1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Files Series

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Mαri, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mαri &#803

My parents have the entire series of Dresden Files books and I was wondering if they were worth the read at all. :ano

Tags:
  2. Bluebeard Classy Gent

There worth the read. I'm only on the second book, but I was hooked since I read the first one.

3. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

I find the series gets a good deal better as you progress, although at a certain point (book 10) it kind of peaks and degrades a new. That said, the 1st and 2nd book are easily the worst of the entire series. I'd go so far as to say they could be skipped and for you to just start on the third book. I think the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th book, are the most engaging of the series. Just reading those would have made the series so much mroe enjoyable.

4. vervex Art prevails!

Great series! Loving it! Just finished the 7th book :)

Jim Butcher's style is not too hard to read and yet nice. For a fantasy series, it's very down to earth. Unlike many other novels involving wizards (I'm thinking about HP here), the Dresden Files are for a more mature audience, teens and adults. Some parts are really gruesome and well, there's sex involved as well. It explores some theme darker than in most kids' stories. And I'm a big fan of the sarcasm Butcher uses in his novels.

Really loving it so far :)

5. Detective ★★★★★★★

Well, it's 2010 and Book 12 is a little over 3 months away.

6. Nimander I has it

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8v486aUYu0[/YOUTUBE]

:awesome

7. Magnum Miracles Thank You, and have a nice life.

I gotta catch up fast. I'm only on Fool Moon.

8. Nimander I has it

No rush. The Dresden Files are meant to be enjoyed the same way you'd drink a Dr. Pepper: nice and slow.:pimp

9. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I've been needing to read Turn Coat for quite some time now. I look forward to being able to do so. Great reads, and some of the most ridiculously, hilariously, intensely badass imagery I can think of.

Spoiler: Spoilers
    50 foot billy goat gruff? Riding a zombie T-rex into zombie battle (where the older the corpse, the greater the power?!)? Absurd. And awesome.

10. Nimander I has it

^Classic Jim Butcher for you. If you like this, I really recommend his other series, The Codex Alera.

*gasp* And what's this?! There's a thread not too far below this one outlining the series along with a list of all it's books?! I'm telling you; it's a sign, jkingler.:hurr

11. Butcher Punishment

I plan on reading,Storm Front soon.I'm not much of a Fantasy person(More of a Mystery person),but as soon as I get my hands on The Poet and finish it,I will read Storm Front.

12. Mαri &#803

I still haven't read the first one, mostly because I'm eerie about it. When, in the first book, does it start to grasp you?

13. Magnum Miracles Thank You, and have a nice life.

For me, it was when Bob came into the picture.

14. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

I love this series. Jim Butcher is hilarious, and has a way of showing you certain scenes where you just have to stop and think about how amazingly badass that was.

Can't wait for Changes. Butcher said the first line will be (Can't remember the exact quote right now, but this is the general gist):

Spoiler:
    I picked up the phone. "Harry." Susan said "They've taken our daughter."

:drool

15. Emperor Joker The Clown Prince

16. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

Nope, I'm pretty positive it was daughter. Either way it's gonna be awesome, the Red Court is pretty high up there on my favorite list of baddies. (Right behind the Denarians and just a touch above the Fae)

17. Emperor Joker The Clown Prince

I'm hoping we'll get more than just the Reds this outing, maybe we'll get some info on the Jade Court that Shiro mentioned in Death Masks...or the repapearance of the dragon guy from Grave Peril.

There's a whole lot of people to consider here, not to mention Shagnasty coming back for more again.

18. Nae'blis mellifluous lassitude

19. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

I doubt we'll be seeing Shagnasty, Jim usually likes to wait a while before bringing back old villains. Like the Denarians took 4 books and the Fae took 6. (Though the white court and the red court didn't take as long.)

The Jade court would be interesting, I don't know...but yeah, the dragon (Ferrovax) would be interesting. I've been curious about them, all we know is that Michael killed one and that Ferrovax is possible leagues above that one.

20. Nimander I has it

What I really love about the series is how JB sets up many of these characters in the first few books, even if he only alludes to them for a short time. Then they come back later in the series and have huge plot importance, and it's not an ass pull precisely because JB has set them up previously.

And yes, Harry has those moments in the books where you just stop, sit back, be like, "WTF did I just read?!:argh" and ruminate on the awesomeness/badassery of what he just did. If I give JB nothing else, I'll give him this: he writes some awesome protagonists.

21. Tyrael I prefer the term Dream Weaver

Just started the first book. Good enough concepts, but the writing has me far from impressed so far. As I progress will probably give my thoughts.

22. Nimander I has it

The first book isn't the best example of JB at his best. Plus, it was the first novel he'd ever released, so his style is still a bit rough around the edges. But I can guarantee that as the series progresses, you'll find the fluidity and composition of the plot to be vastly improved. So it's worth hanging in there.

23. Bergelmir Ultimate Doolbreaker

Nimander is right. Books 1 and 2 are pretty shite compared to the books 3 and onward. Thats mostly because Jim Butcher wrote book 1 when he was 19 or 20. And then wrote book 2 and started book 3 while he was still trying to get book 1 published. So quality wise, everything plot and writing improve quite a bit after book 3. And they continue to improve with each book.

Apparently there are still left over plot points from Storm Front that will only show up near the ending trilogy. Its quite amazing how Jim makes almost every single line in the book relevent to the plot of the series.

I only wish he would branch out more in the folklore and mythology used. But we still got 11 more books to add that kinda stuff in.

24. Nimander I has it

With all the folklore from different countries out there, JB has a trove of stuff to work with. I for one can't wait for him to get into African folklore and mythology (you just know it's coming.:ho).

25. Bergelmir Ultimate Doolbreaker

African and Indian folklore invading the Dresden-verse would make my year awesome. I'm surprised we haven't seen any Aztec or Mexican beasties yet, since their brutality seems a perfect fit with Jim Butcher making Harry's life a living hell.

26. Emperor Joker The Clown Prince

With Harry looking to be going to South America in Changes, it would seem like a perfect time to introduce some of Aztec/Mayan/Mexican folklore creatures in my opinion.

27. Bergelmir Ultimate Doolbreaker

South America? So more spoilers have been released for Changes? Nice.

So, South America... I had assumed that Jim would have the kidnappers come to Chicago since he's gone to such efforts to keep Harry there. Man. We might get to see Red vamps feeding on children, and whole villages of vamp addicted residents.(I'm going with the Reds as the kidnappers.) This is going to be so much fun.

28. Emperor Joker The Clown Prince

There's a pyramid/temple in the background of the Changes cover, i'm assumin Dresden's going to leave Chicago for part of the book at least.

If not we can hope that the Reds will bring some South American nasties back with them.

29. Detective ★★★★★★★

When that spoiler first came out a little while after Turncoat was released, my first thought was:

Spoiler:
    Supernatural Badass Detective:

+

=

:gar

30. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's headed to South America. The book is called Changes after all, and I think Butcher takes that pretty literally. For example, did you guys see the pattern with the titles of the DF books?

Storm (5 letters)
    Front (5 letters)

Fool
    Moon

Grave
    Peril

Etc, etc.