1. img
    Voting is live in the Art Lounge Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We consider ideas for a brand name. You can probably come up with a good one. Click. Within cells, interlinked.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Episode 17 Discussion

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by Revan21, May 2, 2015.

1. Revan21

[HorribleSubs] Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works - 17 [1080p].mkv
    [HorribleSubs] Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works - 17 [720p].mkv
    [HorribleSubs] Fate Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works - 17 [480p].mkv

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Tags:
  2. MunchKing

Archer being awesome as usual. :gar

3. Revan21

Gae Bolg vs Rho Aias was the highlight of the episode, but Caster taking a major beating from Tohsaka as not bad either. And as usual, Archer is still scheming and backstabing to reach his own goal.

The only thing I did not like is Kuzuki's end, considering Caster sacrificed herself to save him, and he just threw his away instead of finding a reason for it.

4. Kellogem

Archer vs Lancer was way too short, like a little warm-up and straight into the NP duel.. wanted some Kansou / Bakuya boomerang action at least.. but liked how Archer used his bow for a bit, ufotable sure likes it. Im afraid I wont see overedge this adaptation.

biggest disappointment was Caster vs Rin magic duel, that was hardly something you can call duel and this time Caster havent had the chance to show anything... Rin beating part was good tho..

Souchirou vs Shirou was alright, nothing special here or in VN either.

also liked Souchirous death in the VN more, punching Archer in the face while he stabbed him, but not a big thing.. why getting crushed by debris?

otoh Gae Bolg vs Rhoi Aias was better then I expected, really neat.

Archer shouldnt always be so humble, if I was him, I would be like "hmph, this is not even my real Noble Phantasm, yet it could block yours.. but good job ruining my clothes.. put on a "The dog might bite" sign."

5. Evolution

Was Gae Bolg always a mini nuke? Anyway, loved the fight between the two, Lancer impressed me though. I didn't expect him to be such a monster when he stopped holding back. Guess his A rank battle continuity shows, he's not an easy opponent to take down, not even when you have the upper hand against him.
    Poor Archer, not his fault he can't face to a true master of a weapon, unlike him who didn't master anything. It's a bit strange that he was summoned as an Archer.

Also, Rin impressed me as well. I didn't expect her to fight so well. She may lose to Caster in magic ability, but she makes up with brute strength. Better watch out Shirou, she could use that power on you in many painful ways.

So Caster is out, Saber is rescued and things are looking good...not really. Rin should have been more careful, Archer never confirmed her thoughts about his goals, nor is he her Servant. He didn't go to Caster's side to play the double agent role, though it did work, he did it to get rid of your Command Spell. Guess which one?

Entertaining episode. Here are some images from the next one.
    Spoiler:

BTW, I love Saber's ponytail.

6. Kellogem

not in Unlimited Codes at least.. I thought it should just pierce really hard, but explosions are flashy I guess..

and Saber ponytail looks superior to normal Saber, she looks a bit like Saber Lily..

7. Ftg07

The scene looked amazing but what's with the brightness/contrast changes it makes the colors look dull imo:hm hope they change them in the bd release.

Tohsaka beating the shit out of Caster felt real good:mahnigga

Saber is finally back for some action :yay

Looking forward to next week.

8. Evolution

Also, huge hint this episode on Archer's identity.

9. reiatsuflow

Was archer's main goal in joining caster to get his command seals removed from rin so that he could act on his own? It couldn't have just been to get a sneak attack on caster, since he had a chance to kill caster half a dozen episodes ago, and didn't.

That gae bolg flower shield scene was beautiful.

10. Shiba D. Inu

> Rins perfect legs, now reinforced

:bury

11. Evolution

Yeah, just imagine what she can stomp with those.

12. Shiba D. Inu

13. Ftg07

Spoiler:

14. Kellogem

Archers identity should be clear as day at this point... too bad I never had the chance to realize it myself, since I got it spoiled after DEENs Fate... wonder how it would feel.

also lol Archer acting like he lost Rho Aias cause it was "destroyed"...

15. Evolution

At least I can enjoy the reactions of the anime only watchers that do live reactions on Youtube. I know one who will be quite amusing.

16. Ghost

Great episode. Best of the season two so far.

17. chibbselect

I'm starting to think archer's goal is to drag everyone else down into his unhappy place.

18. blakstealth Moderator

That was a damn good episode. A lot of advancement in the plot and some sprinkles of good action. I didn't even think of Archer playing the Trojan Horse since it was that convincing. Caster may have been a cunning antagonist, but fuck goddammit, she's beautiful. :p

Now Archer is saying shit like Shirou does. These two obviously have something in common now. Hints and some foreshadowing moments have been dropped throughout the show. Maybe he's Shirou in some weird parallel dimension? ?_?

19. Punk Zebra

Well shit............................ Casters end was so anti-climatic.:(

20. Kellogem

why was Kuzuki urging Caster to command Saber when he basically had Shirou and Rin defeated.. all he had to do is finish them off with or without Casters help who could have regenerated in no time..

21. ~Greed~ Advisor

Fixed the thread title. Good episode, but I was hoping that it would be animated a bit further, and that the fights would be longer.

22. MusubiKazesaru Moderator

Because none of them are very smart, any of them, except Lancer and maybe Archer

23. reiatsuflow

Kuzuki never acted on his own, really. I think he didn't kill shiro because he wasn't sure if he should, and the same for rin. He could have killed both shiro and rin. Summoning saber to kill them could also be because caster and her master were suspicious of whether or not they had any more tricks up their sleeve.

And how did archer take down kuzuki so quickly? Kuzuki took down rider and almost took down saber, and smashed excalibur. Why was that so easy?

The scaling and powers of this show make next to no sense for an anime only. Zero didn't really make any sense on this front, either. I don't know why it just took archer materializing a row of swords to take down kuzuki, since he could have done that at any time for any reason. The show suggested that caster's surveillance had to be down before archer made his half second command and materialized his swords in half a second, but all total it takes about one second to make that attack, so I don't... I don't get it.

24. Evolution

After Caster died, the magic enhancements Kuzuki had were also gone. He was just a bit better than a normal human, nowhere near the level of a Servant.

And Archer needed Caster to have her guard down or else she would have used a Command seal to stop him for good. Also, Archer is the kind that likes to play safe so he waited for the perfect opportunity. He knew Shirou and Rin would come and fight Caster again, so he waited for them to do their part.

25. Kellogem

iirc there was a bad end in the VN where he literally punched Rins head off I think.. it was when they found out he is a master, you make a bad decision and it doesnt go the way we saw in the anime, but Rin getting killed, and I remember something like Shirou getting his leg broke, and at the end he stood on one leg like an idiot after witnessing Rins head smashed..

I dont think it would be problematic for Kuzuki to kill them..

in the VN Kuzuki punched Archer in the face, but with his fists not strengthened by Casters magic anymore, it did little damage while Archer stabbed him in the chest the same time..

I have to say in the anime they made him look like a chump, its one thing he havent had the enhancement, but his reactions, speed and fighting style should have been the same, yet Archer was cutting him up with the same ease as taking candy from a child.

Im not sure, but I guessed he had to do the "I am the bone of my sword" chants first line to materialize swords from thin air.. not sure if it was stated, but that was the impression I had.. and with Casters surveillance she could have Command Sealed him to commit suicide or whatever before he could have attacked her.

26. reiatsuflow

I actually had no idea caster was enhancing kuzuki. It makes sense that she would, but I don't remember if it was stated anywhere (or if this is information from the VN). I had the impression he was talented like kirei. Not that kirei could necessarily take on a servant, either. I misjudged his power level.

27. Evolution

It was mentioned briefly in episode 10 that Kuzuki was enhanced with Caster's magic. Also, he only appeared that strong because he caught Saber by surprise. Put them for a rematch and Saber will defeat him now that she knows of his abilities.
    Kirei on the other hand had proper training as a magus. He's the real deal, though not enough to fight a Servant.

28. Kellogem

Kirei is a monster, I think he would hit as hard without any kind of magic as Kuzuki enhanced by Caster..

but Casters enhancement just made Kuzukis fists harder so everything else is his natural abilities...

29. Revan21

30. The World

man Caster got beaten by Rin and went out like a chump

and kuzuki was no match for archer at all :lmao

should have been more Lancer vs Archer

it really doesn't make any sense

aside from the beautiful animation this anime is practically a flop

hint? they practically fell over to tell you who he is

didn't he just inform Caster not to underestimate them any further?

seems clear he was covering his bases in case one of them did another BS nonsense surprise attack

Last edited: May 4, 2015