1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

enders game

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by mary no jutsu, Jul 20, 2005.

1. mary no jutsu hungry

i love this book so much. it just draws you in so fast. when the characters interact i could really connect a peace of myself to at least one of those characters. enders struggle in battle school and command school was so trying. orson scott card really knows how the mind works he does such a great job on his book.

i've also read enders shadow. that book made me cry. bean's life so so unfair.

theres so many other books i need to read what would you reccomend i read

Tags:
  2. DragonHeart52 Cooler by the Lake

Funny you should mention this book. I am just starting the series on a recommend from a forum friend of mine.

You may like His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman consisting of:
    The Golden Compass
    The Subtle Knife
    The Amber Spyglass

All three are wonderful stories in and by themselves.

3. Gooba Join us

I'll toss in my recommendation too, even though it apparently isn't needed.

Ender's Game is my favorite book, period.

4. DragonHeart52 Cooler by the Lake

:glomp Aww, now that just makes it twice as likely I'll love the book, you big Atkatsuki.

:whoo Just finished the book and it has just become my fav of all time!! Simply amazing story.

@mnj: A few of the books off my recommended reading list from jkingler (besides Ender's Game)
    Sci-Fi
    Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
    Midshipman's Hope - David Feintuch

Fantasy
    Across the Nightengale Floor - Lian Hearn
    A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
    The Silmarillion - J. R. R. Tolkien

I can't take credit for this. If you read them and love them, let him know that you appreciated the recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005
  5. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

Ahem Ender game was wicked.. I've read it 4 times from begining to end. I'm not sure though if I liked ender game or ender shadow more. Bean is my favorite chracter so I'm torn.

But yeah ender game literally gets you interested after the 1st page and if not after ender beats down that kid... Bohhha ha die punk die.

I recommend reading 1984 and The naked God series

6. Yeemaster Master of Yee

It's not just a book, there's a series. Both of them are actually.

It goes:

Ender Wiggin Saga:
    Ender's Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

Bean Saga
    Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant

The Ender Wiggin Saga is phenomenal and I like the following books better than Ender's Game because the characters are much more defined and the plot is so involved.

I've read Ender's Shadow (fantastic as well) but I've yet to get my hands on the other three books.

7. mary no jutsu hungry

yeah ive been trying to collect the series but then i heard people say that it isn't as good. should i get it? will ti ruin the magic?

8. ender (inactive) Japua

its ok.

the shadow series is totally different from the speaker series. it is about bean and the other battle schoolers dealing with the corrupt policies of the earth after the threat of mass destruction is gone.

9. SharinganFireWheel In the shadows

Ender's Game is a book on its own.

The plot of the Speaker series is a lot slower than Ender's Game, but more detailed and focuses on character development. Basically, Ender's getting old and he still has to deal with big, big problems.

I found the Shadow saga to be more like Ender's Game... definately more intense and fast-paced than Speaker. You get to see more of the other characters, which is quite interesting.

Everything's good in its own way of course ^^

10. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

Personally, I didn't like the last two books of the series (Xenocide and Children of the Mind). The plot in them just seemed too contrived, almost as though Card was running out of ideas to end the series. I loved the first two however, and Enders Shadow was almost as good as Ender?s Game.

Btw, if you're in to science fiction you need to read Dune. It definantly earned its spot as a classic.

11. exmorte Worlds Most Fabulous Genius

I loved speaker for the dead and xenocide, and children of the mind was really good. All the books in that series are Excellent!

12. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

If there is a literate person left on these forums who has not yet read Ender's Game, I would strongly recommend they do so. It is a life-with-print changing experience of the highest order :love

13. Gooba Join us

A literate person, on a forum??? I know I for one, can't read or write.

I have to second this statement, even if you aren't literate, get it as a book on tape. It is amazing.

14. Kasumi 霞 Drawing Chalk Outlines

I read this book in school. It's really good even if it was assigned to begin with.
    I'm thinking of starting the series.

15. monk3 Ryokan Pride

i loved the ending of ender's game. i also loved the Giant's Drink game. it was just sooo fuxxing cool

16. Psyonic Kosovar Albanian

Ender's Game.

Best Book. Ever.

It grips you so fast and makes you want to read the whole book in one sitting.

Although the other books in the Wiggin saga are slow paced and focused on character development, so I suggest you read the Bean saga.

17. Sakura Kaijuu There is only the inevitable

I loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. I tried to keep reading the books in both series, but I just couldn't get into them. I'm not really sure why. But I thought Ender's Game was amazing.

18. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

The sequels I've read (Speaker for the Dead, etc.) weren't really able to hold a candle to Ender's Game, though Speaker for the Dead was a decent book in its own right.

If you have to read the sequels, feel free, but Ender's Game is a fine place to start AND end, IMO. :p

19. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

*Breaks the trend*

Truthfully, I liked the book - as has been pointed out, it's difficult not to. But afterwards, I came away with this bad taste in my mouth, like when you eat too many walnuts. Ender was a totally unrealistic, ridiculous character in his ability to outthink anything - like fake boobs or an enlarged penis, a seems like a good idea on paper, but generally comes out less then satisfying.

I was contemplating plot devices and character development while reading the book - it was impossible to really get into.

20. Fireglo Konoha Ninja Bassist

Agreed - Card was a little too out there with Ender, but then again it was his vision and not ours :amuse

I read the entire series and really, none of the subsequent books pack as much of a punch as Ender's Game. They all lack the humanity that EG had, but were decent in their own respect.

21. Sunuvmann <font color="##5262fc">of the Rebellion</font>

As was said theres the 2 sagas.

Ender Wiggin Saga:
    Ender's Game
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

Bean Saga
    Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant

But each have their own style. The first (oldest) is a lot more classic sci-fi with other aliens intersteller travel, AI etc. but is still quite good as it ends (and you gotta love the Jane character).

The newest Bean Saga is a lot more relatable to because it is comparably a lot more geared to modern warfare and if you like all those Risk type game you'll enjoy reading of Peter's 'peaceful' way of taking over the world (favorite character). (Though they did make him seem such a woos when good...he is MUCH cooler in the Ender Saga.)

But all are very good books. Read up!

22. onewithchaos Member

Ah man i got to agree, this is one of THE best books ive read. For me it is my second favorite book. 1st being 1984. but yea this story is so awesome, and ive really wanna get into ender's shadow, but damn school, not enough time to read =P

23. Ruri always the hours

I just finished Ender's Game last week (thanks to jkingler for the rec! ^_^). I haven't read much of anything in sci-fi, but this book has really revived my interest in the genre. It's not a perfect book, but it drew me in instantly, and watching Ender be manipulated into a perfect commander was fascinating.

I had no idea there was a Ender Wiggin series before checking out this thread though, so I'm definitely going to check those out as well. ^^

24. Jotun Dyroness

He is a super prodigy genius.

Anyways, was curious if anyone had made an Ender thread.

I read this book in 4th Grade, really got me into reading. Have read it almost once ever year since then.

The Speaker series, Speaker for the Dead - Xenocide - Children of the Mind, was interesting nonetheless. The whole idea with Jane and "God" was really something worth reading imo, not quite as attractive as Ender's Game, but still good.

Although I loved Ender's story, Bean's story is so tragic. I actually completely bought his series of books, from Shadow to Giant. These books were alot more political and far more devious than the first few books. Also the romance was realistic and I enjoyed the interactions between Bean and... ya.

By far my favorite series, especially when your a kid. My favorite book is a book to which I forgot the title of...but one of the Ender books could easily be my favorite.

25. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

I really like Xenocide and Children of the Mind. Xenocide was pretty sad with the character of Gloriously Bright

26. RebelliousKrimpy ~ P.a.s.s.i.v.e.l.y E.v.i.l ~

Ender's Game (and all Ender related books) are simply amazing... it rates in my top reading list. A must read for sci-fi fans, the ideas alone are awesome!