1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

GaaravsLee Q from Chuunin exams

Discussion in 'Konoha TV' started by ChinYisou, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ChinYisou KawaLee

Why does everything I see point to Gaara as being slow?

Just because he doesn't move during a battle does not make him slow.. If you watch closely, when Lee uses Renge, a move most of them are finding hard to follow, Gaara actually blocks most of the kicks coming at him, never mind the fact that he manages to evade the whole thing by the end of it and only Kakashi manages to catch that.

Yet still, there's this stigma attached to him that because he carries that gourd and doesn't move much that he is physically slow and can't keep up in a taijutsu style fight... He may not know any techniques, but he can at least dodge, apparently faster than the sand can defend.

I just want to know where this whole thing came from.. or whether I'm only seeing things when it comes to fandom and discussion.

Tags:
  2. RaZzy is not here.

Well.. the quick getting away thing was probably gaara making a sand bunshin while he turned himself into sand, or used some kind of earth jutsu.. because later we see him coming out of the floor/sand.
    So he used ninjutsu and/or genjutsu to escape from that one. (but we haven't really seen gaara using any genjutsu, so probably just ninjustu)

The blocking thing.. well he was hit by Lee's first kick. Then the kicks that followed were probably not as fast. Gaara just put his arms infront of him. No special taijutsu skill needed here.

3. kevo2488 Mighty Konoha Senpuu

Gaara -is- slow.

He was only blocking the attacks because he was putting his arms in front of his face.

Anyone can do that.

Also, his "dodging" and "evading" were all the works of the sand, not him. :p

4. ChinYisou KawaLee

He did leave a sand clone in his wake.. but it was him that got hit at the beginning, movement was implied by Kakashi's piqued interest in that single bit.. at least that's what I saw..

And yes he did just lift up his arms several times to block the kicks.. and yes they were slower than Lee's normal speed, but that does not make the kicks slow or the fact that Gaara could even lift his hands up in time less impressive.. everyone else in that exam that got hit with that move, or a variation didn't even have time to block..

So.. I don't know.. *shrugs*

5. kevo2488 Mighty Konoha Senpuu

I mean, not to bash Gaara, but I think he's nothing without his sand.

He's never shown any good Taijutsu or Projectile fighting.

Save sand throwing, of course.

Also, is it true he can't manipulate his sand without his
    Spoiler:
    Jinchuuriki?

6. ChinYisou KawaLee

I'm not denying that he doesn't have Taijutsu skills.. he really doesn't.. I just think it a little baseless to say that Gaara is that slow.

Anybody can lift their hands up, not a big deal, hell I got through 7 years of karate with being able to lift my hands up, but if people were too fast, that was the end of it.

Almost time to sleep again.. stupid work.

7. RaZzy is not here.

Btw why would anyone train his taijutsu when nobody could touch him before.. ofcourse it's a possibility, but not likely.

And yes he probably can't do anything without the sand. But that's like saying lee is nothing without his taijutsu.
    Gaara trained his sand. Lee trained his taijutsu.. same thing

8. D?j? Vu ಠ_ಠ

Gaara can make sand clones and whatever but he is physically slow. Carrying all that sand and the gourd is heavy. Even in the Naruto video games he is the only character that walks, all the others run.

9. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

kankuruo himself said in a way that gaara was slow because of his sand armor that he wears all the time. That since its heavy its restricts some of gaara's physical movement making him slow.

10. Razza Gemini

He is slow because he has no need for speed really. He has almost now Taijutsu ability. In fact, his entire attack pattern is purely Physical-based Ninjutsu attacks. You don't need to be fast if you dont have to actually hit the person with your body or actually block things (for the most part) with your arms. And as said above, that blocking was just a general guard, he was just covering up not actually blocking things.

11. HaremWarrior Secret Ero Ninjistu

Here is something thats out of the blue, just thought of this whilst reading the thread, who would win between gaara and crocodile from one piece? And to stick to the topic, its true, the sand that gaara carries is heavy and makes him pretty slow which is why the sand itself moves at quite a speed. Rock Lee had to go all out to beat it's speed. Well, almost all out....okay okay, just remove his wieghts. But hey! they were pretty heavy!

12. Perixie Peroxide Pixie

He even said something like this in the fight against Kimimaro, that he was indeed useless without his sand, but if he had sand he could do anything, i.e. kick major butt.

and also (MANGA SPOILER)
    Spoiler:
    he can manipulate his sand without his jinchuuriki, you see at the end of the 'rescue Gaara' arc

er...if i'm not allowed to post spoilers here even in spoiler tags, please delete this post :nod

13. kuchiyoseNOjutsu Badass

Not much of a spoiler here, your whole question should have been under a spoiler tag. To answer your question.

Spoiler:
    He was the jinchuriki, and he lost his bijuu not the junchuriki, but it was implied he can still use sand.