1. Introducing Theme of The Week
    Click here to learn more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Forum Skins Contest - Winners: Trinity & Misao

Discussion in 'Art Contests and Competitions' started by ane, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ane Advisor

I'm thinking of having a new contest in the section for skins. Custom skins have been a thing in the forum for a while now and it's a different contest from the ones we have at the moment.

It would consist in creating a different skin using Stylish, as the ones we have in . The contestants would have to modify the colour scheme and provide a banner and icons to use in it.

My idea still has rough edges that need to be polished but my ideas so far are:
    - The contest will run for a month or so. That way many people can take part. Voting will take place during a week or two (my idea is ten days)
    - I can make it either so people take part on their own or it is a collaboration and we have teams of two persons working in the same skin
    - The skin itself and the banner must be original and made by the contestant (one member of the team in case it's two persons). Still not sure about icons and other modifications, but initially I don't have a problem if those are taken from an old skin, as long as it's credited
    - The skins that will take part in the contest must be new, nothing that was made three years ago could take place. I want to get new skins out of this contest, no reposts of old ones
    - Of course, there will be a prize for the winner. If this gets enough participation, I can give a prize for runner-up as well

And the most interesting part. I've got admins approval so the winning skin would be uploaded as a default forum skin

So are any of you guys interested? Any comments?

Tags:
  2. ℛei ( ༎ຶ෴༎ຶ)♥(ㅎ_ㅎ )

i never tried make skins

but maybe i'll try :yayat least i can make a banner

3. Olivia "Active" Member

Of course this happens [two days] after I create my Satsuki skins. :tomasulk

I'll maybe be able to make something half as good. :(

4. Zhariel Awful

Ever since Dream and I started the custom skins, we've had some very talented members make some gorgeous contributions. I really hope to see this take off. It's not as tough as you may think, once you knock out your first skin, you'll probably get a bit addicted to it.

Best of luck to everyone. You'll be making something every member has a chance to enjoy.

5. Dream fallen prince Supporting Staff

Also, please do use official fan-art or have the permission of the creator(s) of any fan-art(s) you use in your banner.

6. Bioness In the Wired

I knew I should have paid more attention to skin making class :tomasulk And banner making class :tomasulk and learning how to do something other than crop in photoshop class :tomasulk

7. Monark Underappreciated

so Dream sent me the xml of the ryuuko skin as a template for my JJBA skin project, but it looks like the satsuki skin is just an edit of that, so i will probably be using it as my template.

the color palette, banner, and icons will all be different, of course. i'll only be using the layout, since i have zero CSS experience.

i hope that's alright with you.

also, please don't make this a contest.

it should be an open invitation for people to submit candidates for new skins, pending admin approval.

8. Bioness In the Wired

So Admins can play favorites like with the smilies? Yeah, no.

9. Olivia "Active" Member

Yeah that'd be fine. Thanks for asking. :)

10. Zhariel Awful

Sadly, I can't imagine that happening. And if it did, would be done with the speed of a government employee. We have a way for custom skins to be applied easily, so we sort of skip over the admins.

11. ane Advisor

I'm sorry, Olivia. Bad timing it seems, but you still have a lot of time to work in something new :/

I only thought of having it as a contest. We already have a Custom Skins project going on in the Resort after all. If this is successful I will think of making it a regular event.

And yes, this is definitely a must. All art used in the banner or any other icon must either be official or you must have permission of the artist. It is going to be public use after all.

12. Monark Underappreciated

"bad timing" has nothing to do with it if an admin (dream) has already okay'd a project/provided a template and guidelines, and I have begun working on said project, only to have other staff members turn around and say sorry, no dice.

13. Olivia "Active" Member

When you say official, you mean artwork that the company [of the medium] itself has released? Sounds fine. :)

EDIT: but to clarify, we can edit those images, correct?

14. Monark Underappreciated

any application of source "official" artwork in a new setting is technically an edit of said source.

so yes, that is fine.

15. ane Advisor

You can't blame Dream for this as I didn't ask them until a pair days ago. But if Olivia's entry follows the rest of the rules I can make an exception for it. Anyway, I will make an official entries thread this week.

Yep, that's what I meant with official. Edit all you want as long as you use them as source :hurr

16. Monark Underappreciated

i was referring to my own project, ane, but whatever.

if i'm forced to compete in this contest, then so be it.

the only reservation i have is that i started my project with the understanding that i would finish it and submit it when i have the time to do so. a contest like this will force me to finish it quickly. i'm not entirely sure that is fair.

but it is your decision, i guess...

17. ane Advisor

I never heard a thing about any skin you were working on and asked Dream to upload so I wasn't talking of that. This is a different project. You are allowed to enter if you want to.

I didn't set a time yet for the contest. I said a month but if you want a different time we can still talk about it. That's one of the reasons I made this thread first, to see what guidelines I should set for the contest.

18. Monark Underappreciated

i'm just going to keep working on this thing like i have been, and whatever happens, happens.

19. Sanity Check banned

I'm interested & might participate if this happens.

I am busy, though. There's a chance I might not have time to submit something.

:WOW

20. ane Advisor

Contest is officially open and it will last six weeks :yay

I made a thread for submissions :

21. Trinity Astra inclinant Administrator

curious as to what this is? are the entries separate? i'm not sure what's happening here

22. ane Advisor

Every person can take part in a maximum of three skins. They are not separate but I didn't want to limit it to just one skin per person either, especially since teams are allowed :/

23. Sanity Check banned

:WOW

24. ane Advisor

May 26 :33

25. Monark Underappreciated

every time i open photoshop to try and work on this thing, i blank out.

it is very frustrating.

26. Misao banned

i too have the very same problem in majority of things i usually do in ps lately, and it is frustrating

but i'd recommend having some sort of theme in mind (if you don't have one that is)

would you settle for a more elaborated approach?
    mild?
    or perhaps minimal?

font type you're aiming for etc.

and then start sculpting your theme having that as reference

you can still get in touch with color palettes as well:

27. Monark Underappreciated

i've done two different versions and i like neither of them.

first was minimal, second was too much.

hopefully the third one will be the right one.

28. ane Advisor

A month to go :canttouchthis

29. Trinity Astra inclinant Administrator

i'm wanting to get extremely fancy but i forget we don't have such things for extra coding and miscellaneous things to spiffy up the forum skin :(

one thing that intrigues me is the google fonts

does anyone know how to plant the google font code in the skin so they're usable?

30. Olivia "Active" Member

So if the skin I'm creating looks visually (in terms of color) similar to a skin I recently created is that all right? I keep trying to switch up the colors but this looks the best to me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.