1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Dub Complaints Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Recycling Heap' started by superemil986, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superemil986

Edit by Axass - this becomes right now: the official dub complaining thread. If you have some specific complaint feel free to create a thread about it, if you're just making a thread generally saying that the dub sucks for various reasons, please post your thoughts here. Thank you.

naruto sounds like a 30-year old,sakura sounds like a malay crazy teen and sasuke sounds like a malay soccer fan!:S

sickening.

Tags:
  2. icoselitham

3. Tayuya (the banned one)

Lol, this dub is so fucking awesome, it makes me sick.

4. B1u3

the dub was so bad, i couldnt even watch it, thats my opion anyways, i was of course dissapointed T_T.. 8/10 my ass, more like 5/10.....

5. Tayuya (the banned one)

6. THERMOnuclear

Good god, it sounds like he's got a straight six shoved down his throat. Is it going to be like this for every episode?

I mean, the lesser guys dont matter. BUT THE MAIN CHARACTOR should at least sound pleasent to the ears.

EDIT: On a side note I love everyone elses voice, but did they have to anally invade naruto this much? Shikamaru was perfect, and I *LOVE* Mizuki and Konohamaru and Ebisus voice. But I fear the worst for Sasuke, havnt heard him talk yet.

7. Naluto

Well, to me, in the sub. version, the voice was a little grainy and a little on the annoying bratty kid type of a voice. I think that the one for the dub sounds pretty good.

8. Phancy Pants

lol, love that quote, mind if I use it somewhere?

9. krzyvietboi2k5

I thought everybodys voices were extremely well done especially the thirds voice. Except for the Shikamaru's one liner and Naruto's voice im falling in love with Naruto all over again.

10. tHe_SwItChEr

yes that would be entertaining, seeing one man do thirty voices!!!

i love christopher walken but that's just dumb....

you guys really are pathetic... i haven't seen it yet but i've watched subs in the past and then seen the dubbed versions of other shows...

an your complaining about small things like which way around a name is sed!!!

there airing it in god damn america, so to people who havent seen the show it'll just sound normal!!!

the fact that theyve kept the same names, music, even tried to keep pronounciations to keep you guys happy and your fuckin whinin about it!!! grow up!!

11. DarkSwarden

the dub is like 4/10 omfg it suxed so much.....

12. Phancy Pants

I swear to god I almost pulled the trigger when Sakura started talking. And she only said 1 freakin line.

13. Pep? Le Pew

LoL...both the english and malay dub for Naruto's voice to me is quite bad XP.But the others did nicely^^(malay dubbed Kakashi sounds like the anime XD)

14. Tigerchu

Naruto Dub epi 1

I have only seen epi 1 Naruto Dub English so far, thanks to for supplying^^

They actually did a decent job. My MAIN complaint is the butchering of the names. I cringed when I heard Uchiha Sasuke's name changed around (can't type his Americanized name, hurts too much...)

Naruto's voice actor was decent cuz she (IS a she, right?) had experience. She didn't sound like some new voice actor that stinks. And Naruto actually sounded decently like his Japanese original version counterpart (as apposed to some deep voiced kid for example). Although, he could sound a little better, like, less...umm,,, "squeaky". I thought he actually sounded better earlier in the epidode and the voice got deeper and not so Naruto like at the end of the episode.

As for the "believe it" phrase he uses in English, I don't think that's the literal translation of "datte bayo". I read on a site that gave some Jp translations that "datte bayo" meant shut up. But that doesn't make sense. I'M pretty sure that "bayo" is a ..um "louder" way of saying "dayo". Put dayo at the end of a sentence to make it equivalent to screaming, ex. "baka dayo!" (excuse my Jp grammar please, that was just an example). "datte", I'm pretty sure means "that". So whatever the translation is... my best guess is that "datte bayo" just adds scream to his sentences. And given his personality, that actually makes sense.

15. Kylene

Those of you who have already decided you hate the dub

Well, I watched it just now (got my parents to tape it as I was out late last night), and I have to say I thought it was pretty good.

I don't have a problem with you guys not liking the dub, only that I don't think I've seen a single legitimate, realistic complaint about it. Some of you sound like whiny kids who are hurt now that your secret little Naruto club is known about by millions of people.

The reasons I've seen so far are these:

1. "They pronounce the words differently!"

I think in response to this, I should repost a quote of me in another thread:

You realize that the Japanese butcher the pronunciation of TONS of English words, right? Hell, in pretty much every language, words borrowed from other languages have a different pronunciation from how the word would be pronounced in its country of origin; English has tons of examples of this. It's perfectly normal, and you're pathetic if you bitch about it.

2. "They edited out the blood!"

Please be realistic. You must've known that there were going to be edits, this is Cartoon Network after all. It's not fair to judge the dub purely compared to the sub, rather you should also consider how good a job they did given the limitations of American TV standards.

3. "The voices are bad/unfitting!"

Unless you have a fluent understanding of not only the Japanese language but also Japan's culture, I don't think you're qualified to make this comparison. It's very difficult to tell how good a seiyuu is when you don't even speak their language, and are also focusing on reading subs more than listening to their voice. As for the "unfitting" point, well, you'd really have to grow up in Japan to understand completely what the voices in the original version imply. Some of you are saying that Naruto sounds too much like an annoying kid, but the Japanese Naruto may well sound like an annoying kid to Japanese people.

You have to accept that this is a westernization to some extent, not simply a direct translation. With a direct translation, many layers of meaning could be lost because the audience does not have an understanding of the intricacies of Japanese culture. Better than directly translating is finding an appropriate cultural analog - as long as it doesn't completely disrupt the "feel" of the series, of course - and use that.

I don't think many of you guys have considered how hard it is to make a dub, given the aforementioned limitations on releasing anime over here, as well as budgetary ones (consider that perhaps they couldn't afford an all-star cast of VAs, for example). All in all, I think it's unfair to say they did anything less than a good job. Most of you sure as hell couldn't do better.

16. Lammy

Everything is pretty good. The major offender is the opening and ending music rape, it totally bogs the show off abit. What really topped Naruto was the heart-wrenchingly great Wind but alas, it'll make do on DVD. It woulda wowed the kids to see that though on CN...

No no I loved Naruto's voice. I hope she replies to my email I sent ^_^

The only bad thing, episode-wise, was maybe that Iruka's VA didn't sound like he was crying when he gave his speech during the shurikan rape. He sounded like was reading lines.

17. 9TalesOfDestruction

I thought it was pretty good, i'd give it 7/10...and i think it will get better as they get used to it....

18. stormbreak

I thought dattebayo is "you know what i mean" anyway, it isn't terrible, but Naruto's voice isn't really that great. I mean he is ok, and it will get better in time, but at the moment i don't like the dub. Iruka's VA didn't do the "emotional" scene correctly :(

19. 9TalesOfDestruction

it sounds like the same actor who did the main character in the Oblongs......

But it's hard to get used to a new voice for Naruto, my only complaint would be he isn't loud and funny enough. But the secodn episode was better than the first and i think it will keep going like that. I see the potential to get used to the new voice

20. Tigerchu

Naruto English discussion

I forgot to talk about the themes..
    Yeah, I didn't prefer the beginning theme. I seriously don't prefer (I've only seen a few Jp vs English changed themes) the American company changed theme songs. They give a ton of stuff away. While the Japanese themes explain the series AND give a nice song (well, I don't like ALL the Jp themes). At LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they didn't give Naruto some stupid Ninja theme song. I was thinking about that and it wouldn't have been great...

Oh, and BandanaDan(sorry if I mispelled your username), it's "shuriken", not "shurikan". (I'm really obsessed with correct spelling and pronounciation of Japanese words).

21. TDM

I think someone deserves a rep...wait can you get rep at 4 posts. Was that 50 or...

22. Blooming Cosmo

*rep* Those are very good points. I mean the dub isn't that bad to begin with. It does have room for improvement, but by the second ep I was actually comfortable watching it. I mean, it could have been so much worse, but they kept to what was in the show and made small edits. Not such a big deal, and I think that as time goes on it will get better.

23. Hyuuga Kiri

Yeah, and hopefully they will put the nosebleed blood back in...but it was quite humorous to see ebisu go flying into the air for no apparent reason! The pronunciation of Naurto, I think, was a but aquward though... It was like Na-ru-to...the first "u" sounded a little drawn out and over pronounced...and I accualy pay lots of attention to the voices thank you very much....rep for you! ^_^

24. 9TalesOfDestruction

I thought the theme's were ok, Not as good as the "original" themes..

but, it's up there with some of the later ones too me, a couple of the naruto themes were damn annoying

25. toddwick

I was bothered at first by the english voices, but then I remembered what it was like watching dbz for the first time. I had never seen the subbed dbz at that time. I wasnt even really an anime fan to begin with. Being 7 doesnt help, lol. But, once I finally learned how to be a "real" otaku I've seen almost the whole dbz series in japanese. It makes the differences between the two very apparent. Though I see them now, when I first saw the series I was spell bound, even by the dubbs that I didnt "know" were bad. Having said that, I think that many children and posibly older kids are going to watch this and think its awesome simply because it IS awesome. The naruto series is an awesome thing and that dub is definitly far about the average in America, especially for a serialized tv show. We are definitly looking at the dawn of a new era. Before you know it we'll see things like Bleach come over after naruto begins to take over the world, but lets not let them take Bleach that quick. :D

26. TheVillian

The difference is that Viz has access to the original Japanese episodes and can hear how the words are supposed to be pronounced. Using this as an excuse is just lazy. Just because lots of other people do it on shows/daily life doesn't mean it had to happen in Naruto.

If you're fine with the pronunciations then that's ok. But people who know and have heard how the words are supposed to be pronounced have the right to complain also. Particularly some of the words like Sakura and Hokage.

Otherwise I thought the dub was great in comparison to other animes *coughOnePiececough*. While they are editting out blood at least they are showing the violence and not making the Ninja's throw suction cups or completely editing out Sexy-No-Justu.

27. Kylene

Just try saying an English sentence with a Japanese word in it, and pronouncing the word exactly as it is in Japanese...it just sounds weird. I don't know that much about Japanese, but I think it's something to do with Japanese having equal emphasis on all syllables in a word, whereas in English we put the emphasis on a certain syllable...we have different ways of speaking and its silly to just ignore that when doing a dub. If you want it to sound just like the Japanese version you should just watch the subs.

Thanks for the compliments and rep, you guys! I'm glad to see some other people like the dub too. If anyone has some NEW reasons for disliking the dub though, I'd love to hear them. I'm sure not all of you dub haters are dumb...^_^

28. Hyuuga Kiri

The voices really have less emotion...I mean, I was laughing when Mizuki told Naruto about the Kyuubi in his stomach, and the sniffing for when Iruka was crying, heck, all of when Iruka was crying was done really badly.

29. GTOnizukadude

Regarding Sasuke's voice, we heard him say "Horse!" in a bumper thing. Plus, if you google his voice actor, his website has some clips. I think its a pretty good choice, personally.

Naruto's voice actor... at first I didn't like her, but then I remembered that its the same sorta annoying voice as the original. I just with they'd pronounce Genin right...

30. Shiron

I understand your points and all, but if some of us don't like the dub, we don't like the dub. There's nothing you can do about that. And those complaints may not be leginimate to you, but they may be so to other people. Know why? Because basically those complaints are opinions. Who are you to just barge in here and say "your opinion is wrong if you don't like the dub. It was a good dub and it could have been alot worse". Yes, it was a very good dub for something that airec on Toonami at 9:00 PM EST. However, of course it could have been better. We acknowledge that it was a good dub, but there were alot of things that could have been done better than they were. If you like the dub, then fine. I won't say anything about it and your opinion is just as valid as everyone elses on the dub of Naruto. However, when you come in here and basically say we're wrong if we don't like the dub and our complaints (or what we don't like about it) are illigenimate, it's a different matter entirely. Everyone has their own opinions. No opinion is greater then another for all they are is just that; opinions. If I don't like the VAs, then I don't like the VAs. If I don't like the pronunctiation, then I don't like the pronunctiation. If I don't like the editing, then I don't like the editing. Yes, I know for a dub that aired on Toonami it was good. You don't have to tell me that. However, just as you are, we are entitled to our opinions. Our complaints are just as valid as the comments from people who do like the dub. For all they truly are are opinions. No opinion is invalid for all they are are just opinions. Yes, I understand that it was a good dub. However, if we so choose to, we can still not like aspects of it and express these opinions online. For a Toonami dub, it wasn't bad and was actually a pretty good dub. However, we are still entitled to have our opinions about it. Whether these are positive or negative, it doesn't matter. For all opinions are equal. I'm beginning to rant now, so I think I'll stop.

P.S. The reason we complain is because we've seen dubs like Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, ect. that were actually good dubs and better than the Naruto one. These dubs prove that good dubbing is possible and entitles us to our complaints. Having seen that better dubs exist, we can compare the dub of shows like Naruto, One Piece, and Shaman King to them, and seeing how bad they are compared to them. Knowing that good dubs exist and can be made, makes us angry when a bad one is made and we can complain about what we don't like about it. Yes, for a dub that aired on Toonami, it was good. However, with dubs like the above, we can definently see it could have been made better. So, no our opinions and complaints are not illigenimate. For all they are and alll they really are, are opinions and all opinions are created equal. - MnK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.