his back toward you and looks up into the high, round window whose light is spilling into the room. "The boy would never forgive me if I allowed something to happen to this girl, but he might have already found out the kind of person that she is. One would know that when there's trouble a woman like that would sooner save her own skin than stick it out," he sighs. He looks at Rosie. "I'm sure this woman will have broken his heart by the time you find him. It can't be avoided."

"Despite what present company may claim, there's coin and fame as the main drive to any person--the only reason that the noble class," he puts his hand to his chest to acknowledge himself, "are anymore trustworthy is that we have enough money and fame to not make us have the desperation to stab everyone we come across in the back."

From what Rosie can tell, he does love his son, though he might have a strange idea of 'love'

14. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Moira Morgenstern
    Moira turns an eye toward Anwar, but keeps her voice low. "Morgenstern--I'm pretty well known, if that's what you're asking about."

"I've been out there running with different crews for a time, until I got blacklisted, that is."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  15. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"I hate to pry, but... Ms.Morgenstern. I've never heard of you. What are you known for with your 'crews' ?"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

He was sure she had already broken his son's heart was he? The thought soured his stomach a bit. This had the makings of a setup to it, not too many steps removed from the "step into this alley and I'll show you something" deals of the punks in the street.

Twisted world, twisted mind, Ravannae's thoughts intruded in Andi's silent musing. Do you think one caused the other?

The halfling gave a mental frown, his "partner" wouldn't have stayed quiet for long. He's not wrong though, he thought back. Not entirely at least. Power is the only reason anyone does anything. Money and fame are just facets of power.

No? Not love? Wonder? Adventure?

Power over others, your self, and what reason do you think people adventure. "Because it was there?" His mental scorn was contrasted by by the fae's hurt silence. But she fell quiet again. Andi kept his tongue still for now, asking more questions would attract too much attention and the only real answers would be found when, or if, the son was.

17. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

The half-elven woman in armor looked like she hadn't slept the night before. She had dull red short hair and was very tall... she looked massive with her plate. She had been silent for the most of the meeting. Her armor showed the symbol of Pelor on her chest, and perhaps her slightly ragged cloak would have also depicted it at one time a long time ago, but now it just looked grey, old and worn.

She finished the last of her drink in silence with an aura of seriousness (or perhaps headache?) regarding the others. She had glanced at the boy several times with a disapproving expression, but finally sighed with resignation.

"Ser" she nodded respectfully to the man "Beyond whatever complain your son might raise about his life choices, and perhaps a broken heart, we are not expected to meet a lot of resistance, is this correct? Or do you think he would react ...poorly? Is he talented in some way of combat or magics that could complicate things? What about her?"

"And of course... His and her name?"

18. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Moira Morgenstern
    "Huh?" Moira blinks at this new line of questioning from Rosie. "What does anyone with a crew do on Cris? Hunting treasure, looking for fame, or rescuing those who have the misfortune to get in over their heads while doing the latter two options. I've made quite the name for myself here--why else would Lord Valenté stick his neck out to get me back into his good graces?" she asks.

Reaching up, she straightens her cloak over her shoulders and wipes her hair away from her neck so that it's not touching. "Excuse my interruption, Lord Valenté," she says. "You're all tabula rasa down here--there's no one envious of you or out to get you because you beat them to some job. There's some dangerous terrain out there and I've been around a fair bit of it, so I'd be a valuable asset."

She looked to Roise. "I'm not sure where all of these questions are coming from and what they're meant to accomplish."

19. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Rosie looks down sheepishly. "I-I'm sorry... I just like meeting new people and getting to know them. I-I'm just a healer so there is much I don't know."

20. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Lord Edwin Valenté
    Valenté sighs openly, putting his hand to his face as Moira begins to speak. He lets her say her piece to the group and then glares at her. "Miss Morgernstern, you are here by MY good graces and you are indeed right. It is a risk letting you take even a bottom rung position again. If you owed me a favor, say, like finding my son I would be obliged to reinstate your contract, but pray I don't change my mind due to your behavior."

"And Miss...Rose, was it? You'd do well to know that I hand picked all of you. The one person here I am sure that I know well is Miss Morgernstern. She has a reputation on Cris. She'll do you know harm--now, if the women folk are done gabbing, I think the Paladin here has some questions..."

There's a long pause as Moira walks back to the other side of the table with her head lowered slightly. Valenté narrows his eye and looks to each of them in turn. "The boy has no magical talent--Hell, the boy has very little talent at all. Up until six months ago he would come home smelling of harlots and booze every night. No, he won't resist you," he says before clearing his throat.

"His name, my dear, is Nathan and the girl is named Sophie or Josie or some such. I really haven't had much inclination to learn her name asI expected for her to toss her out like he has done the others."

21. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

Anwar is perched gracefully on his stool, looking sidelong at Moira as she sidesteps his question slightly. Then he looked to the Lord in the room, hopping up and off of his seat, rolling his shoulders as he approached him fully to stand face to face. "Aye, if it's all the same to you, M'Lord, I think that's all the information we might need? Someone as important as you must be pretty busy, so we should probably start planning on our own for how we'll find your son..." The nomad turned to glance over his shoulder at the others, bending back a bit at a slightly humorous angle, as if to court any last minute questions the others might have had at this point. But there was a sharp glint in the eye of the desert-walker even in that moment, brimming at the surface. Something unsaid.

22. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

She looks at Anwar with a shrug "Head north, into the mountain passes, bring back the boy and his wife if she hasn't left him... seems pretty straightforward. Let's hope it stays like that" she gave a tired sigh and nodded. "We better get things ready then, Miss Morgenstern, you are the most experienced in the area. What can we expect in the way there? Are horses needed?" placed a coin beside her empty glass.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  23. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"I-I can pay for renting horses and a wagon." Rosie says meekly. It was the least she could do to help.

24. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Lord Edwin Valenté
    "Had that been an option I would have purchased them for you myself. A few miles outside of town the mountain pass becomes impossible with a wagon or any sort of conventional riding animal. You'd be abandoning your coin on the side of the pass for maybe a thirty minute advantage--which is about how much time getting the supplies ready would take you..." Lord Valenté seems to have reasoned a lot of this out.

If there's no other questions for the surly Valenté, the party can move on to moving out of the city and into the pass.

25. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"...What?" The draconic ranger shakes his head, having blanked out through most of the conversation, large form leaning against the wall. "It won't be as easy as it seems." He chuckles, "Can tell you that from a glance. Or a thought really." His voice is solid and confident, ebony scales shining ever so slightly in the candlelight. "Lead the way."

26. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Andi got to his feet and began tightening the straps of his well-worn pack. It was what it was, there was little reason to worry about it. It was an opportunity, one he would either rise to and profit from, or he wouldn't.

27. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

Sarah nods to the others and grabs her shield on the way out. She checks her old backpack to make sure she has the essentials... some rations, torches, tinderbox, rope, waterskin...

On the way to the mountain pass she keeps to herself, glancing at the other members of the party regarding them in silence.

28. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

The way to the mountain pass felt very awkward to Vor, he clears his throat as to attempt a break in silence. "So...I'm Vorkax Thirthuacmuuc," his name comes out as gently as a draconic name can, "I just go by Vor, quite the expert in archery. Care to introduce yourselves?" He tries to be diplomatic the best he can, "I mean, we are going to be together for a while." Vor smiles.

29. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

Anwar trots at a leisurely pace as they're released from the Lord's presence, walking with a bounce in his step. "I think there is a thing that the Lord does nah know, or want to believe. There is always a reason for a free soul to begin acting differently. Might be worth it to listen to what anyone around here has heard about either of them close to the ground, no? Gods no M'Lord has no done this..."

30. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

"Vor" the woman respectfully nods at him. "Sarah Aurender, Paladin of Pelor, 'may his light burn bright'" she returns her attention to the road trying to keep up with them.

"I'm sorry, Cris is still pretty new to me. Miss Morgernstern might know more about it" Sarah apologizes to Anwar.