1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

[Complaint] Explanation for the removal of the dumb, bad spelling, and old rating

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Freechoice, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Xiammes Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Since freechoice will likely respond before he see's this. This is a open discussion so people are free to give their thoughts, I'm not here to shut down arguments for the old/bad/spelling.

Pretty much the same level as any normal user. Go to the post, click to see who gave what ratings, then go and find the next post. No way to find out all the outgoing ratings of someone, at least none that I am aware of.

2. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

Even members used to be able to when the change first happened, back when you could even see when a post was repped. But I think they got rid of it to pretend it doesn't exist as an excuse to not look. Now they can say "Well, then we'd have to check literally every post to see if it's true!"

Funny though how it wasn't a problem or difficult to do when people like Beta were abusing the Dislike option. :skully

3. aiyanah finesse

you can still view reps that someone else's post has received, you just have to have repped the same post

but that aside, i've seen people abusing dislikes and get away scott free, blatantly abuse them at that with a list of ratings received posted by the victim and it being two pages of dislikes
    does the caveat of it taking place around the time of trump's election absolve that shit or is that allowed?
    if its the latter then why isn't it the same with the removed ratings?

4. aiyanah finesse

should be said that reacting to opinions regarding an election should not make it ok to dislike every post one can see from a user who has opinions that are contra

5. Aphrodite Global Moderator

Your right it does not make it right imo.

6. Freechoice Freechoice

> victim realises he's getting mass dumb'd
    > reports person "this guy keeps dumbing my posts"
    > mod looks at ratings given (assuming they can view this the same way we can, as I can view others recent ratings, surely mods can)
    > ban ?

If the victim doesn't care, he doesn't report. Same way getting constantly negged and flaming works. Some people don't care thus it doesn't get reported

Or do you mean someone who just goes around disliking everyone's posts? You can still see their recent ratings right? I can view yours for example

I get what you mean about it not being reported in the first place though :hm

But this is a digression; my whole point is the rating system is in place to express your feelings on a post, to disable all negative ratings is the epitome of this safe space shit - regardless of the actual intent behind it

You [whomever disabled] opted to inhibit the freedom of expression of users in favour of dealing with the nuisance of people abusing the system?

Do I have that right?

7. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

@aiyanah Because, in general, the response was "It's just internet ratings, who cares." Beta was the only one I saw get scolded for it.

Which makes everything so hilariously ironic.

8. aiyanah finesse

so staff cant actually view the ratings received window of a user, only their recent activity which includes everything
    ok
    the correct move now is to empower the report button

9. aiyanah finesse

or for bitching about dislikes?

10. Vino

11. Freechoice Freechoice

Someone on here found an exploit that enables instant ratings in the thousands, who in turn used it against beta to give him something like 5000 dislikes and 2000 disagrees

:catskully

12. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

Yeah but Xiammes just said if you report someone for abusing the ratings system, how are they going to know if they don't check literally every post?

He bitched about dislikes because he got spammed with them, tried to retaliate, got scolded.

13. Xiammes Well-Known Member Super Moderator

If its not reported, we won't likely find out about it. Its funny, ratings are public but rep is easier to monitor as a whole. I know people think we have bloated staff, but most sections only have 1 or 2 active staff members, meaning a lot of things do slip by.

Where are you viewing others recent ratings? Do you mean recent activity? That gets muddled up by all activity, but I did forget this was a thing.

We have not disabled all negative ratings, the ratings that exist for no other reason then to lob a insult at each other were scrapped. Dislike and Disagree were kept afterall.

Dumb - I think this one is clearly obvious why its gone
    Old - What purpose does this have at all then to try and demean someone?
    Bad spelling - I am iffy on this one,its not 100% negative, but its primarily going to be used to insult someone.

14. Aphrodite Global Moderator

We can only check ratings the same way freechoice checked it. Which only goes back so far.

15. Aphrodite Global Moderator

Also like Xiammes said not only ratings are checked there but also other things so it can make checking ratings a little hard.

16. Law Godfather Moderator

I think 'old' would generally be used to let someone know their news isn't news or their joke has been told a hundred times.

That one I'm just 'meh' on. But overall, I back Xiammes completely.

There's no need for pure negativity in ratings. The only purpose it serves is to be nasty, and you guys are already good enough at that the old-fashioned way. We don't need it in ratings form.

17. aiyanah finesse

see why its been turned off but why cant staff view ratings received/given?

18. Law Godfather Moderator

Can't say for sure, but I feel comfortable blaming it on mbxx. *shrug*

19. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

>Dislike isn't negative

ok

20. Xiammes Well-Known Member Super Moderator

No one said it isn't, its not the same as calling a post dumb.

21. Freechoice Freechoice

Dislike is used as a substitute for dumb now though. If I see a post I would, if possible, label as dumb, I dislike it instead. I'm sure many others do too.

Disabling them doesn't really change anything except obfuscate the intention behind ratings. :ufdup

Though arguing in favour of bringing back the dumb rating is pointless, even someone as daft as myself can see that. I can disagree with it until I'm blue in the face, it appears you and likely the admins are pretty concrete in keeping it disabled :catprone

Old and Bad Spelling however, come on at least bring these back. They have a purpose.

I'd use old for people repeating a joke, or talking about something that has been talked about before many times, an old overused meme, old news etc

Bad Spelling? Consider it constructive criticism, it's certainly not an insult. As you said, dumb was scrapped because it exists for no other reason other than to lob an insult. Bad Spelling isn't insulting, especially if it's factual

It can also help someone realise they made an error in their post

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  22. Freechoice Freechoice

Could you also clarify whether there was an internal discussion or if it was just an admin deciding on his own volition?

If so who and why did they keep the ratings in the Blender

keeping them there makes me think they were disabled in order to stop people whining about being dumb'd constantly, and considering people in the blender don't care/are all pseudo friends they won't care hence it was kept there

23. Aphrodite Global Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  24. Aphrodite Global Moderator

Going to see if we can reach a compromise on something but i wouldn't hold your breath on the dumb rating coming back.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  25. Mider T VM Rapist

Bad spelling.

OMG, MIDER IS SO MEAN, SOMEONE BAN THIS GUY BEFORE MASS FEELINGS ARE HURT.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  26. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

Or calling a post Old, right?

I mean, that's basically like calling someone a nigger, yeah?

27. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

Actually I'm not sure about the first one - the Blender DOES have loser rules.

28. Xiammes Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Thats fine, Optimistic and winner are low key insults as well, but taken as just by themselves they aren't.

Yeah, I don't like to put my foot down and say "no thats not happening", but that's probably not going to happen.

I've probably moved over to meh on old, still iffy on bad spelling. I'll probably wait for some more opinions on those.

Realize*

29. Aphrodite Global Moderator

Thats more like bad grammar not bad spelling but i will keep using your till the end of time. :hehee

30. Pharah 「 Fly Casual 」

Wait, is saying that too harsh? Implying someone is a loser? I don't want to get in trouble for essentially calling someone a Nazi.