1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

English Naruto Manga - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Uchiha_Zero, Oct 22, 2005.

Opinion

1. Cool, I'm getting these!

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I read the original manga anyways?.

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Oh gawd no?.

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Other/Neutral

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

So, the manga is coming out for the dubbed version, what are your thoughts on it?:huh

Tags:
  2. TsukasaElkKite Yuri Fangirl ♥

B. the translations suck

C. EDITING, EDITING, EDITING!

I rest my case

3. TenshiOni Active Member

Fact: Starting with chapter 72, the manga is 99% faithful to the original, jutsu names and all.

4. TsukasaElkKite Yuri Fangirl ♥

5. Maleficent ∞tp

The english Naruto manga is okay... though some translation errors in the early parts of it are annoying. :xp

6. TsukasaElkKite Yuri Fangirl ♥

:nod: "Art of the Doppleganger!"? *goes and pukes* Give me Kage Bunshin no Jutsu any day.

7. NarutoUzumaki Supporter of NarutoxHinata

English manga is ok but japanese just has more action right now

8. Procyon Loveless

It's not bad. I usually buy the graphic novels just for the sake of owning Naruto.

9. RyuusaBakuryu_Gaara Ryuusa Bakuryu!

I don't need the english ones anyway...I already have all of them on my computer..why buy something I already have

10. Illidin Sand Tiger

They need to re-print all the old volume's WITHOUT the damn edits and better translations...then i'll think about giving them my hard earned money,otherwise i'll stick with my original JP one's,can't much understand them but all that matters is I have 'em :smile-big.

11. ez Jesus Christ

That's cool. I'll be checking out the first few issues to see if their any good.

12. Gold Knight To The Rescue!

Yeah, the English Naruto manga has been getting quite good lately. Actually I didn't think Chapters 1-38 were all that bad, but 39-70 did have at least one very iffy line or change per chapter.

13. Jagermonster Never apologize, Never explain

I have them all up to number 7 and I like it. The occaisional translation fuck up doesn't really bother me. I don't really notice the editing either.

14. Goongasnootch 亀好き

I keep up with the fan-translatied manga and it's pretty nice. However, I am also very happy with my purchases in the English Naruto manga. Sometimes It's just better to have the book in your hands than it is to read it on a screen.

15. Riaf New Member

I'm just pissed off that they went and re-dubbed their volume one to get rid Naruto fingering Iruka, add fog around the Sexy no Jutsu and censor "dick" and "ass".

16. icoselitham Lost

Are you talking about the official manga or the one printed in shonen jump. I've only seen the english naruto manga in shounen jump which is how i got into naruto in the first place.

17. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

The ones that come in their own book thing.

18. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

They experimented with attack names early on...But have since stayed true to the original at around chapter 70ish. It's no different from reading it online really other then superior quality other then that...

19. DeathIsComing Nobody loves me. awsome!

i read the japanese before the english online...and then i went to the bookstore to pick up one of the english manga, and i didnt like it. the panels are too small, the translation...meh....and i dont like reading small letters, so i just scanned through the picture and look for cuss words, but i didnt find any.
    so yea, i'll just stick to the dub anime.

20. estupid New Member

Not really. It's exactly like the japanese anime. IE: Kohona, not village in the leaves or w/e.

21. Prodigy-child :P

Viz's Naruto manga are more of an adaptation than a translation. Yes, there is a difference. So it be more accurate to say their adaptation sucks. There are separate people who do these. I believe Mari Morimoto does the translation and Jo Duffy does the adaptation for the Naruto manga.

My opinion? Well, yeah, I don't particularly like the manga adapatation for Naruto though I'm happy to say its getting better. Though Viz releases the volumes are so freakin' slow and erratic. Need to get them out faster.

The anime has a much better adaptation and treatment than the manga does anyway.

22. Dark_wolf247 The vision of homoexcelsior.

Actually, I don't think the English Naruto manga is all that bad. It seems to follow the Japanese manga pretty closely if you ask me. Then again, I haven't read the Naruto manga since it showed the Haku arc in Shonen Jump.

23. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

I do read the Shonen Jump versions and buy the Viz graphic novels, however something always has bothered me about the two. I realize they change some dialogue, one example is this:

Zabuza: I've had enough of your bluffs. (American SJ)
    Zabuza: I've heard enough of your bullshit. (Translated Group)

However, there are some very confusing dialogue changes at times, some that conflict with the story. Example:

Haku: Please try not to resent me, but I'm willing to whatever it takes to protect the one I care about most...to fight, kill, or die to fulfill that person's dreams. Doing so my own dream. To that end, I will become a true shinobi and I shall kill you both. (American Shonen Jump)

Haku: Please don't hate me. I want to protect someone precious to me. To work for that person. To fight for that person. To make that person's dream come true. That is my dream. For that, I can become a true shinobi, I can kill you.
    (Translated Group)

The bold is the most important part obviously. In the American version, Haku stated he would indeed kill Sasuke and Naruto if it was necessary for his dream but in the translated he said he could kill them if they interfered with his dream. I think that's a big change right there, in terms of stoty and Haku's character. So, when it comes to these changes, who do we trust? The American Shonen Jump or the translators. Translations have not always been accurate, as I remember once downloading a early chapter from NF that spelled Uzumaki as Izumaki....

24. Goongasnootch 亀好き

Those changes aren't really big enough for me to constitute them as confusing or drastically different. I basically got the same idea from both of them.

25. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

But still, in the American SJ, Haku is announcing he's taking down them both down there and now. In the translated, he's basically giving them a warning, that he can kill them and will do it if necessary. It is confusing in this sense, because it makes you question Haku and the story procedure based off those variant statements.

26. Goongasnootch 亀好き

Are you trying to argue that I didn't get the idea?... as if you're some kind of referee as to what goes on in my head?

Look. In a nutshell I said that it makes no difference to me, kid.

27. nah-nah Believe it-ttebayo!

Cool it. Don't flame. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

<3 I quite like the manga, both versions.

28. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

Whoa whoa no. I like the SJ version as well, no argument was intended. I was just saying there is difference that strikes me to view Haku a bit differently. Geez, I'll just drop the topic...:huh

29. GreatMarta The almight writer

I guess the biggest problem about the manga is that when it goes out in our mother tongue we find it bad, because we are already used to the original version/translated by the group. That's what some manga translator form Poland said in an interwiev, and I have to say he is right. When I was reading Naruto manga in Polish, I found it okay, but since I got hold on English scanslations of the newest chapters, I started to find the Polish translation far worse.

The translator kept the bad words (fortunately) created a good Poplish version for ,,Datebayo", and kept everyone in his/her personality. The names of the jutsu have been translated into Polish, and sound pretty good. At the end of each volume, the translator puts the original names for all the jutsus, so everybody's happy. For example (I'll leave this to you ot judge if it's right):

Katon: Gokakyu na Jutsu became In the fire hide: The grand fireball technique
    Chidori became One Thousand Plovers
    Hakkeshou: rokuju yonshou became The 64 hands on eight pillars

What I think is that manga in our mother tongue will never be able to satisfy us completelky if we know the original/scantlasion of groups, but it gives us a familiar climat, it makes it closer to us. To hear the characters using our idioms, our bad words, having their own style in our langueage, it is so cool.

The one thing I am afraid of is when/if Naruto anime comes to Poland, they'll kick it the same as they did with Dragon Ball: They changed the names of all the characters (almost), the techniques too (almost), and I'll give you a few examples:

-Son Goku became Songo
    -Picolo became Heart Satan
    -Mr Satan became Hercules
    -Anytime Vegata calls Goku ,,Kakarott", the lector says: ,,Idiot!" insted. That's what happens when the translator has no idea of what he translates.
    -The name sof Nappa, Marron or some less important chars are not even mentioned

Okay, anyway, I said what I meant.

30. Chims New Member

like i said in my first post. the english trans is what got me hooked and im pretty sure a least a good number of people on here. so for that it should be given some cred.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005