1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Fuuton: Rasenshuriken - overrated

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Shinkirou, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

I've recently realized, just how overrated the FRS truly is. Alot of people seem to think that its the end all, beat all jutsu, that cant be beaten, and cant be escaped. Wrong, wrong, so very wrong. It has really good destructive power when applied on the ground, and trees, and the surrounding evironment, but is it really that effective to use against people?

First, lets look at the startup for it. Everytime Naruto has used the FRS, he's always been standing still, and that alone screams to me, "GIMME A SEC, I'MMA CHARGIN MAH LAZERS!!!" Which should be an invitation to bypass any clones he tried to set up for defense and kill him mid charge. Second thing is, he needs 2 clones. This ones not so bad since he makes clones left and right anyways, though it could get a bit problematic if his opponent is fast enough, and has jutsu with enough AoE to hamper his clone dropping. All in all, that startup isn't that good, but its also not horrible.

Now lets check out how it works, what makes it dangerous, etc. So, what about it hurts? Well obviously the most painful/deadly aspect of the jutsu is the wind needles that scrample the cells and the chakra system of whats hit by it. But how much range do the needles have? The answer seems to be, not much. From what it looks like, anything not hit directly with it, wont be hit nearly as badly. Naruto, who was really close to Kakuzu at the time wind needles took effect, was only hit with needles on the arm he used hit Kakuzu with it before being tossed out of the radius of the attack. That being said, the needles seem to only hit whats in an arms reach of the impact point, maybe a little bit more, so anything outside of an arms reach of it when it goes off, should merely be thrown out of the attack, which would cause considerably less damage. As for what actually gets hit with it, they seem to get trapped in the center of the attack, maybe even lifted up a bit by the forceful winds caused by it.

The after effects of the jutsu? Well cuurently, seeing as how Naruto has to hand deliver it, he'll always be hit with the most lethal part of the attack unless he has his clones do it for him. As for the enemy, if they can avoid getting hit with it, they'll probably be in just as good, if not better condition than naruto, if he's the one to use it. If they get hit however, they're dead. Simple as that, they're dead. Unless they have some sort of extremely advanced healing method, the chances of someone surviving a direct hit, are slim to none.

Alright, now what could possibly counter such a technique? Surprisingly, a simple kawarimi would be one of the most effective counters to this jutsu. Not only would the person using it be able to safely avoid damage from the FRS, Naruto(if he's the one using it and not a clone), will most likely be out of the fight then and there since he'd still be taking a little bit of the damage from it. With the chakra system of his arm screwed up, the likely hood of him being able to successfully perform any thing fight ending is drastically reduced. Another counter would be some sort of solid clone, whether it be a shadow clone, a water clone, or one of Orochimarus mud clones. The result of this would be the same as a kawarimi.

All in all, even though this is one really kick ass jutsu, its not the end all, beat all jutsu, as I've already said. Its just as risky for Naruto, as it is for the enemy, so this jutsu could easily make, or break the fight for him.

Tags:
  2. Nakiro Narutimate Hero

You say what you want, although anyone that gets into contact with it is done for.

3. Asuma: Konoha's Blade Member

I have no clue why Naruto even learned FRS, in the end Odama Rasengan does the same job without the flashy show and self-damage.

4. Aokiji Well-Known Member

:rotfl Epic win.

5. Kusogitsune Banned

Yes, all two of them. It's funny, just what-- 2months ago? Everybody was like, "FRS is lame, why can't Naruto come up with something actually USEFUL?!!!!" and now two or three guys say "FRS is AWESOME!" and it's like, "no, no must bash Naruto!" Dude, Kishi bashes Naruto more than enough for everyone. Seriously.

6. Coteaz Active Member

Rasenshuriken is immensely deadly if it makes contact. Death is assured, in fact.

But the overall effectiveness of the technique is lacking. As the OP so eloquently put it:
    Naruto needs two clones' help to perform FRS, and he requires time to build it up. During this period, he is quite vulnerable to attacks. If someone were to, say, disrupt his 'charging' with a well-placed jutsu, the technique would not work.
    Any competent ninja would attempt to do so, and by any means they have. Better to fight on your terms than try to dodge an instant-death jutsu...

7. Spiral Man Sick in the Head

Fuuton Rasenshuriken is truly, a double-edged sword, if you use it yourself, you'll screw up your chakra system, with a clone, nothing. The way to use it for naruto is to use two clones to join in to make it, which uses up a great deal of chakra.

Fuuton Rasenshuriken is to be used as a last resort, if you miss or if you hit your opponent, it messes up your system, if it hits your opponent, He's good as dead.

It's hard for any ninja to use it, but with kyuubi's chakra naruto can reinforce it to the likes of which we have ever seen, Picture 4-tails with Rasenshuriken, would probabaly kill three S-ranked nins, But it would cost naruto a greatdeal if it comes to himself using it.

I love this overall documentary on rasenshuriken, i was going to do something simalir to this during the week. +Reps for you.

8. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

I'm not bashing Naruto, I'm simply saying that in alot of threads I've seen alot of people, maybe even the same people, keep talking about how Naruto would just nuke different shit. Simply put, I dont find the FRS to be that impressive, so I decided to say something about it. It truthfully has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Narutos the one using it. I mean I even said its a good jutsu, just not as great as some people make it out to be. That and I guess I wanted to write an analysis over something. :wink

9. lunchb0x GO TEAM VENTURE!

well FRS is MUCH more suped up version of rasengan than Odama, but I agree it is a kill shot only. One great thing about this technique that you've left out the the team aspects of this jutsu, with some support team members such as a shikamaru type and maybe a sharingan/byakugan for seeing through some kawarimi and bunshin jutsus as a counter to the weakness strategy you pointed out.

Either way in a one vs. one fight Naruto using FRS as it is currently is would be a bad strategy and would end worse for Naruto than the enemy 99% of the time. Hopefully in the future Naruto will learn to throw it or refine the technique to last longer and do less damage to himself.

10. Noble Avenger Champs Bitch

I don't see the point either. There is no point in upgrading a close range move over and over again if you can't hit anyone with it. And if you can hit someone with it, how it it any different than Oodama Rasengan. Really, I think Kakuzu's 4 hearts thing was just to make the FRS not look like a complete waste.

Why not spend his time practicing different summons or weapon use? Oh well, I'll never understand how Kishi handles Naruto's development as a ninja.

11. Hokage Mac Dre The Flyest Young man in here.

your argument is garbage... "a simple kawarimi " and any type of clone would be a good defense against any jutsu...

12. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

But most other jutsu wont blow up in your face and take out your arm...

13. The Fool Active Member

Kishi said it was only 50 percent. You have to believe there is a reason for this.

14. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

Oh, I know, I'm just comment on its current effectiveness.

15. InfIchi I AM DA PLOT NINJA

because, Wind > Lighting. The Rasengan was = to the Chidori and naruto needed a way to one up sasuke. So kakashi thought this was the best way. but the real point of the training was to 1. Find naruto's element. 2. find how to use that to his advantage against sasuke/anyone else.

The FRS was never planed it was Yamamoto and naruto expanding on the Fuuton Rasengan. and its still only 50% done about and we may or may not ever see it again.

16. whitefang21 Kage

Naruto needs a long range justu

17. Coteaz Active Member

Perhaps that will be the '100% Fuuton jutsu' that Kishi has hyped up. Or perhaps Naruto will simply stay a close-range fighter, like he has always been.

18. lunchb0x GO TEAM VENTURE!

Oh and one more team aspect could be the eventual reunion of team 7 and having Sasuke combine his strongest Katon with Naruto's FRS to create an amazingly strong long range Katon. Similar to the Naruto Yamato combo, but since wind feeds fire and Sasuke should have some great new Katons the combo would be even deadlier. Given the drastic effects and ineffeciveness of Naruto's FRS I believe this is the most likely capacity to see this move again.

19. King Scoop Well-Known Member

It does leave him open to attack, but Naruto uses an extra clone for defense. Also it really doesn't take that long to form. He was able to make a third one before Kakuzu could kill his clone and turn around to defend. Its pretty much the same way for the Raikiri, Kakashi has to charge up that technique too.

20. Kusogitsune Banned

Sorry, you're right, I was too lazy to read your entire post. Sorry.

Personally, I think that the flashiness of the Jutsu makes it good for Intimidation purposes. Fear in battle can be a HUGE disadvantage in battle. It's not like Naruto can use genjutsu, and he has so much chakra that he can easily waste it on that and not feel sorry for it. But that's just my opinion.

21. lucky Wants the Custom Title.

kawarimi in naruto has always been the deus ex machina for the ninjas.

22. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

No problem, though you do have a point, spreading a little bit of fear throughout the battle field is always good. And fun. :p

23. Slash_Z The prince of stories

Well, my friend, you said exactly what I think :p

*24 hours remaining for +rep*

24. Naruto_RV " Believe It"

FRS is an attack that even Tsunade herself can't heal anyone from. Therefore, once it hit you, you're done for. It's the strongest jutsu in the manga. It just needs tweeking.

25. dragonfire The Not-So

yeah, FRS was a bit disappointing IMO, its practically the same as Rasengan 'only deadlier' (and the self-damage doesn't seem to help its case). Not that we were misled or anything, we were basically told naruto was making a more complete rasengan combining elemental and shape properties, and he pretty much did (although not 100%).

However, that in itself is the problem. at first, naruto seemed to be getting a good variety of moves, kage bunshin, naruto rendan, then summoning, and after that the 'rasengan curse' kicked in, and ever since then all we've been seeing in his development is that blowjob of a move getting bigger and bigger, and not much more effective in that regard. I know it's a bit dumb to expect genjutsu and the like from Naruto, but still, he still hasn't got solid elemental ninjutsu down, has a total of like, 4 moves shown to date, and we're to expect he's surpassed kakashi now? I know it's not quantity over quality and I'm sure the enormous chakra reserve helped in that regard, but still, it's just a bit off when kagebunshin whoring and rasengan has gotten Naruto that far (not saying it shouldn't have happened or anything, just that it could have been more interesting with the main character)

Anyway, in the FRS's defense, i'm pretty sure it takes kakashi to charge up a raikiri just as long, and if anything he can't use the KB as much as naruto and wouldn't be able to stall as well :) that would proabably even out with the self-damage of the FRS. It's a crazy jutsu indeed, but, it's still the same thing we're seeing from naruto

26. whitefang21 Kage

I think when naruto actually finishes the jutsu it won't hurt him, so we can't really judge the jutsu just yet. maybe the jutsu might turn into a long range attack, it is a shuriken.

27. Final Giku Tenshou Done with Naruto

How's he going to finish the Jutsu if it royally screws his arm over every time he uses it on something. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me really, granted Kishi's never been one of logic, that's stepping a bit out of bounds if Naruto can master it without screwing the nerves in his arm up. I think even Kishi knows that one. He'll have A LOT of explaining to do if that's the case.

28. InfIchi I AM DA PLOT NINJA

Same way he got it to 50%?

29. Shinkirou Lord of the Eclipse

The same way Yondaime worked out the shiki fuin I guess. :wink

30. Kusogitsune Banned

So he should take speed like his ex-boyfriend?