1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Doomfall: D&D 5e Recruitment and OOC

Discussion in 'OOC Lounge' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Jan 2, 2018.

1. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

2. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

3. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Is it possible to still move while vomiting?

4. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

I accidentally posted in the wrong area. I'm sorry. I meant to post this in the RP Idea thread.

6. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Sorry, I've been really busy, I'll catch up and post soonish

7. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

I have been really busy too. No big deal.

Also for anyone who loves bad ass D&D stories:

8. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Insane barbarian that rides a very rare and magical nullicorn (like a unicorn only wihtout a horn).

9. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

I was really waiting to try and see who else would post, but Moogle's attack effectively downed over half of the combatants.

Lol, I don't think I've heard of this nullicorn thing.

10. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

So I haven't had a chance to post, had a loit of things going on. Kuno just out of the hospital for Appendicitis that burst as soon as the Dr looked at it, so I have to take care of her for the next two weeks. Just have Vor shoot the gobbos

11. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

And I've been really ill and too sick to sit up at the computer for a long stretch of time. Posting on my phone from bed is one thing for other stuff, but I just want to be able to make longer posts here .

12. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

For some reason my forums weren't giving me alerts to replies on these threads. Odd. Will get a reply up soon.

13. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

14. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

The forum had a oopsie moment a few days back, sorry for not being in here posting. I've been kind of blocked on the writer's front or sick in bed for the last several days I'll get us going later today

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

I may have sold the computer with a lot of our game information on it, so let's just rush this thing out of combat and get back into the thick of it.

Spoiler alert: new computer

16. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

17. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

That's what I do both for character sheets and campaign notes now.

Plus side you can make google sheets do a lot of the calculations for you. Change level from 2 to 3, go ahead and adjust saves, BAB, HP, etc.

Separate out specific weapons for attacks, it's easy to say "axe attack: =BAB+STR+2" or "axe disarm: =CMB+6" that also will then auto-update when you change the related scores.

Or on the DM side you can have the COUNTER_DUNGEON_EXPLODES decrease every time the date is increased.

18. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

I wish I knew this was starting or I would have signed up. I've been playing 5e for a while as a player and a DM and I've DMED characters from level 1 all the way to level 20 so I'm well aware of some of the games' breaking points.

The Magic items awarded by table on page 135 of Xanathar's Guide to Everything is a good guideline for the total number of magic items that should be awarded for the whole group.

The core design concept of 5e Dungeons and Dragons is called "bounded accuracy". Essentially you can boil Bounded accuracy to one thing, "a low level Mook should be able to hit a demigod player character, even if the damage they do is miniscule". Without the use of magic and magic items the highest AC a player character can achieve is 21, where as a CR 30 monster can get as high as 31. The monster stat blocks are then designed with the idea that a party might not have access to any magic items at all. The best advice I can give therefore is to keep the total number of magic items the party has access to low, and when you pick out items to inject into the game, try to pick items that don't break bounded accuracy. My 5e version of Glenn is completly broken now. He has +2 Plate, a +3 Shield, a +3 Defender, a Ring of Spell Storing, and Belt of Fire Giant Strength. (and 18 more magic items he isn't even using, he went threward Tales from the Yawning Portal and was the lasr man standing when he killed Acererak at the end of Tomb of horrors, has has more individual magic items than a part of adventurers should rightfully have as a result. Short version is there are very few creatures that can even hit a PC with the ability to get to 36 AC. I mean the Terrasque only has +18 to hit in 5e. Glenn went toe to toe with an Aspect of Kyuss (an actual God avatar) and managed to hold him off long enough for the party to escape.

Everyone starting at level 4 with 1 uncommon magic item should be fine, just be stingy with any major items that are rare or higher, players don't actually need them.

I've had an idea for a while for a Dragonborn Oath of Conquest Paladin that worships Tiamat. Alignment would be Lawful Evil if that's acceptable.

I also have an idea for a Kobold Samurai that would be game breaking around level 17 or so (5 attacks a turn, 9 if he action surges) would be Lawful Neutral. I usually play adveurer's league, which imposes a rule called PHB+1. This rule prevents someone from playing that race and class in combination. Kobolds have Pack Tactics which gives them advantage on attacks with any enemy as long as another ally is within 5 feet of the thing you are attacking. A Samurai is able to at very high levels give up having advantage on an attack to take 2 separate attacks, which is the absurd combo. This is game breaking because it breaks action economy at high levels, which is actually pretty OP. Kobolds are "balanced" by having a -2 strength, (the only player race in 5e to have a minus to stats). Totally understandable if that gets vetoed.

I also have an idea for a Forge Domain Cleric of Moridan that I already have a backstory worked out for.

Also are Aracocra available? They are from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. That is an officially published Source for D&D 5e but it was published as a free PDF. A lot of the spells from Xanathar's Guide to Everything are in there along with some races that were later republished in other books, but the two things not republished so far are Aracocra as a player option and the Genesi(half genies). For that matter would the Tortle Package also be available? The Tortle package was a PDF published by Wizards for Extralife last year and has the Tortle Race.

19. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

Actually, looking at Party Composition, you don't have a Wizard yet!

Info: Booyahg grew up in the streets of Kingsport. Raised among humans he often consciously acts in a childlike manner among others, subconsciously aware of how off putting most others find goblins. Since he's short for a Goblin he can often be mistaken for a child, and he does his best to put up appearances. In reality though he was taken in by a retired adventurer, a Wizard in fact, and he learned well from his teacher. At age 8 (Adulthood for a Goblin) he has set out on his own to make his place in the world.

He is often times seen intently studying a book which upon initial inspection seems to be full of childlike drawings.

Current Short Term Goals:
    Make Friends!
    Obtain expensive spell components (100 gp pearl and 50gp diamond in order to cast Identify and Chromatic Orb)
    Go on Cool Adventures!
    Learn neat Spells!

Uncommon Magic Item: Wand of the Warmage +1​

20. Banhammer Banhammer Science

I've actually been Dm'ing 5e for almost a year now.

My favorite character concept that I haven't been able to play yet is a Bard looking for a Tuning Fork that will let him secretly plane shift home

21. Banhammer Banhammer Science

22. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

23. Banhammer Banhammer Science

24. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

Curse of Strahd is a campaign that really benefits from a Dungeon Master that can take a serious and dark tone. Practice being able to describe the horrible things they'll encounter there until you describe scenes with Gravatas.

As long as you aren't DMing the adventure in Adventurer's League, I would also recommend using Milestones to for leveling.

Spoiler:
    Most parties will be under the mistaken impression that because they are main characters in an rpg, they can make a difference in Valaki. But that's not how things work in Ravenloft. Let the party get embroiled in the things happening in Valaki when they get to be about level three or four. There are almost no good outcomes there. Let the party believe they can make difference, so that you can watch the spark of hope extinguish their eyes as the largest and safest town in Ravenloft crumbles around them and descends into utter chaos. There is a good chance they'll even end up being held responsible for what happens there themselves.

25. Axelthewanted Xeno's Time Patroller

Can I join this session? I love D&D 5th Edition!