1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question about Mirio! (sorry if its been asked before)

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Fiona, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

So I decided to rewatch some of my favorite episodes from MHA and I got to the final episode of Season 3 where Mirio destroys Class-1A and he explains his quirk. He says that when he is unable to see, hear, breath or feel while phasing. He also says that when he phases he starts falling and then he solidifies to come flying up through the ground. Which totally makes sense! :edu

But in the previous episode he somehow sticks only his face through the wall and ground as he talks to Deku. Meaning he somehow phased only his face through the wall and was able to see, hear and breath while doing so with no problem at all. He was also able to hold himself in place in the ground rather than being shot upward like he describes at the end of episode 25.

Did I miss something incredibly obvious or is this just typical "Stop overthinking it" plot shenanigans? :huh

Tags:
  2. Yak banned

I think he just means he can't see, hear, smell or breathe when his head is submerged or phasing into some solid object. Once it's out he's just fine.

3. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

Well see thats what I thought too, but his ears are still underground and in the wall in the scene. Meaning they are still phased.

I'm overthinking this aren't I :catdefeat

4. Yak banned

:hmm Lip-reading?

5. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

But that still doesn't explain why he is able to speak. He says that the air passes through his lungs if they are phased and his entire esophagus, vocal chords, and lungs are phased. :psyduck

6. Yak banned

Good point, although the details of his claims are very generalized and undetailed. When he says he can't breathe, does that mean he can't because if his face is phased, air doesn't reach his mouth? I mean, you don't necessarily need to feel in order to breathe. Because breathing thankfully is controlled by the subconciousness and you don't conciously feel all your muscles involved with breathing unless you are doing serious physical labor and cardio that puts a massive strain on it.

So, if his mouth is free, air still streams in and reaches his lungs, he just doesn't really feel it. Kinda like a paralyzed person, I guess?

7. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

That panel is what made me make the thread. Because it made me think I was missing something. That or maybe he is not being entirely truthful about his weaknesses? :hmm

8. Yak banned

Thanks for posting that, I really couldn't remember the entire conversation(s) from memory. :lmao I guess in that case Hori just fucked up by not thinking this through :lmao

9. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

That or I am being a OCD freak and overthinking a very simple premise :lmao

10. Yak banned

Yeah, don't overthink it. I really don't see the point in Mirio holding back some information about how his quirk works on purpose... especially if its during casual conversation. I just think Hori didn't think it through and fucked it up. Just roll with it I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

Also he should be invisible while intangible.

12. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

Wow I didn't even think of that either, but you are right. If light can't bounce off his retinas like he says that means he shouldn't be seen at all while phased :lmao

13. Pliskin Well-Known Member

This is the more important plothole, agree. If he can stop any interaction of matter, he should be able to vanish on the spot.

14. Fiona ★*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*★

I mean I guess its not that big of a deal though because even if he was invisible he wouldn't be able to do anything with it. He falls through the floor the moment he phases and then comes shooting up the moment he stops.

15. ~VK~ The King

there's a buncha stuff that don't really make sense about this quirk due to horikoshi's shoddy attempt to nerf mirio.

16. Jujubatman12 Well-Known Member

He didn't nerf him. All quirks have limits.

17. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Depends, photons can bounce off of him but maybe not interact with the rods and cones on the inside of his eyes.

If we want to get super technical, he should create a mini vaccume as he permeates as oxygen/air will get sucked into the space where he was at. Possible the free flowing air molecules where his eyes are at bends light in a way where he is blind.

18. ~VK~ The King

yes he did. or at least he tried to. he nerfs a lot of characters yes, he just failed to do it properly with mirio.

actually you could say he didn't "limit" this quirk at all. which is were the problem really lies. intangibility is one of the most broken abilities a character can have, horikoshi tried to counteract this brokenness by having mirio's quirk phase him through ANYTHING without choice like light, soundwaves and all kinds of matter which in turn causes complications like being blind, deaf, unable to breathe etc. which is what's supposed to limit him but all it really does is raise questions and make it unnecessarily complicated.

his quirk straight up doesn't make sense with the way it was explained and portrayed.

if horikoshi doesn't want haxx af characters he shouldn't introduce haxx af abilities.

19. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

He should have just made it so he can't partially phase, so if he runs out of air or wants to punch someone he is vulnerable in that instant.

20. Jujubatman12 Well-Known Member

He does want hax characters. We have seen hax quirks before, but that's just his limit. Mirio was stated to work hard to overcome those limits. It has been potrayed the same.

21. ~VK~ The King

it's not some eye specific thing lol just like how it's not an ear specific thing why he can't hear or how it's not a lung specific thing why he can't breathe.

he can't breathe, why? because air goes right through

his eardrums don't vibrate, why? because sound goes right through.

so why can't his retina catch light? the most likely answer is not because of rods and cones.

22. Jujubatman12 Well-Known Member

Nope, Mirio quirk is suppose to be Hax, but hard to control. He figured way to fight with it, which makes it hax. You can hit him at the point of contact.

23. ~VK~ The King

i don't have a problem with limits.

i have a problem with explanations that don't make sense

24. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

Mirio's quirk as it is has no disadvantages, the message of "any quirk can be OP if you are just that good" is ruined because of that.

He can only really lose trough very specific quirk match ups or contrived strategies.

25. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Phontons are pretty in general, they have energy but no mass. It interacting differently should be expected. His body doesn't physically interact with anything that has mass? Aoyama is the real theory killer!

26. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

:dotellI once said that his quirk is op AND doesn't make sense and that compared to some people he lucked out with his quirk. Alas no one believed me then because "he trained" :maybe:hestonpls:hestonpls:dotell.

27. ~VK~ The King

i mean i've been talking about this since literally the very chapter he explained his shit dropped. dunno who you were debating.

28. ~VK~ The King

in fact i'm pretty sure almost everyone here at the time immediately started poking holes in this ability.

29. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Nah I remember you saying that. It was in the "Mirio is a better protagonist" post where I was piling up on dekus and disagrees when I mentioned his quirk :hestonpls. Those people know who they are:maybe but its ok, to an extremely small extent I forgive :blessed.

30. Pliskin Well-Known Member

They have no inert mass, true but their momentum gives them mass