1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exactly how much time HAS passed in One Piece? (spoilers?)

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Archive' started by Manetheren, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Manetheren

After some discussion in the 432 thread regarding the development of some characters... It started a discussion of just how much time has passed so far.

I got bored and decided to speed through the old chapters and try and get a rough idea.

Here is what I have found so far.

Rough estimate of time spent on each island:

-Luffy's home - Day of departure.
    -Albida's - 1 day
    -Morgan's - 1 day (kicked off after they ate dinner.)
    -Buggy's - 1 day (kicked off again)
    -Gaimon's (the treasure chest guy) - 1 day
    -Ussop's - 2 days (attack happened at dawn the day after they arrived... they left before the night was done)
    -random island - <1 day (met the 2 pirate hunters here. important because we are given a timeframe to the next location here.)
    -Travel Time - 2-3 days (given to us by the pirate hunters)
    -Restaurant Baratie pt.1 - 3 days (at this point Creig arrives.)
    -Baratie pt.2 - X days (at least 1... this covers the time Luffy is unconscious)
    -Arlong Park - X days (at least 3-4... It is described afterwards as days of partying before the Strawhats leave.)
    -Logue Town - 1 day

---PRE-GRAND LINE TOTAL - 18+ days of time confirmed. Likely closer to 1 month.

-Entrance to Grand Line - 1 day
    -Whiskey Peak - 2 days
    --Travel Time - >2-3 days (based on Mr.3's comments)
    -Little Garden - 2 days
    --Travel Time - 3 days (Kureha said it was about 3 days since Nami got bit by the bug in LG.)
    -Drum Island - 2 days (stated by Nami)
    -Alabasta - 1 week (2 days before the attack, 1 day of, 3 days of sleep, 1 day to leave)
    -Jaya - 4 days (travel on Knock Up stream after that)
    -Skypiea - roughly a week or so (unknown total... said to be "days" of partying after the defeat of Eneru.)
    -Davy Back Fight/Aokiji - 5 days (stated that they stayed 4 days more for recovery.)
    --Travel Time - 3 days
    -Water Seven - 2 days (they leave at around midnight 2nd day, before the next morning they are at Enies Lobby)
    -Enies Lobby - 1 day
    -Water Seven pt.2 - 2 days (including travel time back from Enies Lobby)

---GRAND LINE TOTAL (so far) - 44+ days, adding unknown travel time... probably about 2-2.5 months total.

That brings us to the current point where Garp has arrived.

So even giving a reasonable amount of extra days for traveling time, Its only been about 3-4 months since Luffy left his home.

Good lord... that is really hard to believe.

Tags:
  2. Heldensheld

i remember reading somewhere that it was not quite a month from when they entered grand line or something... O.o in any case, i really hope that it's been longer than a few months. from the latest chapter spoilers, it looks like it's been a LONG time, not just a few months.

4. Jh1stgen

It took European ppl to travel to North America ... months?

So the sea in the serie must be relatively small?:oh

5. Kimi Sama

Nice thread, I was just thinking about the same thing.

I'm thinking it has to have been alot longer than a mere 3 months though. I think we can probably add weeks, of travel in between each location they visited. It's not like you can just sail from island to island in just half a day or so each... unless the OP world has an incrediably dense amount of islands with hardly any sea to speak of.

Plus it's somewhat bizzare to think Luffy and co have gotten so much stronger in mere months. I've always thought the voyage has been going for maybe 2 or so years, although that's just what I feel it should be, rather than having any actual evidence for it

With any luck perhaps it will be mentioned soon, especialy since Koby and Helmeppo have shown up, and they hadn't been seen since the start of the series.

6. Jh1stgen

Quite true indeed ... :amuse

---

Someone really needs to ask Oda how old Luffy is now currently .. this will give us a good indication how much time has passed

7. Raptor

I think that One Piece is one of those mangas where the characters never grow up, so I don't really care about that :/

8. Louis-954

There just NO WAY two little snots could grow that big and physically change so much in 2 months.

9. Black Swan

I have to agree with 2 years time should have passed, i think all the boring travel and idle time between islands was not shown or mentioned by oda but it still went by.

10. Nice Gai

Maybe the ate the Grow Grow fruit. Damn Coby is bad ass. Between each arc must had been some long sailing.

11. ez

i came to the conclusion they've been out for about 3 months as well but this is nice and detailed ^_^

12. Scorpio3.14

Its obvious that Coby has been training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber >_>

XD

Anyways, nice post *reps* I was wondering this myself but I didnt want to go back through the entire manga and see how much time has passed.

13. Hitotsumami

14. Manetheren

Well in Grand Line at least we have several confirmed instances of how far it was between islands.

Little Garden -> Drum Island = 3 days.
    -- As I said, Dr. Kureha said that Nami would have been bit by the bug that made her sick about 3 days prior, which was in Little Garden. If she had gone 5 days after, she would have been dead.

Davy Back Fight Island -> Water Seven = 3 days.
    --- It was mentioned that it was early in day 3 since they had left the island right when they ran into the Train for the first time, and it was less than a day before they reached Water Seven.

So it really isnt THAT far between many of the islands. Some of the ones where there wasnt any time frame mentioned may have taken longer, but probably no more than a week or two in any situation.

15. Masaki

I'm certain it must have taken days to go from Morgan to Buggy in those dinky little boats.

16. the_ilest

wow i actually agree with this time line.

17. Jh1stgen

I wonder how many days, weeks ... Luffy was in that barrel in the 1st episode:oh