1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethical Theories, Which one is most correct?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by IBU, Oct 2, 2006.

1. IBU

So I came into the philosophical forum expecting to see some threads relating to bare bones ethical philosophy rather than what to do in said situation and I see none. This may have been done before, but I hope this is a completely take on it.

So as the title says what ethical theory is the most correct and logical? There are many reasonings for nearly every single ethical theory's superiority but what makes the one that you agree with more correct. It is more applicable to everyday life and will lead to greater happiness or is just correct because of the intentions behind it. Alright I have already alluded some theories for those who are not familiar with ethical theories I will make a list of a few that will probably end up being the center of this discussion/argument.

The above quote is all directly from Wikipedia, however I went over each definition to make sure that it made sense and was accurate.

If anyone else feels strongly about another ethical theory post it up and we can discuss it.

Now I say begin the debate, if any of these theories strikes you as brilliant and right or ludicrous and wrong, post away and hopefully an engaging discussion will ensue.

Tags:
  2. Narvi

Well, though I'm not really well informed about ethical theories, I think I will comment on what you have posted.

Utilitarianism seeks to help the most benefits to the most people, with the least problems to others. Kantian ethics seem to me to be prone to abuse; the "moral" thing is up to debate, and may not benefit the most people. While followers of Utilitarianism will choose the most beneficial path. (Go for the money, so to speak.) And what are "universal principles"? A moral code must change with the times to be relevant. And relativism, from what I've read... seems useless. Yeah, we have behaviours based on context. What's your point? A moral code has to be applied to the situation at hand, otherwise it has no point.

I apologize for the brusqueness of this post, and its simplistic generalizations, but it is late, and I wish to sleep.

3. IBU

I dont really care at least someone responded in this thread.

To me utilitarian is quite ridiculous in the sense that it does not allow for any partiality. Your actions cant just benefit your family and friends, they have to benefit the most people. This can lead to problems and goes against human nature. Also it just very impractical, it is hard for one to calculate all the pains and pleasures for every decision one makes. It does not allow a person to react in a situation and certain situation require a reaction rather than a calculation based on possible pains and pleasures. Utilititarianism for me is the communism of ethical theories looks great in theory, but almost impossible to apply.

4. EvilMoogle Supporting Staff

In all fairness, you can say that about any of the theories.

Relativism sounds great in theory, but it can be used to justify any action so long as there is a societal precident.

Kant's the same way, it sounds good in theory, but allows for actions based on non concrete outlining of morals and is thus subject to individual and societal corruption of these moral ideals.

I lean towards utilitatarianism due to the fact that it can be quantified. However I admit there has to be some human oversight to make sure that things have perspective.