1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA All Stars

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Orochimaru-Kun, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Orochimaru-Kun

DotA Allstars: is a variant of the custom map Defense of the Ancients for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne by Blizzard Entertainment. It is a team strategy game. The objective is to destroy the opponent's base (World Tree if one is affiliated with the Sentinel side or opponent Frozen Throne if one is affiliated with the Scourge) using one's heroes along with allied heroes and allied AI controlled fighters called "creeps".

History

DotA Allstars is based on the concept Aeon of Strife which originated from StarCraft, by Blizzard Entertainment. Although not the first map to have custom skills (that honor goes to the map Valley of Dissent), it was one the earlier ones with custom skills to become widely popular (after FMVH, Tides of Blood, and others).

One of the first AoS style maps in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos was done by a map maker named Eul. However, after the release of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Eul did not port the game into the new expansion set. In time, several spin-offs of DotA started circulating on Battle.net (the official multiplayer gaming server network for Warcraft III by Blizzard Entertainment). Allstars at that time was a compilation of all the most popular and "cool" heroes. DotA Allstars is currently one of the most played custom games on B.Net.

Nevertheless, the creator of DotA Allstars ended its revisions after releasing a Human vs Orc variant of Allstars. Shortly after, Guinsoo stepped up and became the main programmer for DotA Allstars spanning multiple versions. After the 6.x series was released, Icefrog took over development.

Gameplay / Basic Premise

The basic game consists of 2 teams - the Scourge and the Sentinel. Each team has a computer controlled base on 2 opposing corners of the map. The objective of the game is to destroy the other teams' main tower, buried deep within their base, which is protected by many towers. Unlike a traditional RTS, players do not get to control buildings or create units, rather, a player selects (or depending on the game mode, randomly gets assigned) a single powerful unit, known as a 'hero'. There are over 70 heroes in the game, each with unique abilities. DOTA allows for a maximum of 10 players (5 vs. 5). A typical game lasts anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes. There are a variety of game modes which dicate whether people can choose their own hero, get one randomly assigned to them, etc.

Throughout the game, heroes can kill other heroes, creeps (small, less-powerful units belonging to each team, which come in waves of gradually increasing size, always containing 1 ranged creep and 3-6 melee creeps), and neutral creeps (not belonging to one of the 2 teams) in order to gain experience and money. As experience is gained, the hero advances in levels, thereby unlocking new abilities and becoming naturally more powerful.

DotA also incorporates a money system into the game, whereby each hero earns money by killing creeps and other heroes, and can subsequently buy items from various item shops and vendors across the map. These items can make the hero more powerful in many ways (adding damage, adding hit-points, or adding special abilities). Certain items can be combined together (in pre-defined 'recipes') to make even more powerful items.

This is my favorite game :)

Tags:
  2. RockLee

Good job. About time we had an Epic Thread on DotA.

Lucy with 3 perse and a Midas. <3

3. CrazyMoronX

It saddens me that custom map makers make better maps that never see the light of day, because everyone is too busy playing DotA.

4. Orochimaru-Kun

the official map is DOTA 6.32 thats what any compatition use

i adore this game

i dont say iam pro....but hey i KICK ASS!

5. 2Shea

That's all I have to say xDD