1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Dying in dreams...

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by cube66, Aug 14, 2005.

1. cube66

This one dream of mine changed me on the deepest level.

It was a sunny day, with just my mom and I cruising down the road, me staring out the window in day-dream as usual. In the blue truck in front of us, there was a rough character who appeared distressed. As I stared on in wonder, he picked up a silver revolver and stuck it up to the roof of his mouth. He pulled the trigger; a huge popping sound; our windshield was broken; my forehead was bleeding profusely as I passed on into darkness.

Peace filled every inch of my body and mind.

I felt like I was going home, from this rough life, back to where I'd been before, happy and complete. All my suffering was gone, wiped away with my worries and fears.

I was never quite the same since.

Have any of you had a similar experience? What do you think it means, like this dream, to understand death psychologically?

Tags:
  2. Strider M

Well only the dead knows what death is truly like....

From what we see the brain cuts off all movement from the body so we can assume that that person is no longer feeling pain...

But of course by some twisted mark of fate... it could be the complete opposite where you can have eternal pain from where or how you died...

Nevertheless... Death isn't something you should be afraid of... OR pursue in that matter...

I never really died in my dreams..... Well..... Like....I guess like the "moment of death" is the point of me waking up... But other than that It's no problem...

3. Jester12

Death is the final hurderal and yet the first door....

death dreams come to me all the time, you learn to live if nothing else. Death is only as one sees it... that type of death might mean something else totally...

4. Chamcham Trigger

All I know is that I die in more than half of my dreams. As a matter of fact I die in my dreams 8 out of 10 times. It's really not fun and I lose a lot of sleep over it. A lot of times in my sleep I die in the begining and just see everything go by from my dead body. I dunno this thread just made me think about that at this moment.

5. cube66

I'm sorry chamchamtrigger, that's gotta be hard to deal with. Have you ever considered seeking some sort of help? Perhaps you have some sort of sleep distress issue?

6. Chamcham Trigger

I dunno. I come from a houshold that thinks any form of help is weakness (yeah they're stupid and crazy). It's really nothing to worry about. I do sleep eventually, so you guys don't have to worry about me kicking the bucket. It's something I've learned to live with also. Don't let it worry you guys.:smile-big

7. DragonHeart52

I never die in my dreams, but I have had dreams that provided insights into dilemmas that went right to core. Once the "message is delivered", I'm wide awake, just a little shaken, but with new understanding of the situation. The answers I've been given have helped in putting old griefs to rest. I too find the vehicle, passenger vs driver symbolism appearing every now and then, usually during those "whose in charge here" times.

I have had one of those life changing experiences regarding death in real-life and concur with your perception of peace. (I've addressed that particular question elsewhere on the Forum and won't repeat my answer here since it doesn't deal with specifically with dreaming.) I don't fear it anymore, but I'm also not in any hurry to experience it :p. Enjoying life right now and death, when it comes, is just part of the same cycle.

8. EternalHatred

The dream simply means that something can affect your way of living/thinking easily. You mustn't be so weak and seek your own way of life.

9. Maru-San

Dying in your dreams can indicate an end of a phase of your life, just like pregnancy in dreams can signify the beginning of a new phase. I guess both signify the same.
    I've had a few dreams in which I was dying. One, where I couldn't breathe in any oxygen, one where I was a soldier and was shot.. and a few more like those. When I woke up from those I was like 'whoa', but it's nothing to be worried about.
    When I was 15, I had a dream about me being pregnant and somehow in the dream I knew I was 17 years old. And guess what, when I turned 17 I went to a new school, new environment, new everything. So, the dream was right. Don't know how THAT is possible, but that's another topic ^_^

Anyway, chamchamtrigger, have you been having those dreams for a long time now? cause 8 out of 10 dreams in which you are dying, is a lot. I just think that there is something drastically changing in your life.

10. Eden Prime

Well, i last night i died in my dream. I was running from a gunman after he killed my mom in a Kohl's and he shot me in the back twice, i tried to run, but just kept slowing down more and more.

11. Lien

Whenever I die in my dreams. I cannot feel how it is. The only images that run through my head are that as they lower my coffin into the ground and tears are shed by my loved ones. That made me cry when I woke up =/

12. Hatsune Miku

Dying in dreams are almost nitemares. Cuz sometimes in dreams, I can imagine myself drawing a fountain with a razor on my wrist and letting my troubles flow away. That scared the crap outta my teacher and my principal once cuz they really thought that I would suicide.

13. Eden Prime

It's annoying when people try to tell you what dreams mean. No one really knows, so it's kinda pointless and irritating to just act like people know what dreams represent. There's no way to find out if you're right or wrong..

14. zeoblade

Has anyone ever died in their dreams? Is it true that if you die in your dreams it will cause you to die in reality too because you think you are dead?

15. Lien

We are not in The Matrix. - but sometimes it is possible. (That usually happens at old age though)

16. cube66

I have, check out the original post. :wink

17. NinjaJedi007

Dying in dreams... thats happened to me a few times. That point where it happens is just unbelievable. The feeling when you wake up is undescribable... there's just a huge sense of relief really. Sometimes I wonder why the hell my brain would create such a thing for me to view...

18. cinosweiv

No offense, but I have a quote from "The Hours" by Nicole Kidman, saying some stuff like this:
    "Death of the other people will make us to value our life even more"

19. Hatsune Miku

Dying is part of life. I've died my dreams several times. I really dunno why.

20. Giant Enemy Crab

I die in my dreams too much probably 9 oit of 10 dreams have ended with me dying and waking up with happiness

21. SpiritedLoser

I've never had a dream like that but i have dreamt that i died, but i always come back as a ghost ; ;
    Eternal happiness <3 but not for moi ; ;

22. Spades (inactive)

Well as for me ive died a couple times in my dreams, I think everyone does eventually. As for why you die i really cant say one time it was like jurasic park or something, i fell off a bridge escaping :/ Seriosly i think death dreams kinda relate to an obsticle in life that people are trying to overcome and its showing you 1 scenario that could happen.

23. Kucheeky Badkuya

Yes...I have had those dreams of death. I sometimes have a dream that I am faling and I dream about kicking my legs and than my real-life legs start kicking. Very weird..

24. google123

Once, I kept having sequel dreams. When my mum and dad were apart, and my mum with someone else, I had a recurring dream of being kidnapped one night, a few days after I'd dream of the same thing, but the next part, being with the kidnapper in an old factory. Another few days later, I dreamt of my mum and dad coming to get me with the police and I was rescued. Also I had a dream over and over again, of going up to the very back of my large garden, and there being a huge waterfall in a circle shape, and every time I would get sucked into the never ending pool of water in the middle. I had a dream last night too, that I was adventuring around with my mum and raven and Starfire from Teen Titans and a bunch of others, until I came to this place with sythes sticking out, parallel to the ground, and Starfire flew across one, but her arm got stabbed with the sythe and she had to pull it out with her arm. Then all the others sidestepped past the sythe until it was me, and I walked over the sythe, and I said "Done!" but my arm got stabbed and I had to pull it out. We had to get past a big dark gate, but then, this tall all in black guy that looked like Amarant came up and said "Money!" And my mum dropped her handbag and said "Money...? Oh, there" And the guy took the bag. He let us in, and there was someone in a bag hanging over a fire, with people sitting around them. We sat down, and decided to rescue the one in the bag. Raven use Metreon Synthos on the bag, and a small playmobile princess jumped out. Then there was a playmobile castle next to the 'campfire' and the princess jumped onto it, and a lil boy that looked like Ness from SSBM shouted "Mommy!" And then the princess ran around the castle with Ness chasing after her, until the princess blew up. Then some police came and explained that the princess had been sneaking into the castle spying on 'Ness,' but that she wasn't really his mom.....I've been wondering what this dream meant today...

25. Toby

How come my dreams are so weird? It seems I am not alone, here goes:

I am walking in a huge field, high grass blowing in the wind, rippling the grass so its similar to waves, I look up into the sun and it is blinding. So I have to close my eyes, but then when I open them I see the sun starting to go grey. The first time I thought wtf and I woke up, but a few days ago it carried on further. It is really scary what is about to happen, so for those who are not likely interested in say molestation dont read this

Spoiler:
    I see the sun turning grey, so I look around me to see if there is anywhere to hide, I notice that my hands graze the grass and the grass is just turning into dust, spreading like some puke and all the grass is dying. All the forest around me just starts to fall apart, sick as hell and I dont know how but there is some smell that makes me fall to my knees.

When I look up I am looking around at a desert, huge grey metallic like plants from halflife are poking people to death, they are naked and screaming that it is my fault. When I try to help them, they just die in my hands, the sky seems to be falling and there is some sort of creepy rain. As though an entire pool of something thick and dark falls down and everything drowns.

I dont know what it means, but it really scares me when I think about my pals that have died in the Iraq war and in Afghanistan. I think that maybe I am somehow responsible, because one of the dying people was identical to my friend, its not right. I cant make any sense out of it

thanks for reading though, hope I didnt ruin your sleep

As for the other dreams here, I dont know where to start. I think we all have some sort of issues we need to sort out, but these might be things that are subconcsious and hard to get at.

26. tjinnuf

dreams are just methods to "understand(can't find the proper word)" the stuff we did that day.
    I've got lots of dreams that return to me at certain dates in the year. And some standarts too,
    Like being the only one that's still allive on the planet.
    Being left behind by my mother and father (that dream stopped some time ago)
    Getting chased and not being able to run.
    Drowning in the swimming pool.
    then some non-standard dreams that i don't want to type xD

They all have meaning, like wanting to feel unique, fear of ur parents leaving you, ...
    They make book's n stuff about that shit so if u're interested, you can buy them xD

27. ShadowGal19

Almost all my dreams revolve around death, though I?m never the one that dies (though I have almost died in a couple). It?s almost always a family member who does and they?re usually shot by either a complete stranger or their best friend, and there is always a car around when it happens. During the rare times this situation does not exist I?m the one killing those I love or I just happen to be present when someone I don?t know dies. Also, I usually wake up crying after the dreams that involve a loved ones death, which leads me to believe the point of dreams is to teach us and to give an insight into ourselves, like my dreams may mean that a deep fear and pain of mine is either hurting or watching those I care for hurt by others, and that dreams involving the death of ourselves is just a realization we are not immortal and that we are going to die eventually.

28. Jenova

i died in my dreams...well, it was actually a car accident and then I woke up in bed with my eyes open. I dreampt I had hit head on into a gas tanker. The dream was so real, that I thought it might have been more of a premonition...I always thought dreams of death meant the end of something in your life and the beginning of something else...like a rebirth.

29. Lorii

i dream that someone that i love died in my dreams i woke up crying then i felt stupid for crying but i called them right away (they weren't too impressed about that) just to make sure though they are well

30. Edgecrusher

I don't know if I had dreams where I died, I hardly remember at least half of my dreams, but I do know I've had the dreams that you wake up before you get killed, and ones where my whole family was dead. I have also had dreams where truly weird stuff happened, that would be impossible in the real world, but they happened in my dreams and I couldn't wake up. So I suppose it's better I haven't had those dreams.