1. img
    Come enter in the Dragon Ball Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries: February 29th by 12:00pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Valentines Event!
    Click here to cast your vote for your favorite couple!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Bounced e-Mails Issue

Some accounts cannot post in NF anymore due to an e-mail related issue!
    If you are among those members, please, check this thread for more information about how to proceed!
    Or create a support ticket by going here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Episode 12 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Featured Anime of February 2014' started by Revan21, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Revan21

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZHG_CxGkQ[/YOUTUBE]

I hope Yuuta won't spend most of the episode moping around by himself.

Tags:
  2. blakstealth Moderator

ep12 spoilers coutesy of ultimatemegax

Spoiler:
    Episode 12: Eternal Engagement (Kanji are for "never ending contract")

Yuuta is uneasy over Rikka's disappearance. While he is worrying, he is told why the Wicked Eye was born from the second user of its power. Knowing the truth behind her power, Yuuta heads out into the town to search for Rikka. The story of the Dark Flame Master and the user of the Wicked Eye is concluded here.

Script: Junki Hanada
    Director/Storyboards: Taichi Ishidate
    Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno

3. Heretic

Concludes...? This is the final episode of the anime?

4. Brian

Looks too depressing for the last episode :(

5. Xiammes Supporting Staff

So this proves no second season? My fears are coming true, KyoAni is trying to ruin christmas.

6. Kurokami Medaka

Spoil yourself at your own risk.:wink

7. Xiammes Supporting Staff

Spoiler:

Well it was a happy ending, sorta, involved a high speed cop chase. At least they didn't try to wrap everything up in one episode. Still no kiss, what the hell.

Yuuta did the Banishment this world thing to show Rikka the ethereal horizon and helped her get over her fathers death. Probably the coolest animation in the series.

Seeing Sanae with her hair down was great, hhhnnnnnngggg worthy. Kumin with the eyepatch didn't look right.

Ended up liking it more then I thought I would, but I was still hoping for more.

8. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

[gg]_Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_-_12_[D6A39E87].mkv
    [URW]_Chuunibyou_demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_-_12_[720p][577EE8E7].mkv

9. Revan21

How could Yuuta call Dekomori 'kimochi warui'? She looks much better with her hair down :argh And Kumin taking over for Rikka was quite interesting :laugh I cannot say the same about Nibutani though, that realisation was too little too late.

DFM writing a letter to his older self and even involving the Mayan prophecy, that was just an awesome way to get Yuuta in gear :datass
    And while Rikka's flashback were most welcomed, I could have never guessed that it was DFM who started her on this crazy path of Chu2 :amazed

At long last, DFM has been reawakaned, and KyoAni gave us another beautiful tear-jerker ending :cry

10. Fate115

Yeah it was a great ending and great reawakening of the DFM, but still it wasn't enough. I would've prefered more DFM action going on. Alas still a great ending nonetheless.

11. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

I'm glad to see they were able to end the series on such a heart warming note. Seeing Kumin do her best Rikka impression while Sanae was trying to act normal felt weird, but in a refreshing way.

The parts I enjoyed most had to have been the letter Yuuta wrote to himself two years ago and of course seeing how Rikka originally attained her 8th grader syndrome. They were connected much longer than Yuuta even realized :amuse

12. blakstealth Moderator

jesus, this episode. So, DFM is reborn, decides to go back to the grandparents' house, trespasses on the roof, takes Rikka back, almost gets shot by the grandpa, and runs away without thinking about what the grandparents and one-dimensional mother feel, everyone's happy again, and cut, it's over...that's not good enough for me. I feel like this isn't a proper ending. To get this outta the way first, we see a normal Sanae in the beginning talking about how she thought about what Yuuta said to her in the last episode, which led us to believe that she, too, has changed. But that wasn't the case when we see her with her chuuni apparel like the first half of the episode never happened. I'm pretty confused with that development. And with Rikka going back to her chuuni ways again, I feel like there is something wrong . It makes me feel like she hasn't learned anything about the whole experience. She used chuuni as a way to cope with her bottled-up feelings about her father's death and to live a life not confirmed to society, but when DFM transcended her to the Unseen Horizon and said her goodbyes, it's all over. I think we can assume that she's now over it. But she's still under the contract of the Tyrant Eye. I just wished that there was a longer epilogue than seeing Rikka, chuuni swag and all, descend from the top floor to Yuuta's balcony. I want to see how this affects everyone around her, especially her family. Maybe it was just the episode itself being kinda vague about the whole thing; I just want a confirmation that Rikka has now accepted reality and now lives the chuuni life for fun. :/ I'll just assume that she has found the balance in reality and thug li- I mean chuuni life.

At the same time, I loved the Normal Sanae without the twin tails nunchucks. I also fuckin lol'd with Kumin and her chuuni act. When she was like, "Do you want to see my eye?" and when Yuuta was like, "no, thanks," and when she was like, "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh~"...that was too, too adorable. And I should've known that Sanae's loaded with money. That anime-ified Mercedes and chauffeur. :3

13. Wolfarus

It ended more or less how id thought they would end it. Yuuta changes his mind (to some degree, at least) and rushes to get her back / reinstill some chuun' into her for her own sake. Club members rally around to help, ect ect.

Only thing they didnt really elaborate on is if rikka and her mom moved back into the apartment above, or if rikka was just staying overnight when she came down the rope again. And i thought that touka would be popular over there with the guys :hurr

Wouldnt object to a 2nd season, but its not something i desperately want to happen, either :hurr

14. Eki

No kiss :[

15. TylerDurden

Well, it finally ended, All in all it was an enjoyable ride...fraught with multifarious emotions spread evenly throughout its run...but still, the tonal transition starting from episode 7 was too jarring for its own good...i know everything came in full circle in the end but even the twist to levy it was too forced...i mean, really? Rikka earned her chuunibyou from yuuta? the whole thing was so fairy-tale-like it kinda felt like the series was betraying itself...

At one point i actually gave it a 10..the weak finish which was caused by its poor script which didn't manage to bridge the transition of tones in the middle of the series seamlessly (which as i said before, became its biggest shortcoming) has dropped its score to only eight....still, a worthwhile journey, but not one i'll revisit anytime soon....

8/10

16. Corwin

I thought Rikka would still "graduate" from her chuunibyou after she said goodbye to her father. Only it would be on a positive note, not negative like before. Not sure how I feel about her doing it again. But I assume now she accepts that her father is gone, so she's just fooling around and having fun, not denying reality like before.

17. blakstealth Moderator

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  18. Eisenheim

Not really digging DFM's letter to Yuuta. Other than that, everything's okay for me. I am happy that Rikka finally got closure regarding her father's death and that was certainly a beautiful scene.

19. afgpride Retired Staff

Everything was great except for one thing that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Do they or do they not come of age? The show can't seem to make up its mind. It would have been great if they left the 8th grader syndrome as an aspect of their personality they've embraced but only expose as a non serious and playful gesture. Reverting back to the eye patch and childish demeanor long-term leaves the show with a clouded message. After Rikka finally said goodbye, that should have been the official end to the charade, not its permanent revival.

20. belkrax

It was perfect, easily one of the best animes i have watched this year.

At least i didnt cry at the end. But thinking of it, the only anime i have ever cried to is Clannad.

21. Wicked Eye

None of you understand the narrator at the end, right?

Rikka doesn't need to graduate from her chuunibyou, and doesn't need to feel ashamed of it, chuunibyou is something that goes with you all your life.

In other series like Steins;gate or Realpg the protagonists have permanent chuunibyou and nobody says something about their personalities, so why you care so much if Rikka is still denying the reality?

22. Eki

I don't think she's denying it anymore, but the way she was going about it before wasn't healthy. And we care because I think some of us are looking at it and are comparing it to real life. Seriously, how many adults do you see walking around with capes, eye patches, etc. and pretending the world around them is like some fantasy action anime 24/7 everyday?

23. afgpride Retired Staff

Okabe's act was purely done for humor purposes. He was mature and competent when the situation demanded it. Putting the eye patch and Chuunibyou demeanor back on is returning back to square one. It's not preserving personality, it's eliminating the character development built over the whole show. If it was preserved as a comedic element to the personality only brought up for playful and non serious gestures, I think that's the way it should have went.

24. Bleach

Wow Dekomori is uber cute with her hair let out like that.

Expected ending. Was really only sad when Rikka finally said bye to her dad. Was hoping it would go into a way where she wouldn't go back to her syndrome but didn't think it would happen anyway.

Overall, the series was pretty awesome. Very fun, good animation, story, and characters. 9/10 would watch again :hurr . Awesome OP and ED too!

25. Yakushi Kabuto

Dekomori's fake change was pretty scary, glad that didn't last. xD; Love how they worked in the Mayan end of days for the letter. I'm certainly glad the apocalypse has not arrived so that I may watch this. It was very sweet. :)

The issue of Rikka going back to how she was actually doesn't bother me anyway. What matters is how people see her. I do believe that in the future there will be those who will continue to challenge what she stands for. But now she has her closer, she isn't doing it to hide from what she doesn't want to admit. And now she has people by her side who can support her. I think that makes all the difference when it comes to quality of life. It might seem a bit too much like dependence but she's capable in her own way and helps people. So I think it will work out for all involved.

26. St. YatōKiri_Kilgharrah

Lol the joke review that gave it a 1?(and paynis)

Or do you mean the review that has a 7 ( which has a completely view from you where they prefer the later half to the feel of the first half which you enjoyed

27. blakstealth Moderator

Was talking about the penis. :hurr

28. Brian

Dekomori is the only one that can lose her Chuunibyou, she was much cuter with her new look and personality.

I'm pretty happy with the ending, I knew Daarku Frame Mastaru would save Rikka from her depression, I couldn't picture the series ending with Rikka without her Chuunibyou when she was so unhappy without it. I'm glad she finally lets go of her past and says goodbye to her father, not attaching it to her Chuunibyou, it's something for fun and there's nothing to be ashamed about, well on her end not sure about Yuuta.

This was a great series, I only wished that the other characters were fully explored like Rikka.

29. Xiammes Supporting Staff

Dekonormal was great.

30. Pesky Bug

Well, that was a nice ending. Finally got to see Dark Flame Master in action. :gar

Though I still think this lesson that everyone keeps their syndrome could've been applied earlier on... They could've done the whole coming to terms thing while still retaining the sense of humor, instead of beating the shit out of it and throwing it off a cliff. =/ Honestly, what I found more shocking wasn't the story itself but the sudden change in mood and I don't think that's the part was supposed to be grabbing your attention.