1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Mangaka style

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by soto-kun, Dec 29, 2004.

1. soto-kun

Discuss anything in general about your favorite animator (their anime manga ect.)

Tags:
  2. LMiTbR8Kr4O02

my favs wwould be Kishimoto of course and rumiko t....(forgot his other name) hes the creator of ranma 1/2

3. Blue Retired Staff

Kishimoto is a wonderfully creative and amazing man...but his art style sucks, and he needs five assistants to do his work. Lame.
    My favorites are without a doubt Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion, Nadia, .Hack) and Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin, Armored Alchemist).
    They are both Hokages of manga art, and they have more skill then I could ever hope to have if I lived three more lifetimes. Maybe four. The subtle details in their drawings never cease to amaze me, and any attempt of mine to replicate them comes out pathetic, and I'm a master of copying art styles (now if only I could get my own style down.)

Also, the creator of Ranma 1/2 was a woman. She also sucked.

Edit: Sucked is too strong a word. Let's say their style was overly simplistic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  4. kevin77

I like Akira Toriyama. Not only he illustrated DBZ, but he is also the one who designed the characters in Chrono Trigger.

And i personally find Ranma 1/2 pretty well drawn.

Good thing about Kishimoto is that most characters don't look alike. (when u watch animes like Akira for example, it becomes quite annoying how similar everyone look...)

5. Itachi_like_to_kill

I like Slam Dunk Manga And Samurai Deeper Kyo and for the illustrator is Fumiya Sato the creator of detective Kindaichi and detective Q and Aoyama Gosho(Detective Conan and Yaiba).

6. Rurouni

I like the way Toriyama, Kishimoto, Nobuhiro Watsuki, Kazuya Minekura (Saiyuki), and the one that did Prince of Tennis, drew the characters.

7. Itachi_like_to_kill

Did u mean Rumiko Takahashi

8. kyubinaruto75

masashi kishimoto. i liked clamp but... there characters looks so similar its sometimes hard to tell apart o.O and the author of rebound. nice drawing!! so detailed so realistic. especially the hair. will scan in some pics frommy manga when i have time. i also like eiichiro oda. came up with his own style since he didnt apprentice to any manga-kas

9. ShinyHair

Rumiko Takashi is a girl isn't she???

10. abfluvver

Kaori Yuki.
    I know she's a huge drama queen and mean to a lot of her fans (and is basically the manga world's Anne Rice), but her art is so stunning, and I love her stories. They're so twisted and bizarre. Her work on "Boys Next Door" is the only manga to ever make me cry.

11. pakku

Obata Takeshi and Kohta Hirano.

12. kyubinaruto75

sawamura... isnt he hot? ::drool::

a page from volume 1

my scanner messsed up

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  13. mary no jutsu

yu watase she draws some hot guys. who can't deny the hotness of tasuke,tamahome, and kyou

14. fuzzyfourears

Yes, Rumiko Takahashi is a woman. ^^

Gomen that I don't know the artists' name, but I think the artwork of Fruits Basket is beautiful. :)

15. Code

Akira Toriyama who did Dragonball, Dr. Slump, etc... and does the art work for a some video games such as Chrono Trigger and the upcoming DragonQuest 8. He also influenced many other great manga authors.

Echiiro Oda. Author of One Piece(currently #1 manga in Japan) and also did some One Shots such as Wanted. Series are funny and very unpredictable with a great cast of characters regardless of wether you hate them or not.

Takehiko Inoue who did Slam Dunk(#1 Sports Manga), REAL, and Vagabond.

16. Kagehisa

Hiroaki Samura, of Mugen no Jyuunin (Blade of the Immortal).
    His art is so realistic , and he draws original characters.
    I'll post some pictures to show.

17. ch1x012711

Kaori Yuki for me...I just love her style and her stories....all very...I guess....you can call it dark....hmmm...maybe...After her would be Mineko Ohkami...Idon't care if I spelled that wrong cause I am waaay too lazy to check...

18. dbcomix

masashi kishimoto,ken akamatsu,rumiko takahashi.........top three...

19. Kagehisa

Blade of the Immortal goodness !

20. dbcomix

that looks like sasuke :laugh

21. Ryu

Yuu Watase, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Kaori Yuki, Nobuhiro Watsuki and Akimine Kamijyo :D

22. ch1x012711

Kaori Yuki, Mineko Okhami, and that's it for now....

23. udonluvr

My favorites would have to be CLAMP, Masashi Kishimoto, and Natsuki Takaya.

24. Axass

Akira Toriyama, originality should be his second name.

Kentaro Miura, (Berserk) unbelievable detail, he's great (he's also lazy...).

Eiichiro Oda & Kishimoto, both (they're also friends) inspired by Toriyama's artwork, still theirs is very original and beautiful.

25. Messages:
    Samura Hiroaki (Blade of the Immortal). His style is very different from other mangaka. It's more like he's trying to make his pictures seem as close to real life as possible. It's amazing.

Chen Mou/Chan Mau (The Ravages of Time). His style is not like that of Japanese manga. I would call it "distinctly Chinese", however, I have yet to see any other Chinese mangaka use it. It's almost like Samura's style, but much more simplified with clean lines.

Kamijo Akimine (Samurai Deeper Kyo). I can't describe exactly what I like about his style, but I love it. I could, however, do without the fanservice and the stacked women complaining about how small their breasts are.

Minekura Kazuya (Saiyuki). It's like the "typical" manga style, but different. All her people are beautiful in their own way. She doesn't shy away from blood and nudity, but she doesn't wallow in it either.

Chrono Nanae (Peacemaker Kurogane). I love they way she makes he characters age. It's a subtle process. She also, like Minekura, draws very beautiful people and doesn't wallow in blood and nudity.

All in all I like "mature" mangaka (with the exception of Kamijo) who have a different style from the rest.

In regards to Takahashi Rumiko, as much as I love Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, I don't think art is her strong point. Actually, even story wise I think she draws things out too long and milks her successful series for all they're worth.

26. Yanagi

I love Kazuya Minekura and Hiroka Samura. Shou Tajima (MPD Psycho--also did the character designs for the animation sequence in Kill Bill) and Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note) also have an interesting style. For a purely animation designer, I'd go for Nobuteru Yuuki (Escaflowne: Girl in Gaea, Shamanic Princess). The art flows so nicely.

27. LMiTbR8Kr4O02

OMG i had no idea!!

28. LMP

Kazusa Takashima, Kazuya Minekura, Kouga Yun, whoever drew Cafe Kichijyouji and too much more T_T

29. Orihime

Favorite mangakas/artist are Hiroyuki Asada (I'll / CKBC), Kubo Tite (Bleach, Zombie Powder), Sho-u Tajima (MPD Psycho), Murata Yuusuke (Eyeshield 21)... :3 Oda Eiichiro (One Piece [I love his color illustrations... cause they are SO colorful]). :BBBB

30. MechaTC

Ken Akamatsu's style has yet to be topped by anyone. His character designs are just so clean and amazing. I can't get over it. CLAMP is interesting as well. Yuji Shiozaki of the series "Battle Vixens" probably has the hottest females ever :laugh. Yusuke Ken is also good (does Junk Force).