• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Eberron: After the War

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
"I'm fairly certain she was strangled before the body was disposed of," Althea says clinically. "She didn't drown at the very least."

If she can extract the paper she will.
The paper comes out easily enough, it's brittle and black. It was folded it to get it into the mouth and it looks like it was fashioned into a small gift bow.
Brilen looks at Askia and asks:

So, Mr. Lieutenant-Colonel, what is it that you need us for? I imagine it is not just to find out who did that to the girl. This is a small batallion you are hiring for the job.

Insight: 1d20 (2) + 3 = 5
Barbaneth tucks his hands in behind his back, locking his fingers together and letting out a deep breath very slowly as if considering something. He surveys the water, looking off into the distance of where, across the Scions Sound, in the direction of where the nation of Cyre would be. "We wanted a coalition of people who wouldn't...immediately be at each other's throats, but who represent the whole of the new Khorvaire...more or less."

He jerks his thumb back over his shoulder to point at the gnome. "Meredith is actually from Zilargo."

She is still writing her notes. "Yep. And this will all be the headline in tomorrow's Korranberg Chronicle*," she says dryly.

"You'll do this," Barbaneth says looking at Brilen, "because the whole of the continent will be indebted to you and you may even net yourselves special positions."

"Wynarn, eh? Breland and Aundair might have a bone to pick over one of their own." Van glances from Brilen back to Barbaneth. "I'd say he's on to something there. Families like that don't spend decades taking precautions just for one kid to show up strangled along the tideline by accident. Some kind of betrayal maybe?"
Today is actually the second anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold, with all of the celebration in the city it would have been hard to forget, but it could be assumed that a lot of the royals--even those who typically don't show their faces in public--might have been present.

*The Korranberg Chronicle is the most famous newspaper on the continent.
 
Last edited:

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
The Warforged rumbles, "Perhaps she fell from an airship. One such airship, the Skyhall, was ferrying celebrants between this island and the mainland. It likely passed overhead in this vicinity. If it was a betrayal like you suggest, someone aboard should know something." He looks upward into the cloudy gray sky.
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Althea shows the others the black paper holding it carefully as to not damage the already fragile paper. "I doubt they choked on this, so a message? To us presumably?" Her voice is cautious seeming well outside her comfort zone. "I'm worried this will fall apart in my hand already, I'd prefer to be indoors before we examine it."
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Brilen thinks of the offer. The favor of the government could maybe help him get back a position at Arcanix. Or maybe, depending on how well this went, maybe even a high position in the kingdoms, which would give him access to the kind of magical knowledge those kingdoms don't let most people know.

And if anything, the mission itself could be fun. Truth be told, the gnome was pretty bored lately. He was living off making little magical contraptions and selling them to the local markets, but that didn't really help him advance on his research.

"Sure, I shall take the job" - he responds.

He glances at Meredith, the other gnome. Hadn't him seen her before? He was from Zilargo too, but hasn't lived here in years, so maybe it was from somewhere else...
 
Van looks over to the Warforged, considering the information. "Airship would be a creative way to go about things. Sounds like it's worth checking out. Know anything about where she docks, the Skyhall? Name's Van, by the by. It's Red, right?" The swashbuckler points a thumb over to the Goliath fighter. "Worked the ir'Bacci job with Ena Wyrdsplitter over there out in the Icehorn Mountains a couple months back."

"But speaking of docks and ships, we've been getting some unusual faces between the neighborhood drunks and crew hands down at the port. Asking after Treaty celebrations come to think of it. Though, first," Van pauses and nods toward the woman with the note in her hand. "I'd be curious to find out what that says."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Barbaneth nods to himself, hand poised against his chin. "The docks would be a good placer to start looking for where there Skyhall goes to port. As for the body, would you mind getting it moved to the Church of the Sovereign Host, Althea? We've got a person working there who might be of some assistance with this. As for the exploring the port and figuring out where that ship is docked maybe, Van, you could head up that part of this operation."

Meredith speaks up. "The Skyhall is one of the biggest airships House Lyrandar's put out, the thing really is a triumph, it takes three elemental bindings just to keep it afloat, somewhere around here will know where it is docked."

House Lyrandar, headed by Baron Esravash d'Lyrandar is the half-elfish house that over sees, among other things they are responsible for the elemental airships (along with the Zilargo Gnomes and House Cannith). There has been a bit of an airship boom going since the war with different people commissioning House Lyrandar for more extravagant ships. Everyone from the local paper gossip columns to the barkeeps have an opinion on it and some even have favorites or stories of seeing the fantastical ships fly past.

Barbaneth looks to Brilen. "See there's a method to my madness, now you can split into two and work out how best to tackle this thing...as covertly as possible for now though."

So the group can break itself down to tackle the tasks or even look into other leads they might have around town. They can decide to go it alone or pair off if they want to explore some possibility or look for something. Throneport/Thronehold is a sizable city that has stood for ages. There's sure to be almost anything you want within the walls. It is also suggested that the group come up with a meeting place. if any of you live in the city or want to RP living in the city and meet at your place that's acceptable too.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
"I think I will join whoever is going to the airship. I like the theory and... I admit I would love to observe such an amazing magical invention up close. I've only been in smaller airships". - the gnome says, not really making an effort to hide his excitement.

"Good hunch to bring your scroll of Feather Fall today, Brilen." - he thinks.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
The Warforged looks Van in the eyes and nods. "Yes, I'm known as Red Royb. It's good to meet you, Van." He looks next to the Goliath and nods. "Ena." He will introduce himself to the Gnome and Brilen too.

As the group starts to speak, Red Royb conveys he does not know exactly where the Skyhall is to be found, but agrees the docks above is the right place to start. If the group splits up, he'd go there.
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Aletha nods. "I might need a little assistance with the actual moving part." She pauses to glance at the others before continuing, "but I can explain what I've seen and assist as I am able. I'll take a look at the paper too, assuming the message survived the water."
 
"Guess that mystery paper will have to wait," The Khorovar chuckles quietly, giving a wry shake of his head. "Far be it from me to ignore orders from a Lieutenant-Colonel at the best of times, let alone for something like this. Port and the Skyhall it is. So Red, me, and yourself," Van says, addressing the gnome who had been speaking with Barbaneth. "Sorry, didn't catch your name?"

Out of habit, Van pushes the brim of his hat up with a thumb. He casts a glance at the rest of the group.

"Any ideas on where and when we should all meet up? Can probably find an independent messenger to send something up to the Church of the Sovereign Host and Althea if need be. Scribing and courier house networks would be out of the question."
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
My name is Brilen Zilmorn. I am a wizard and a researcher of Applied Magic. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

He then looks to the others.

I believe the rest of you lot are going to help move the body?
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Barbaneth looks to Meredith for a moment and then back to Aletha. “We can at least make sure that the body is safely transported with you, isn’t that right, Meredith?”

She merely shrugs, though she doesn’t disagree to this.

“The Church we’re heading too,” Barbneth explains, “is on the northern side of the city. It’s a bit of a walk, I hope that’s okay.”

After that, Aletha and the pair of them will make their way toward the Church of the Sovereign Host. The others will make their way down to the docks on the East side of the city and if none of them are aware of where it is, Van leads the way.

Thronehold consists of Thronehold Castle and Throneport. Throneport (the actual city itself) is divided into five districts, one for each of the surviving nations of Galifar, and the fifth being the port. Each of the nation’s maintain a small contingent of guards and servants, leaving the bulk of the protection and law enforcement within the city walls up to House Deneith.

While Thronehold is technically neutral according to the Treaty, each nation controls the borders into their district and ID is required by everyone in the city. The Port District is where people from the four nations tend to mingle. Thieves, spies, and those seeking asylum spend their time there too. The route to the port is rather direct, there’s a road that leads right into that district from outside of the wall, but Aletha, Barbaneth, and Meredith will have to either pass through the Port District, which is much more dangerous or go through two checkpoints, the one for the Aundarian Zone and the one leading into the Brelish Zone--I'll leave the choice on which to take up to Moogle.



Further east, up the shore, is the narrow road that leads through a small shop district with some apartments and other small buildings. Everbright lanterns line the road, lit even in the day. Around this side of the island the whips harder sending droplets of rain in all directions. There is a noticeable guard prescene, but nothing out of the ordinary mostly the area is a cross-section of different races of people moving back and forth. Mostly humans and Khoravar, but there are a few orcs and even the odd Goblin.

Just before the group passes under a walkway leading across from one building to the next a human man yells out while stumbling toward the group, his clothes are drenched through and he’s wobbling with each step with a bottle clutched in one hand. He aims his freehand at Red. “What’s one of those doing up here?” The man looks back toward the random people milling about.

“Those things shouldn’t even be allowed into cities!”

He flings the bottle and it narrowly misses Brilen.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Brilen sees the bottle passing by his side. He realizes he could have gotten very hurt from that.

"Hey man, be careful where you throw that bottle, it might cause an accident. Like this!"

He puts his left hand inside his cloack, and presses some buttons in the device that is covering his body. The decive makes some strange, loud sounds, as it stabilizes the spell Brilen wants to cast, but doesn't actually know how.

Arcana: 15 (DC 10)

Waving his right hand, the gnome casts Gust, pushing the drunk man away from him, hopefully making him trip.

"Well I'm pretty sure my metallic friend here doesn't have time for you, but I'm available if you want to brawl!"

He then casts Fire Bolt onto a rock near the man's feet, scorching it. He doesn't intend to hit the drunk man himself, just scare him away. This one spell does not actually require the macine to cast, as it is second nature to the gnome.

Edit: Intimidation: 17
 
Last edited:

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Silently glowering at the drunkard, the tall Warforged draws his glowing mace and stands right behind the Gnome Brilen. (Help action to the Gnome's Intimidation)
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
While Thronehold is technically neutral according to the Treaty, each nation controls the borders into their district and ID is required by everyone in the city. The Port District is where people from the four nations tend to mingle. Thieves, spies, and those seeking asylum spend their time there too. The route to the port is rather direct, there’s a road that leads right into that district from outside of the wall, but Aletha, Barbaneth, and Meredith will have to either pass through the Port District, which is much more dangerous or go through two checkpoints, the one for the Aundarian Zone and the one leading into the Brelish Zone--I'll leave the choice on which to take up to Moogle.
Aletha considers this. While her own paperwork with the city is of course up to date she suspects bringing a corpse through one of the more regulated checkpoints will likely cause some degree of grief. She'll suggest going through the Port District to the others. They're not going to be subtle either way and this will hopefully lead to less bureaucratic hold-ups.
 
Van makes a quick check of the street, watching if any guards are close enough to take notice or if the drunk has friends among passersby. He also takes note of the general surroundings and obstacles.

Perception: 1d20 (10) + 5 = 15
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Brilen sees the bottle passing by his side. He realizes he could have gotten very hurt from that.

"Hey man, be careful where you throw that bottle, it might cause an accident. Like this!"

He puts his left hand inside his cloack, and presses some buttons in the device that is covering his body. The decive makes some strange, loud sounds, as it stabilizes the spell Brilen wants to cast, but doesn't actually know how.

Arcana: 15 (DC 10)

Waving his right hand, the gnome casts Gust, pushing the drunk man away from him, hopefully making him trip.

"Well I'm pretty sure my metallic friend here doesn't have time for you, but I'm available if you want to brawl!"

He then casts Fire Bolt onto a rock near the man's feet, scorching it. He doesn't intend to hit the drunk man himself, just scare him away. This one spell does not actually require the macine to cast, as it is second nature to the gnome.

Edit: Intimidation: 17
Silently glowering at the drunkard, the tall Warforged draws his glowing mace and stands right behind the Gnome Brilen. (Help action to the Gnome's Intimidation)
The drunk man stumbles back, spooked by the sudden arcane crackle at his feet. He bumps a cart selling some little trinkets and wares, disturbing the person working behind it and managing to fall into the street nearby. At the sight of the war forged drawing his weapon the man scrambles to his feet clumsily and makes to leave. "Weapons," he grumbles. "Thats all they are."

Van makes a quick check of the street, watching if any guards are close enough to take notice or if the drunk has friends among passersby. He also takes note of the general surroundings and obstacles.

Perception: 1d20 (10) + 5 = 15
By this time you're approaching the first gate, the one that leads back into the walls of the Port district proper. There are little stalls alongside the road selling various items. As you continue along one woman runs out from behind a wooden cart draped in silken scarves in an attempt to sell one to anyone passing who will listen.

Without much incident the group reaches the gate. Fully armored pikemen stand alongside the gated entryway, though the way in is open. At times the Port District will have almost no security as it really isn't the part of the city that people are being kept out of, today seems to be one of those days.

The Port district is filled to the brim with people from all walks of life. The rain on the seafront has given way to golden sunlight breaking through the crowds just enough to light the tops of buildings and merchant stalls as the water continues to drip from above and run into the gutters.

The treaty's second anniversary has brought everyone in the city out it seems.



There are a number of taverns and Inn's visible from here including: "Hops and Hounds"; "The Salt Marsh"; "The Green Hag Gaze"; "The Monster's Eye"; and "Fiend's Folly" (the last of which is seemingly built to look like a sailing ship with the name on the side).
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Aletha considers this. While her own paperwork with the city is of course up to date she suspects bringing a corpse through one of the more regulated checkpoints will likely cause some degree of grief. She'll suggest going through the Port District to the others. They're not going to be subtle either way and this will hopefully lead to less bureaucratic hold-ups.
Meredith is clearly a little upset at the crowds in the Port District, she keeps herself occupied muttering something under her breath as the group passes the drunkard and makes their way through the easter city district. More importantly she sticks close to the corpse, eventually helping Barbaneth and Aletha by casting Floating Disk. She stacks her bags and affects alongside the corpse to better keep it concealed.

Barbaneth pipes up as they reach the main thoroughfare of the Port. "Many of the traveling ships must have come in for the festivities, if someone were to know the location of this airship dock, it would be here."
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Glaring at the drunkard retreat, Red Royb quickly dismisses the bigoted fool from his mind. He scans the crowd for another Warforged, or perhaps someone who might appear to be of House Cannith. After a few moments, he approaches someone who fits the bill, or otherwise appears friendly (or at least non-hostile), to ask for directions. He will see if anyone around here can help him find the Skyhall. "Might you know where the Skyhall berths? Often a cruise ship, a party airboat."
 
Van shakes his head at the drunken fool. Waste of breath. Red and Brilen had been generous with their restraint.

Reaching the gates of the Port District, the Khorovar takes in the view, mouth pinching to the side in thought. Crowds and more crowds. Perfect cover for all sorts, himself included.

With Red taking off to inquire, Van heads off toward the inns, shouting behind him, "If you need me right away, find me in one of the taverns! I'll be catching up with my favorite gossipmongers."

Van weaves and squeezes through the throng of people toward the Hops and Hounds, flowing into the eddies and torrents of shifting bodies. Classy as any establishment down among the docks.

On finally reaching the counter of the tavern bar, Van leans in with lazy smile, motioning for a drink to the barkeep. "Any news on House Lyrandar? Sounds like their airship, the Skyhall, would be the place to take in treaty celebrations this year. Heard she was moored in the neighborhood..."
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Brilen decides to stick close to Red. He doesn't really have a way with people, and he suspects Van will find what they need to know soon enough.

Meanwhile, he casts Detect Magic as a ritual. Lately he has gotten the habit of casting this whenever he visIts some place new. People would be surprised how much you can learn about places by doing that. It's not like you can find a giant talking tree or something crazy like that, but you could spot little things a town is hiding
 

Hatsu

New Member
Casta was deep in thought as he was sketching a small airship in the distance. He had been trying for hours, but each attempt seemed to be a twisted visage of whatever he saw. The inspiration for his art was there but it seemed his hand had other ideas on his technique. He was just about to try again for the fifth attempt when he was surprised by Red, the warforged.

The pull out of his artistic zone and back to reality, left his mind addled a bit. Casta stared vacantly at Red for a moment before the question finally reached from his ears to his brain. "Oh the uh Skyhall? I am not familar with a ship such as that." He gets up from the patch of ground he was sitting on to stand in front of Red. He rubs his chin with his hand. "But if you are looking for a ship like that, maybe you should check out Green Hag Tavern. Its where a few crews come when docked. I can show you the way if you like. I was going there anyway for a drink."
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Van shakes his head at the drunken fool. Waste of breath. Red and Brilen had been generous with their restraint.

Reaching the gates of the Port District, the Khorovar takes in the view, mouth pinching to the side in thought. Crowds and more crowds. Perfect cover for all sorts, himself included.

With Red taking off to inquire, Van heads off toward the inns, shouting behind him, "If you need me right away, find me in one of the taverns! I'll be catching up with my favorite gossipmongers."

Van weaves and squeezes through the throng of people toward the Hops and Hounds, flowing into the eddies and torrents of shifting bodies. Classy as any establishment down among the docks.

There are a group of people gathered around the bar of the Hops and Hounds who look of a particular sort: They are dressed in what seems to be little more than repurposed rags. Most of the patrons seem to be focused on this group and aren't really looking when Van enters. Van can see a pair of guards with shoulder patches bearing the House Deneith insignia. The patch has more than that though, there is a crown embroidered behind the Deneith dragon mark, a sign of the Throne Wardens.

A waiter, a half orc man, gives Van the kind of acknowledgment that people in these parts understand, he simply tilts his head back with a short jerk. "What'll it be friend, pay no mind to the trouble over there. You'd want none of it, I'm sure," the waiter says.

Spoiler: Information about Throne Wardens
Throne Wardens basically saw to the upkeep of the castle and the island itself. They still do oversee to it to a degree in the hopes that one day an heir of Galifar will sit on the throne and reunite the land. They do have the authority to come to the port, but rare are seen to do such.


Brilen decides to stick close to Red. He doesn't really have a way with people, and he suspects Van will find what they need to know soon enough.

Meanwhile, he casts Detect Magic as a ritual. Lately he has gotten the habit of casting this whenever he visIts some place new. People would be surprised how much you can learn about places by doing that. It's not like you can find a giant talking tree or something crazy like that, but you could spot little things a town is hiding
Brilen has probably tried this spell in the city before, but he gets the usual result. There is a subtle glow cast from the entirety of the ground. The entire city of Thronehold is on a Manifest Zone that touches the fey realm of Thelanis, Brilen overlooks this and the other norms of the city, the everbright lanterns that line the street and the various glamour weave and small magical affects that people wear show up. There's nothing out of the ordinary or particularly high-level--if there were too much. There are various aura's on Meredith, a wand she has stacked next to the body, and a broom stand out.

Barbaneth's clothing seems to be subtly magic too.

As Meredith, Barbaneth, and Althea move away from the port group toward the gate up, Meredith turns back to speak to Brilen. "You might want to watch where you aim that thing. People are going to think you're looking for marks,"she says in gnomish. And suddenly her entire pronunciation and demeanor when speaking is different. It's hard to sound nonplussed when speaking gnome.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Casta was deep in thought as he was sketching a small airship in the distance. He had been trying for hours, but each attempt seemed to be a twisted visage of whatever he saw. The inspiration for his art was there but it seemed his hand had other ideas on his technique. He was just about to try again for the fifth attempt when he was surprised by Red, the warforged.

The pull out of his artistic zone and back to reality, left his mind addled a bit. Casta stared vacantly at Red for a moment before the question finally reached from his ears to his brain. "Oh the uh Skyhall? I am not familar with a ship such as that." He gets up from the patch of ground he was sitting on to stand in front of Red. He rubs his chin with his hand. "But if you are looking for a ship like that, maybe you should check out Green Hag Tavern. Its where a few crews come when docked. I can show you the way if you like. I was going there anyway for a drink."
"Thank you, I would appreciate it. I will buy you a drink for your trouble," Red Royb replies to Casta. He signals to the others that he might have a lead. As they start walking through the bustling streets toward the Green Hag Tavern, Red Royb will inquire into the sketches. "Your drawings. Purely for fun? Or are you an engineering student?" he asks Casta.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
As Meredith, Barbaneth, and Althea move away from the port group toward the gate up, Meredith turns back to speak to Brilen. .inlineSpoiler {color: #000000 !important; background-color: #000000; cursor: pointer;} .inlineSpoiler:hover {color:#ffffff !important;} .inlineSpoiler span {color: #000000 !important;} .inlineSpoiler span:hover {color: #ffffff !important;} "You might want to watch where you aim that thing. People are going to think you're looking for marks,"she says in gnomish. And suddenly her entire pronunciation and demeanor when speaking is different. It's hard to sound nonplussed when speaking gnome.

He replies in Gnomish.

Heh. Thanks for the advice. Not looking for anything specific, just like to be aware of what is going on around me.

Brilen follows her advice, though, and turns the spell off. He is also wondering how she noticed it. Magic item, perhaps?
 
There are a group of people gathered around the bar of the Hops and Hounds who look of a particular sort: They are dressed in what seems to be little more than repurposed rags. Most of the patrons seem to be focused on this group and aren't really looking when Van enters. Van can see a pair of guards with shoulder patches bearing the House Deneith insignia. The patch has more than that though, there is a crown embroidered behind the Deneith dragon mark, a sign of the Throne Wardens.

A waiter, a half orc man, gives Van the kind of acknowledgment that people in these parts understand, he simply tilts his head back with a short jerk. "What'll it be friend, pay no mind to the trouble over there. You'd want none of it, I'm sure," the waiter says.

"Whiskey, if you please," Van says, nodding in thanks. He casts a glance over to the guards and the scruffy looking group before looking back to the half orc waiter. "Refugees? Unusual for something like that to draw out the Wardens."

Van will try to casually observe and listen in along with the rest of the patrons in the room, making note of anything that might give him more information about the situation.

Perception: 1d20 (17) + 5 = 22
 

Hatsu

New Member
"Thank you, I would appreciate it. I will buy you a drink for your trouble," Red Royb replies to Casta. He signals to the others that he might have a lead. As they start walking through the bustling streets toward the Green Hag Tavern, Red Royb will inquire into the sketches. "Your drawings. Purely for fun? Or are you an engineering student?" he asks Casta.

Casta would start walking as he tucks away his sketches. "No, nothing of the sort. I am an artist, well...was." He chuckles nervously under his breath. "I have hit a low on inspiration unfortunately so I have had to turn to odd jobs to maintain my profession. Lately, my style doesn't come out the way I want it. But enough about me, why are you searching for Sky hall? Are you heading somewhere?"
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"We're investigating a deceased person. It appears someone may have fallen from the Skyhall. Or been pushed," Red Royb answers Casta.
 

Dragon D. Luffy

The Bard
Retired Staff
Brilen adds.

"Well it's one theory we have, but I admit it's hard to guess. Ideally we learn something new, even if it turns out the airship had nothing to do with it."
 

Hatsu

New Member
Casta raises an eyebrow at the mention of murder. "That is very unfortunate. I hope we can find you the lead, you are looking for. Either the outcome, I hope the family of the deceased finds closure."

He keeps walking along and heads for The Green Hag's tavern. He looks to the sky to determine the time. "Let's hope we don't find alot of drunken sailors inside already."
 
Top Bottom