1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Every fourth black man is imprisoned in the US

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Toby, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Toby

"Every fourth black man is imprisoned in the US"
    -Magasinet, Norwegian Tabloid

Did you know? Here is a couple of cut-outs from the article:

- "I hope that I at least get another few months of freedom. I wouldnt have sent a dog back their. If I go back to jail I dont know what I`ll do", he says.

The man is called RICHARD FLEMING (38) he lives in New Orleans and has a daughter, his friends and neighbours took care of his daughter whilst he was in jail.

Dewayne Thomas (27), also black yes.
    He has been imprisoned for the following reasons:

- Dressing unsuitably, wearing a white singlet and jeans
    - Possession of crack, whether true or not isnt not stated

However, imprisoned for not being dressed decently? And another guy was imprisoned for holding up the civilian traffic when he was going to the shops.

Population divided into racial groups of background:
    - White 69%
    - Blacks 12,5%
    - Latin-American 12,5%
    - Others 6%

The imprisoned, divided into racial groups of background:
    - White 34,5%
    - Blacks 44%
    - Latin-American 18,5%
    - Others 3%
    Seriously, this is a serious issue in the US, because its national.

The topic, does the police have the right to do this? Nationally

Tags:
  2. Scorpio3.14

lol

37.1 million African Americans live in the United States according to the 2003 US Census. The total population of US prisons is around 2 million

you do the math, that article is clearly misleading and just plain wrong.

3. Chamcham Trigger

The fact remains that the majority of people in prison are black despite not being in the majority of the population. In the end though a lot of those people belong there while a good amount are their under false pretences.

4. DragonHeart52

From the U.S. Department of Justice website - Bureau of Justice Statistics (article link) for prison statistics

At midyear 2004 there were 4,919 black male prison and jail inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,717 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 717 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

same site, jail statistics with several evals of statistics

Jail population trends by age and gender, 1990 - 2004
    Almost nine out of every ten jail inmates were adult males. However, the number of adult females in jail increased faster than males

Jail population trends by race and ethnicity, 1990 - 2004
    Between 1990 and 2004, the number of white and Hispanic jail inmates increased at the same average annual rate. The number black inmates increased at a slower pace

Jail incarceration rate trends by race and ethnicity, 1990 - 2004
    Blacks were two times more likely than Hispanics and five times more likely than whites to be in jail.

From a July 2003 newspaper article dealing with prison populations:

?About 10 percent of all black men between 25 and 29 were incarcerated last year, compared with 1.2 percent of white men and 2.4 percent of Hispanic men. Overall, the 586,700 black men in prison outnumbered both the 436,800 white males and 235,000 Hispanic males. Black males account for about 45 percent of all inmates serving a sentence longer than a year.

The article goes on to describe how increases in prison populations are due to mandatory sentencing.

The situation is far more complex than just race, dealing with the type of crime that results in a mandatory sentence if convincted and the level of counsel available to a defendant (which may include income levels, etc).

In any case, the stats reported in your article are off. These references should be helpful in providing you and others with a more accurate picture of U.S. prison populations.

5. martryn

I think we can blame a lot of it on the rap music scene. They make everyone out to be a thug and pimp, and that just gets people in trouble.

6. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

American tabloids say that the Norwegians are harboring Hitler, and plan to launch the Fourth Reich when the time is right. Is that true?

7. Sakurako

Every third reasearch is wrong. =)

8. Toiletnojutsu

If you only knew *sigh*

9. Toby

Dear dear,

your references are older than mine, not stating anything negative about your reports, they probably had some truth back when they applied.

But listen up, the tabloid I have quoted is THE number one updated tabloid in Norway, not to mention that Norway is the country in which we read the most newspapers and tidings in the world, recently proven only by Christmas.
    Also, the article is from yesterday, or the day before, either way more updated than your last year reports.

The tabloid in question is very objective, I regret to inform you that not all newspapers and tidings in the US are so *cough* Koran discrimination in Guantanamo *cough*:wink
    The newspapers have a lot more political effect than you would know in Norway, they are unofficially known as the fourth state authority, watching over the government and parliament. Other things could be said about the US` political power in tabloids etc.

But on-topic, do the police have the right to be so strict against anyone?
    The sleezy responses from authorities have so far been mostly quoting back to the first time a black person committed a crime. Well, true that blacks have committed crimes, but by percentage done way more than what is above their heads. Do you get my drift? There IS tampering with numbers, and it is ridiculously easy to be a prick when making percentage-reports, just sum up an additional percentage and state it is the objective percentage been divided equally if researched by an influential.

10. Tsukiyomi

The American tabloids can sometimes be the most entertaining things on earth, oh the bullshit they come up with.

11. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

Well, I guess we can get bogged down in numbers but the fact is that black males are disproportionally incarcerated. Not sure if this is surprising in the least, but African American males are receiving harsher sentence than whites, for the same exact offense. Well, some of it has to do with the differences in SES (Socioeconomic status) rather than just race; and as a result, African American males are imprisoned at a higher rate. My comaprison is based more so on young (teenage males) than any other age group.
    But if you committed a crime and it's your first offense, your probably less likely to be given a 2nd chance if your being defended by a public attorney than another kid who has their parents arrange legal consultation. I'm guessing their is a bit of bias...definetly not blatant or even intentional, but inherit in the system. And it's not something that can be addressed in one fell swoop.

when you looks at the ethnic breakdown of the population and then look at the imprisonment rate for each group, there is a observable and apparent discrepancy, which is a bit disturbing.

12. Shikamaru-sama

Its also been reported (although as yet uncomfirmed) every 2nd man in the american prison system has a penis!

seriously.

13. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

If you weren't 14 and apparently stupid, I so wouldn't forgive you for that. :tem

Anyway, bottom line: Your tabloid newspaper is full of more shit then a port-o-potty at a Russian army camp.

Yes, African Americans are disproportionally incarcerated, and as Kira Yamato pointed out, this has not so much to do with racial discrimination as the generally lower economic status that African Americans are subject to.

Obviously that's a problem in itself, but unlike mere racial discrimination, it cannot be dismissed with a mere change in attitudes.

14. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Oh, and I'd like to emphasize this point to Toby_Christ, who is apparently still under the impression that he's reading an honest newspaper.

There are not enough prisons in the world to incarcerate a fourth of the African American population. Honestly.

15. Chamcham Trigger

I kinda doubt that counts over to here. I really don't think that stealing became a culture or part of black people's genetics (I doubt you meant genetics anyway) because slaves had to result to stealing, especially since most slaves didn't steal (but a good amount of them did for just reasons). Stealing isn't even a reason to be incarcerated for large periods of time. The news usually likes to showcase the murders as the biggest reasons for black incarceration anyways. In the end, blacks remain the predominant race in jails in all of the statistics, wether out dated or recent.

16. dont_look_back

thats how they run in the family

slaves stole, but not all of them.

also all non-white people (until about 1950) had less education thats another reason

17. HolyHands

Most of it comes from the fact that blacks on average have less money than whites. I remember once hearing about an economy model where the average family earns slightly more income than the previous generation. Considering the fact that minorities have constantly received the short end of the stick in the past, it comes to no surprise that blacks are more likely to be poor; which then leads to a greater likeliness in ending up in prison.

Poorness tends to lead to desperation, and desperation can cause people to do crazy things. You'd be surprised at how fast your morals are thrown out the window when you're nearly starving to death.

18. NeophyteNihilist

That doesn't run in the family. Its just that with the way capitalism works the rich get richer and the poor stay poor. If you don't get any education, then you turn out poor. If you're poor you commit crimes. That probably explains the generally lower economic status of African Americans and, therefore, the disproportionantly large amont of African Americans in jail.

Also there should be a rule that says using tabloids for a source of information results in an automatic ban.

edit: dangit HolyHands beat me to it. O, well.

19. ninamori

People stole because they had to, not because their skin was dark.

Oh God, how I wish I wasn't 14. I feel so.... dumb. Being grouped with this intelligence level.... *looks around* Oh, wait, I'm 24. =O

20. NudeShroom

Lets see, 1 of every 4 black men. thats 1/8 of the total African population. (considering the woman also)
    About 40% should be minors. thats 1/20 of the total African population. Now lets consider the whole population of the us. that would make it so 1 person in every 160 people have been imprisoned.

I don't believe that crap. :oh

Crap, I don't even get half my post, but it makes some sense. Sorta :S

21. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

Your math both confuses and infuriates me :laugh

*is math deficient :p*

Fact is African American males are disproportionally incarcerated...it's a sad fact. But the 1st post that I read just didn't register with me, because the numbers seem a bit inflated to say the least :S

22. The Mist

lol. Anyways, I don't think there will any hard facts showing the current prison state inmates. Most sources can be biased and incorrect, depending on who owns their company.

In the end, it is the fight against the billion dollar corporations. Fight the Power!

23. NudeShroom

Yes, some people just see them diffrently. Those are the people who are idiots and need to use something as stupid as Race or Gender to compliment themselves. It's what I thought, and its idiotic if they do that.
    In my area, Everyone here most likly has some African in them, or know some. Just about everyone here is. So I'm the type of person so that if there is any Prejudice WHATSOEVER, I freaking hate it.

24. The Mist

I agree. However, this is present in any country and not just America. You can find these idiots anywhere you travel. Some people learned this is wrong through education and the idiots are still stuck in their own little world full of anger and hate.
    I'm glad I live in Ontario, Canada. Majority of the people accept other people and their culture. I go to a catholic school and we even have some muslims attending just because the public schools are not in their area and their are no conflicts or prejudiceism, everyone pretty much understands.

Anyways, I have a feeling if American tax money is spend on education, rather then bombs, then we wouldn't be having this dicussion.

25. ChaochroX

There are a couple of reasons for this problem. One is the system that we are stuck in that has been being built ever since the slavery times but more so after the slaves were "freed". During slavery times the white masters would saverly punish a slave for even the most minor offence and that kind of disaplin has been carried on through the slaves to even modern generations. Black parents are alot stricter on their children then others because and it is automaticly detramental to the next generation and so on and so forth. One thing that people don't know is that the slaves were not freed because anyone cared it was because the North was jeolous of the South for making all that "easy money". If they truly cared then they would have stoped all the autrausities (sp?) that occured to the former slaves. The same white masters that had owned the slaves where now using them saying "Oh here's some land of your on and I'll give it to you for free but you'll have to tend to this farm for me and give me a cut of your profets." The so called freed slaves thought this to be a great deal and even thought highly of they're "business parters" but they're "business parters knew they had no educationand could easily swindle them. With this they could still make profets and could keep the blacks in line. If any blacks got uppity they they'd just kill them. This controll went on all the way up untill the civil rights movement where the movement became so strong that they couldn't stop it with just killing them anymore. What they did instead though was to give them a false sence of sacurity and built up the system that we are curently stuck in today. Though no longer outwardly segrigated they still managed to segrigate all of america puting the blacks in the shity areas while takeing the good areas to themselfs. I live in the most segrigated city in america Chicago and I can tell you its like night and day travaling form one area to another. Over time the blacks got bad names in society and have a harder time growing up then everyone else. And the media tells them that they should be gangsters and that they cant make it in the rest of society. That paired with the abusive childhoods where they are just begging for attention, the shitty neiborehoods where they live around the gangs and crime, and the overall mindset that been built up in the minds of our youth leads alot more cime in our race. My point is that its up to us as a people to break out of this system where we have no choice but to be a criminal. It has happened before in generations before us but it realy needs to happen now. Any way I think I've rambled on enough.

26. deathdemon

:S i am baka so i dont get that math lol :S :blink

27. Scorpio3.14

The thing is, can you prove that African American males dont comit a disproportionate amount of crimes? Im not niave enough to say that there is absolutely no prejudice in our legal system, but we cant simply blame the high amount of black inmates on it. The fact of the matter is that the average American black male is more likely to commit a jail time punishable offense then anyone else in America. Im not saying black people just inherently comit more crimes, its more about socioeconomic factors then anything else it seems.

28. deathdemon

nicely said ChaochroX

29. T2004

Ramble on, man. I agree with every word you say. The numbers don't surprise me, no matter how confusing they may be. In our society people see race as means to distinguish themselves. But with poor blacks living in inner city area with no money and no food, what else are you suppose to do to survive? But that's not the only reason blacks are put into jails, racial profiling where a black person happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time also add to why jails are filled with not only blacks, but puerto ricans as well. But sadly it's the world we live in, where we smile and turn our heads the other way.

30. ChaochroX

Yeah I was gonna mention some of that stuff but I didn't want my post to be to long other wise people wouldn't read it.