1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Female Leaders in a Men's dominated world

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Leen, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Leen Peacemaker

I look through the search thingy and this place so there's nothing about this.

Is a female leader good enough in handling a country? How good are them actually compare to male leaders? We have Merkel, Germany's chancellor, Arroyo Filipina's president, Helen Clark, NZ's prime minister, Margaret former UK's..u know her.. and a few more.

Just how good is women compare to men in politics? Do u prefer to be ruled by male leaders or female leaders? Who make better decision?

Go on and discuss, debate about it.

Tags:
  2. martryn Dick in hand

I think I would prefer male leadership because I get the feeling that they are stronger. Not that they are, but its a comfort thing. I want to be able to say my leader can kick your leader's ass, and I can't say that about most female leaders against most male ones. But, if a hard core chick comes along that doesn't take any shit, then I'd think she'd be just as capable.

3. Zhongda Active Member

Woman are generally taken less seriously then men are.
    Woman (especially in politics) have to make sure that their body language does not give any kind of signal.
    In body language woman smiling is a sign of submission. Their legs crossed is a sign of shuting them selves out, it can also (if a little skin is shown) divert the mans attention leading to her not being taken as seriously. Same thig with breasts.

Men have less things to worry about with body language, things like the hand shake and how to sit down etc.

The only female leader i find to have overcome all these problems is Margeret Thatcher.

i recomend u read a book caled "the definative book to body language"

Iam not saying Politics for woman is wrong, iam sayig it's harder!
    True female leaders are really somthing.

4. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

as long as they can seperate pms from their job.

5. Noex Member No. 4154

2nd to that, its nothing wrong or so but they must think about loads of stuff besides politics :laugh

6. L.O. Member

i don't care whether my leader is a female or a male.
    i think a woman can handle a country as well as a man can.
    for a woman it's much harder, not just because of body language.
    quite a few people got used to a man as the leader and, because of that, don't accept a woman as a leader

7. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

it doesn't matter really. If the women can convince the public with her intelligence and wisdom then she will be loved just like a man with that position.

8. Noex Member No. 4154

Well men and women aren?t equal in all places yet but it is turning but its slow.

9. Leen Peacemaker

How slow is it?? Maybe in another century, decade, year, month? Well female are definetely getting more equality now but in politic, it's still being dominated by male. I wonder how will a man feels being a president's husband. Will he feel inferior?:laugh

10. Dark Schneider The Ruler of the Universe

Hey now, don't forget Golda Mier ( the first female PM of Isreal), the second female leader in the world. That woman was considered to be the "only male in the room" by her collegues.

11. hesd Anomic.

I think sex isn't a significant explanatory variable in determining leadership patterns. More important are the existing socio-economic situations when the female president held the rein of power. Well, Arroyo studied in Harvard College of Economics but look at the situation of the Philippines. Actually, the problem does not reside in the Philipines exclusively. The country is being haunted by a hegemon (I trust you know my referent). Because of the huge external debts of the Philippines, it can't but oblige to the will of the hegemon--ecnomically and politically. Else, IMF-WB will withraw their financial assistance to the country.

I think even a male president can't outshine the hegemon on the international politico-economic stage.

12. Jonas Banned

I don't know. Ask Finland.
    -------------------------

If women would make the world a better place i'd definatly vote for em'. (As long as they don't have anything against men).

13. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Honestly what does their gender matter? The only valid point I've seen against it is how they will be perceived as leaders, some people will perceive them as weaker than male leaders, but that doesn't mean anything, there are a lot of qualities in male leaders that sometimes cause them to be seen as "weaker". That doesn't mean they are weak, there are a lot of strong women out there.

So essentially women will possibly have a harder time in politics then a man would, but they need to be there, women need to have part in running things.

14. Nemesis The Sith Lord Moderator

Gender doesn't matter to me. Its all about if the person elected can do the job or not. No matter what sex or race they are from. Women i don't think make weaker leaders either. I mean Thatcher was most prob are strongest leader since churchill in WW2, they may have a harder time convincing the public but at the same time they are just as capable as men to lead nations.

15. Razgriez Banned

Gender doesnt bother me. If a woman is incharge Im fine as long as she is a good one. I dont judge by sex only by how well I think they do the job.

16. batanga 6 1 15-45 300

I have no problems with it, as long as she gets her job done.

And, yeah, our president is a woman and I´ve never heard anything negative of her.

17. Leen Peacemaker

Maybe it's just me but I found a lot of people in my place that doubts a woman's ability to rule. According to them, there's just too many things women cant do as well as men. Women are more emo, cant make right decision, cant be strict.....etc..

Finland's president is a woman??? :omg I dont know that!!!!!!!! What's her name??

18. The Space Cowboy Unfair, Unjust, Human

Honestly, I think whether a female leader is better or the same or worse than a male leader is entirely situational and depends on the person you're talking about.

19. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

Their president isn't really a woman. She's just Connan O'brian in disguise.

20. Kamendex Retired from Forum

Your never gonna see a girly pretty girl up there though, its all lesbian looking women running for office o.o

21. Kitty kbw

Ha! No. It's pathetic, fucked humor like this that inhibits aspiring women from actually gaining public office. Why can't we just view a woman as another human being seeking a leadership role as opposed to trying to masculinize her or poke at her looks? Why does it matter?

The central reason women aren't gaining public office at a rate that mirrors their male counterparts is because there are fewer women actively seeking office, societal prejudices discourage women from seeking office, many people are genuinely uncomfortable seeing women in control, and it's kind of difficult to reverse centuries of ingrained sexism.

The problem that needs to be addressed first is the lack of interest among women in actually getting leadership roles. Women, in general seem to have less interest in politics than men. Single women had the lowest voter turnout in '04! That's tragic. We won't make progress if our base isn't energized. Which is why we need to stab Ann Coulter.

And of course, there's this perception that women are inherently weaker and less capable of being effective leaders because of a biological tendency to be emotional. Besides from this not being true, why is this a bad thing? And why is it that women who display stereotypically masculine traits more likely to gain public office than one wearing lipstick and heels?

Because effeminacy is weakness?​

22. baconbits SSL or nothing Retired Staff

Don't take such humor so personal, lol! People make fun of both men and women according to their looks.

I think this is really the main reason. First of all, people need to realize that most women just don't take leadership as often as men. Its not because of society, its because of the nature of most women. Look at any class in the participation area and more men volunteer, more men call talk shows, more men write newspapers. Are women less leaders or less qualified or less intelligent? No, but it seems that most women tend to not aim for leadership roles.

If what you say is true then saying humorous attacks on Ann Coulter should be eliminated from your posts. Ann Coulter participates, she takes leadership, she's interested in politics, and she says her opinions boldly. It seems that rather than wanting women to be powerful you want them to be liberal.

Mainly because emotionalism gets in the way of rational decision making. I don't know whether women are more emotional or not, but if they are perceived that way then it does make sense that they would be harder to elect.

23. abfluvver stray dog

I believe the attack on Coulter was because she has said that women should not be involved in politics on numerous occassions.

24. baconbits SSL or nothing Retired Staff

Hmm... was she really advocating this or was she making an attack on liberal women she disagreed with? I like Ann Coulter a lot (obviously since I'm a right-winger lol) so I'd really like to see some kind of proof before I believe it.

25. abfluvver stray dog

I have never met anyone, including right-wingers, who have liked Ann Coulter before. Congratulations on being the first. All my conservative friends have always reassured me that she was a joke to both sides.

From .

I'm trying to find her quote on women in politics, but there are a lot to sift through and it'll be quite a feat if I succeed. Her stance on voting pretty much covers it, though.

26. chauronity ビリーバット

Her name is "Tarja Halonen" , and she indeed has been the best president of these modern times... i cant remember anything bad or things like that happened.

*edit*

gosh... i'm late.

27. Anax Ονειροβάμων

Ok, I don't have anything to back what I'm saying but my word, and since I have no rep that's questionable... Worse yet, what I'm about to say was conveyed from my mother, whom I trust... on maintaining the juice of the issue at least.
    So, a part of scientists were conducting research on the behavioral patterns of men and women in cetain positions. The one my mother told me about was the position of a telephone operator at the centrals of a fire brigade department.
    Now, a certain person was used to test the reaction of men and women, they would pretend to be genuinely panicked and shocked from all that's happening and continuously try to interrupt the others person's chain of thought with their panicked blabbering. So, most female opperators did get distracted and said things like "is everyone ok? anyone hurt? you might want to put some water on them" or something like that (can't remember). Men, on the other hand where sticking to the procedure, breaking the panicking person's chain of thought and trying to keep them sane in doing what needs be done fast or else everyone would die. The men tried to forcefully in a way that would "wake" up the person and have them go out of the house immediately, whereas women wasted time in sympathising with the people and trying to make them feel better (whereas if they didn't do something fast they'd end up being bbq). Generally, men where less affected by the other personal emotional state, rather than the danger at hand.

It seems that men and women have specialties whether people want to admit it or not. It is my opinion that the only problem of women being in power (e.g. generals in the army) is the society not having fully accepted them in that role. People will often offend such a woman's femininity. Not that I have seen a feminine woman in power, though this could be a sacrifice one has to make so as for her orders to be followed.
    Personally, and since army is mandatory in Greece, I'm blatantly saying that should I serve under a woman, I'd expect her to be kinder and softer than men officers. Should she not be, I'd secretly speak against her femininity along with other unhappy soldiers. Why? Because I was raised in this here world, in this here century (ok, the past too) so I'd be genuinely weirded out.
    I'ts common secret than when kids make some domestic damage they run to tell their mom so she can soothe their dad...
    I think that my attempt at being serious will get me a sack of rotten tomatoes in the face, so let me clear to all the ladies that I in no way see them as inferior to men, the key words is different a difference which often determines where each one is best fitted for.
    Also, where I come from most girls are not at all interested in videogames, manga or the likes which leaves me with little to no chances of meeting a neat (=nice + beautiful) girl at a net cafe. Girls should realize that what they do and don't is their choice! As we say in Greece the road is open and the dogs leashed ^_^

28. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

:rofl Do you honestly think I was "trying to masculinize her?" It wouldn't matter if she was a man, if anyone bared such a striking resemblence to another famous celebrity, especially one as funny looking as Connin, it'd be humorous.

Actually it kind of is. However, they probably dont wear high heals and a lot of makeup because vainity and materialism are flaws. Why would a polition like to wear heels? They are impractical and serve only one purpose, to look pretty. If a politition is more concerned with public perception than practicality its a bad thing. It is rather hypocritical for a contry who sided with Kennedy over Nixon at least partially because Nixon looked bad on camera to have this view on politions who wear high heals, but the view itself is sound.​