1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Elements of the 2003 FMA Series that You Liked

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by DemonDragonJ, Mar 18, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

The 2003 animated adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist followed he plot for the manga for its first half, but then deviated and told its own story. I certainly prefer the story from the manga, but the 2003 anime series did have some ideas that I thought were fairly interesting, so I wish to discuss that subject with the other users, here.

First, I liked how Ed encountered Barry the Chopper as a human, before his souls was encased in a suit of armor, as that gave Barry more screentime and character depth. Second, I liked the how homunculi originated in this story, as that gave greater depth to characters who had little in the original manga, most notably Lust, and also provided two very emotional storylines with Izumi's son and Trisha Elric. Third, I liked how both Shou Tucker and Basque Grand has larger roles in the 2003 series than in original manga, since both of their roles were fairly minor in the original series.

On the other hand, I severely disliked the idea of characters traveling from their world to ours, as that seemed to be a weird plot twist that occurred for no reason, and I am glad that it never happened in the manga.

What does everyone else say about this? What are some ideas from the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series that you liked?

Tags:
  2. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Loved the music. I loved Scar's final moments in episode 42.

3. egressmadara Wanderin' About

I'm watching the 2003 anime right now actually, and reading the FMA manga. I'm half-way through for both. I watched FMAB years ago.

I do like the light-heartedness and humor in the original anime, and the animation is decent. Another positive is the expansion of character backgrounds, like the brigadier general. I still feel the atmosphere isn't nailed right for certain scenes, and Brotherhood had a far greater emotional impact.

The original isn't bad, it's worthy of respect and a must-see for any FMA fan.

4. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

Also, the scene in which Al punches Ed after Scar destroys Al's armor and Ed's arm was made comical in the 2008 series, which severely contrasted with how serious that scene was supposed to be, so I do not understand why the animation team would do such a thing.

5. Mider T VM Rapist

The Greed vs. Ed fight, Envy's backstory, Kimblee being an absolute psycho (hated how restrained he was in FMA:B), and the first series seemed to tug the heartstrings better. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking.

6. [S-A-F] Femto my boy!

Pretty much everything I enjoyed about the 2003 FMA series. The Ed/Greed fight looked amazing in it, it was probably the first anime fight I saw back then that really blew my mind visually.

7. [S-A-F] Femto my boy!

that song always reminds me of that scene. That shit really made me a Scar fan if I wasn't already.

8. wooly Eullerex BTW, Izanagi is a ninjutsu; chidori is a nin-taijutsu

Flag:
    Belgium
  9. Kyu ~ █▬█ █ ▀█▀ ~

The sick ost, Ed v. Greed, the gravity of Scar destroying Ed's arm(their rematch 30-something eps later was brief but dope), and the extension to Lust's character.

I even liked Ed v. Envy for what it was.

and the final opening was just.....lawd

The first 10 seconds gave me the 'it's time to end the series' vibe, which I loved & hated at the same time.

10. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

The opening to Conquerer of Shambala was legit too.
    I'll try to find a clip of it somewhere.

I remember when I first finished Brotherhood/manga, the original was still fresh in my mind. And I was pretty disappointed by Brotherhood's overall different tone and just how shonen its finale was. I definitely preferred the more somber (and overly edgy) approach of the original. And I didn't really mind just how batshit insane it got with the parallel dimension shit to Pre WW2 Germany. I still don't really mind that shit. And to this day, I can't believe Arakawa just didn't ape the Homunculus origins from the original anime. The Father shit was just bleh.

But yeah, I rewatched Brotherhood again, and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than my first go through. I didn't mind the shonen aspects cause afterall, it was a shonen :lmao The ending where he gives up his Alchemy and Hoenwhatever just turning to ash was kinda lame, but it was forgivable. And that scene where Ed takes the gun from Winry was pretty fucking powerful and became my favorite moment of the series.

I didn't really mind its more joking nature or it lacking the overly edgy material this time either. So my opinion on Brotherhood has mellowed out and I now finally recognize it as a landmark title that it always was. Its fine as it is.

Oooh, and another thing I loved about the original was seeing Al in his old body, wearing the red coat, and doing Alchemy shit again in the movie. Even though Wrath stole the show, that was some glorious fanservice.

11. Xel

Its overall tone tbh. It's weird and dark. I love both versions of Kimblee. I also like the occult Nazi feel of the end/Conqueror of Shamballa (as I'm a big fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and its 2009 sequel/successor).

12. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Love those illustrations in there.

13. Imagine

I don't remember much of the 2003 version anymore, but I especially liked Lust's backstory.

14. Skilatry Well-Known Member

The fact that Sheska had a significantly bigger role.

15. Yoo Tan Infinite

Envy being the son of Hoheinheim and his hatred towards the latter. Hoheinheim is character is more interesting in this version despite he is not as relevant as he is on Brotherhood. I also loved Dante's role as the central antagonist.