1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Extraordinary Life Experiences

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by Lord Valgaav, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Has anything ever happened to you guys that was totally out of the ordinary, strange, crazy, or spectacular?

Maybe you had a random 1on1 experience with a celebrity? Or maybe you discovered some secret underground room? Died and came back to life? Please share you stories here.

As for me, my life was saved by a cat.

Back when I was around 5yo, my older sister and I along with a few of our cousins were playing in our grand-uncle's front yard one day. In his neighborhood there was this huge black dog named Butch that often roamed around chasing people on bikes, cats, walkers, etc.

Well on this particular day he found us and came into the yard. We all got scared and ran into the house, but being that I was the youngest and smallest, I was last. And unfortunately they had closed the front door and locked it leaving me out. Butch was excited by us running and chased after me. I ran around the house at least three times before I finally tripped and fell. Butch stopped running and slowly walked up on me growling.

Then shockingly, this stray cat named Blacky who my grand-uncle cared for jumped out from a nearby bush and jumped on Butch's face. She clawed him pretty good which allowed time for my uncle to come out and finally scare the dog away.

And to this day I'm eternally grateful to cats. :supercat

Tags:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Mider T VM Zombie

Quite a few things, can't think of any atm though.

3. Virus Well-Known Member

Me and my brother were almost kidnapped as kids (8-9 yrs). We were living in Albania during a period where organ trading was quite common back then. We were walking down the street and a red van (u know those vans with no windows at the rear compartment) stopped close to the pavement. Out from the back of the van came out a man who told us to hop in and go meet our cousin ’Ben’. But fortunately we didn’t approach him even though he maintained to tell us that he knew our cousin and that he wanted to see us. When he saw that we didn’t approach but in fact distanced, they then left.

I am so glad that we both were reserved as kids and that my parents had teached us to never trust strangers.

4. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

You two got lucky. A lot of kidnappers are more hostile than that. :catfright

5. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

You two got lucky. A lot of kidnappers are more hostile than that. :catfright

6. Mider T VM Zombie

Well now you'll never see your cousin Ben, nice going.:apathy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. DemonDragonJ The Man

When I was much younger, on Christmas Eve, many years, ago, my family was at my grandparents' house, as we always were and still are. My brother and I are the only two family members in our age demographic on my mother's side of our family, and, because we were very young at that time, the only people we had to interact with were each other.

I eventually grew bored, so I put on my winter clothing and went outside. There was snow outside, and it was deep, at least to me, at that age. Behind my grandparents' house is a forest, and in that forest is a swamp, which was frozen at that time. I cannot recall why I did it, but I walked across that swamp, knowing fully well that it was a swamp, and the ice gave way beneath me.

The water was terribly cold, and I fell in it, up to my neck; I was able to keep my head and arms out of the water, which was very fortunate, because I may not have survived if they had fallen in. Understandably, I was panicking, but I was eventually able to pull myself from the water and I ran back to my grandparents' house, where I related my story to everyone. Obviously, they were worried, but were glad that I was safe and unharmed.

The worst part of this story is that I did not tell anyone that I had gone outside, so, if I had drowned, they may never have found my body, or learned what had happened to me, a possibility that horrifies me utterly.

8. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    Hmmm nothing spectacular, but I guess something noteworthy would be that I met two of the three voice characters I admired.

9. Azure Ihrat Thresher Retired Staff

I ate butterfish and shit myself in a computer games design course and NOBODY NOTICED

but i had to throw away my underwear at school etc

(I have had an interesting life but nothing happened that I would say is extraordinary, apart from the dream I had where I was everything)

10. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

11. Harmonie Crazy Woodwind Lady

The story of how I came to switch to playing the oboe and went back to college is full of some odd coincidences, one major. I'm extremely longwinded, but I really have to give every detail here just to show how strange it all is. I'll spoiler it because it is so long.

Spoiler:
    I'll start back further than I usually do to give more context. Several years ago I had dropped out the university I was attending. I was not good enough, I'll just put it that way. I had given up on ever going back to school and pretty much on taking playing music seriously ever again. I resigned myself to a job with a shift I really despised, just because I had friends there. Anyway, further signifying me having given up on music was me deciding to 'complete' my most-wanted instrument list (the ones in my signature, which have been that way since long before I joined these forums) with buying an oboe. In college I had told myself I would focus on bassoon and only learn the oboe after I graduated. It was the least I could do!

That same year my ex and I had reconnected, and she was a member of a community orchestra who needed another bassoon player. I decided to join, mainly to get close to her... Lets me honest. That reconnection fell through, but thankfully, that is irrelevant to the rest of this story. In that orchestra, I had met and talked to the lead oboist, initially having her help me a little bit. However, shortly thereafter (probably feeling burned out from my job) I dropped it, stopped attempting to learn whatsoever.

A couple of years later, my interest in music was kind of rekindled. I stumbled upon a YouTuber who recorded covers of video game OSTs with live woodwinds and she was really amazing. I (underestimating the task) wanted to be just like her. I had amassed a collection of brass and woodwind instruments, and thought that maybe recording was for me (I have issues with live performance because my brain is inconsistent, even if I practice - recording could alleviate that). Eventually, her amazing skill on oboe/English horn really gravitated me toward learning the oboe in specific. However, it was just supposed to be one instrument for me, not a main or anything.

I ran into issues trying to self learn, because of course I did. Oboe is ridiculous! Still a member of the aforementioned community orchestra, I decided to go ask the lead oboist what might be going wrong for me. She told me it was the reed, and she mentioned that she had a relative that made reeds. That fact alone shocked me - what are the odds of that alone? So... I got in contact with this relative and went to her house to get some reeds that would hopefully work. I found out that she was a professional and teaches. Very quickly I made the decision that I would take lessons from her. She turned out to be both an incredible instructor and person. I couldn't tell her the real surface reason that I was learning the oboe. I was embarrassed about that. She ended up breaking me down and getting me to admit that what I really wanted was to return to college and go into musicology. From then on she made sure that I would return to college, finding me one and really shifting my still broken from the previous university musical heart to think about such things again... Perform solo in front of people and audition.

Eventually I realized that it had to be oboe that I would go back to college on. Yes, the instrument that signified that I was done with taking music seriously and going back to school for music became THE instrument that got me back into both. But that isn't the kicker, that isn't the big coincidence that happened here. Nor is the lead oboist knowing my future teacher, nor the fact that me trying to get close to my ex ended up really jump starting all of this...

One day when I was at the instructor's house for a lesson, I glanced up at her wall and my mind finally took note of exactly what university she graduated from. It was one all of the way across the country. However, for some reason it struck a chord with me... No pun intended. I thought that maybe it was similar to the name of a university I had seen somewhere before very recently. Incidentally I had just been on the website for the aforementioned YouTuber who had inspired me to get back into music and learn the oboe. But I didn't think there was any way this could be. She lives far away from the university and far away from where my teacher and I live, as well. But after double, triple checking... It was indeed true that both of them went to the same university, and I come to find out that it was the same time, and they know each other personally and played together. My mind was so blown by this fact that I literally almost fell off of my computer chair when I confirmed it.

One time in my lessons my teacher had asked me if there were any oboists that I looked up to, and I couldn't quite bring myself to say that it was a YouTuber who did video game covers. (To be fair, she is a professional who plays in several professional orchestras, and she is a great professional, so of course her recordings are amazing even when she isn't playing classical literature!). To think that if I had actually told my teacher, she probably would have inquired who specifically I was talking about (or maybe I would have just said her real name to begin with) and the realization would have come right there in the middle of that lesson.

So... Yeah, that all happened. At that moment, I felt like I was in a fictional story. The two individuals - despite playing a relatively uncommon instrument (trust me, that doesn't mean one thing in a world - or even country - this big) - had no relation whatsoever in my mind. Especially since they both live so far apart from each other and the university they attended. It's like fate. But I know better than to believe in fate. Perhaps it's more beautiful that something like this can just happen.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List