1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Enjoy Incubus?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by jkingler, Jun 19, 2005.

1. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

The SP thread made me realize that Incubus don't get mentioned very often here on NF, and when they do get mentioned it is usually by me.

I know Spectrum shares my passion for Incubus, but I was wondering where the rest of the Incubites are?

Do you like their newer stuff? Or do you prefer their older albums? Favorite songs? Whatever. Just come pay tribute if you're a fan :p

Tags:
  2. skmt999 4th Division Captain

*feels embarrassed*
    All right, this will tell you how much I really MEAN it when I say I'm a hermit.

I recognise the name, but I can't remember if I've ever even heard any Incubus. I'm sure I have... somewhere.... but... *blushes*

3. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Wish You Were Here holds so much sentimental memories to me, but I frankly never sat through an entire album by them, even though I have three (Fungus Amongus , Morning View & A Crow Left of the Murder), so I really cant talk alot about them ^.^"

*runs from joe and speccy*

I plead for mercy!

4. Meijin Smile

I never really admit how much of an Incubus fan I am for some reason.

5. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Don't know much about them, I have just heard some of their later songs, and I tought it was to angsty for me.

6. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I like some songs, Smile Lines, Drive and Everything Is Dead are my faves. But I prefer the side project of Incubus, the Time Lapse Consortium, far more as a whole than Incubus itself. Though I have to say, compared to what Incubus used to play, I like their current style much better.

7. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

TLC is indeed a marvel. I was suprised when you told me it was Incubus' side-project

8. Sid _

Incubus <345

I love their older stuff, as I've noticed do most Incubus fans.

I think "Make Yourself" would be my favourite album, "Morning View" being a close second

favourite song; definitely 'Pardon Me'

9. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I done already been up in there, right Moe? XD

10. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

There are so many good Incubus songs and all of their albums, if not listenable in their entirety, have some value.

SCIENCE, Fungus Amongus, Enjoy Incubus, and the rest of the early stuff is way out there experiemental-ish stuff. There's funk, there's punk, there's metal, there's alternative, there's latin--they are mutt albums, really. Not all the songs are great, but what they are doing as far as genre blending/ripping/breaking in the early albums is great to hear.

Make Yourself and Morning View are, in my opinion, masterpieces (argue if you want, I don't care). They are the most cohesive and consistent of any Incubus albums, by far.

ACLTTM, the latest album is once again trying new things and leaving the comfort of the previous two albums. Brandon tries to take it up several octaves, and while he isn't nailing those notes it is really a shock (for me, at least) that he is trying to break the mold Incubus had established.

I could wax romantic about Incubus all day, but instead I will send you guys a bunch of their stuff (along with some of my favorite guitar solos). Bon apetit, dudes. :smile-big

11. Ryu Barbapapa

*fangirls over them* I even had a patch-thing sown on my russ-pants XD <3333
    And I mention them all the time in 'what song are you....' :O but noone ever cares :sad XDDD

12. Aruarian Well-Known Member

That's probably because no one reads that thread much. =/

13. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

^^I mostly post. I rarely read in there :laugh

I like you ever more now, Ryu. Sign on AIM and receive some music from moi :love

14. Kalmah Bird of Ill Omen

Same Here.

15. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

What from their older stuff do you like? I am partial to Summer Romance and Vitamin.

16. Kalmah Bird of Ill Omen

The whole Morning View album

17. Ryu Barbapapa

XD I know :p Just felt like pointing it out XD

Already online~

18. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

@Kalmah: Morning View is great. A classic, IMO. But I wouldn't call it their "older" stuff. Old Incubus, to me, means Fungus Amongus, SCIENCE, Enjoy Incubus, etc.

Morning View is more what I would call new Incubus, since it is their second most recently released album.

19. explicitkarma 24601

Live Incubus is also really good. Their Live in Japan and Live at Red Rocks bootlegs are awesome. They cover everything from SCIENCE and up. I guess they don't play any more Fungus stuff live anymore. They even bust out some drum circle improve-esq stuff.

I can't really pick a favorite album by them. Each album reminds me of a different time in my life and each album has it's own feel to it.

And I like it that way.

20. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Seems I have to dig up my Incubus records and give them a real listen this time about. Since I have Fungus Amongus , Morning View & A Crow Left of the Murder; which order do you reccomend I listen to them?

21. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

@Explicit Karma: Can you send me the Japan and the Red Rocks? :oh

I will rep you and give you music...[/end bribe] :p

22. ageofdarkness Shadow Master

Listen to Morning View first. It's very mellow compared to their other albums. Plus it has Wish You Were Here, a song I know you like. This is the album that really established Incubus as a famous mainstream rock band.

Then you should listen to their early work Fungus Amongus. It's experimental music explored in depth.

Last, A Crow Left of the Murder. It's really a combo of the sounds from the above two albums put together.

If you have the Halo 2 soundtrack, there is a 25+ minute song titled "The Odyssey" which was supposed to go on the Crow album.

I used to listen to Incubus a lot. Their old stuff was the best in my opinion. I loved S.C.I.E.N.C.E. :)

23. theoneandonly is back to his origin

i reallt love the song Drive by Incubus. They came to Malaysia last year and it was awesome!

24. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Do you have it? I have it live, acoustic, and studio. Just say so if you want me to PM them to you :D

25. theoneandonly is back to his origin

how about acoustic? yeah pm me

26. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

OK, PM on its way.

@Moe:

I would recommend you listen to them in the order they were released, since that is always the best way to see how a band grows and changes. In order would be: Fungus Amongus; Morning View; and then A Crow Left of the Murder.

But as far as getting you into Incubus, maybe MV would be the best starting point. (It is the most palatable of their albums, and second most palatable would be Make Yourself (which I sent to Ryu--PM her about it, Moe)).

So to get you into Incubus: MV, then ACLOTM, then Fungus Amongus. That is the order I heard them in, and I was fascinated by all the tweaking Incubus has done along the way. MV is their most conservative album, perhaps, but it is their most refined and coherent, as I said before. Then in ACLOTM you see Incubus breaking out of their massively appealing style (a bold move, and I love them for it) and trying a lot of new things. Then if you listen to Fungus Amongus last of all, you see just how crazy and loose they were to begin with. It's an interesting and revealing progression, IMO.

@Ageofdarkness: could you send me that 25 min track, by any chance? I don't have it and now that I hear you mention it, I really want it :smile-big

27. theoneandonly is back to his origin

28. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

PM dispatched to TOTO, Moe, Ryu, Speccy, and...someone else, I am sure :laugh

I am going to send it to some more people, then go to bed. Enjoy, folks!

29. ageofdarkness Shadow Master

Sorry man, I don't have it. :sad I listened to that soundtrack a few times 'cause my cousin bought it and lent it to me. I can tell you that I really enjoyed it. Maybe someone else might have it. :)

30. Ryu Barbapapa

*raises hand* I have the halo2 ost..
    Which odyssey are you talking about? =) (I mean, there are 4 X])