1. Alley-Chan contest
    Join us in the Alley's anthropomorphizing contest!
    Deadline for entries is on May 31th at 4pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

[Contest] Drawing Contest 03 First Choice Votes

Discussion in 'Art Lounge' started by Bontakun, May 20, 2020.

Tags:

Best entry?

Poll closed Sunday at 8:19 PM.
  1. Entry 1

27.8%
  2. Entry 2

5.6%
  3. Entry 3

22.2%
  4. Entry 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Entry 5

16.7%
  6. Entry 6

5.6%
  7. Entry 7

11.1%
  8. Entry 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Entry 9

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bontakun Moderator

Drawing Contest 03 First Choice Votes

This is where you pick your top choice among the contest .

Please vote for your first choice in this poll. Your vote will have a weight of 2.
    And vote for your second choice in the poll. Your vote there will have a weight of 1.

Rules
    • Entrants may not vote for themselves.
    • You may not vote for the same entry in both polls.
    • Entrants who vote in BOTH the First Choice Votes and Second Choice Votes polls will receive a bonus 2 points towards their own entry.
    • Accounts that were made within or after the calendar month of the contest start cannot vote. (Newcomers who entered are permitted to vote.)
    • Critique and comments are highly appreciated. Please post them in this thread.

Tags:
  2. Loni

Entry 1 - A beautiful traditional piece with what I think is ink. The subject matter and the series really fit the theme of "nature" really well. The first painting and last painting are great. The second on the top could be drawn a bit better. I'm not sure what's going on in the bottom left one. The artist might want to try using watercolor paper next time so the paper can absorb the water and not have that sheen in the picture. Overall this was a fantastic entry.

Entry 2 - Another traditional piece. The colors in this piece are so airy and light. You really get a feeling of spring from looking at it. It could use something to really clinch a hold of the viewer but all in all it has a nice sense of rhythm and composition. I hope people can really appreciate the calming colors and sense of nature.

Entry 3 - Our first digital piece and it is a beauty. This is a well executed illustration. The style and the way everything is painted is really great. I absolutely love those clouds and then the flowers, simply amazing. The artist did a good thing adding the girl as a figure but I feel that that's the only weak point. The figure could've been drawn a little better, maybe with some better reference images. Overall I think this was a pro level job. Excellent entry!

Entry 4 - A solid watercolor piece indeed. It has a lot of texture and some nice blues and greens which fit the theme perfectly. I would suggest doing a couple of rough sketches and then doing one color comp and then painting another final. The idea is great and that'll get you halfway there but the artist needs to execute a clean finished work and you didn't do that here. I like the idea and your potential is showing that you can do it better.

Entry 5 - Another digital piece and let me say, WOW! The colors, depth, and painting are all so great. All the details really make this piece sing. My only issue is the use of black for some of the details. It's not done throughout so it feels like the artist meant to paint over the line art but left it unfinished. This is personally my favorite piece and boy is it great.

Entry 6 - Another solid digital piece. The colors and elements fit the theme. The brush strokes are my favorite part. My one issue is the deer, it kind of looks like a donkey. The artist may want to use reference next time. Good work.

Entry 7 - This is a great idea that was either rushed or not fully realized. I love the story telling, we're in a cave that could be a stone dragon looking out at a tropical paradise. The paradise is a little to hazy and lacking of detail. This is not to say that the piece is bad, I just think the artist could do more with it.

Entry 8 - This is an amazing illustration. The colors are the best and most unique of any of the pieces in the entry gallery. Black and white on top of that color harmony is brilliant. I have no issues with this piece, it is brilliance.

Entry 9 - This entry is pretty great for the mood it evokes. The ground looks like something is going to burst out of it and everything is so spooky and quiet, except for the owls, crickets, frogs, and a howling wolf that you hear off in the distance. The artist did a great job. The perspective of the ground is a concern, unless it's meant to be an uphill. Either way, this artist created a great entry.

Bonus Entry 10 -
    @Brian made a great entry. There is a brilliant sense of gesture and volume to the big cat. The colors and the way you can see the sketch under the colors is pretty cool. My only issue is that the tree doesn't look believable. I would recommend following the reference closer to really convince us. The background leaves that fade away and the light rain drops dripping from the canopy are a nice touch. Good job Brian.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Xel

Pretty sure it's a duck butt. As in a duck grabbing something off a lake bottom with its butt up.

4. Loni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.