1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Polls close Thursday, September the 19th at 10:05pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Gai will never die

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by djayleno, Jun 2, 2007.

1. djayleno

He is the comic relief character. If you think being dead is funny then you have issues.:)

Tags:
  2. CrumCon

3. Christie

If Gai opens all the gates, Death gets Gai'd.

4. idc lol

It seems like the best end to his character, though. Neji is coming of his own as a leader, so he could lead the team. His nindo is dedicated to making Lee a great ninja, and that's becoming complete already. Gai exists to support characters like Neji, Tenten, Lee, and Kakashi. He doesn't exist in a literary sense for himself. His themes revolve around living for others. I think it would be befitting. Plus, there's no other way to see all eight gates. Unless Lee opens them and lives. Then Lee is a mary sue.

Or he could just remain alive and awesome.

5. darkwater297

Once Gai opens atleast a gate he is officially then a main character.

6. Birkin

He should live. He's one of the best good guys in my opinion.

7. Fang

Gai owned Kisame, Kisame is like above God with h4xs.

8. gabha

9. Poison

gai must dai, so he will. probably to fight the AL when he invades konoha

11. ♠Mr.Nibbles♠

IMO I thought that Naruto and Jaraiya covered the comic relief portion of the series.

Go Gai's significance is only pawnage to inferior ninja. When the day comes that he is no longer able to pawn and dies then Lee will take his place.

12. AbnormallyNormal

yeah rock lee will be seen as a truly splendid ninja towards the end of the story

13. Blanco

I do not want to see Gai die, but I would love to see the Death Gate in action.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  14. Ranger Samson

Gai is my favorite character but it's not unlikely that he will open all 8 gates to protect Lee.

15. Comic Book Guy Retired Staff

I'm thinking that Rock would be the one to open the 8 Gates first in the series.

Then again, it's my guess.

16. Lastier

17. Kaiwai

^ That's what I thought too with the whole: "The new generation surpasses the old one"

18. idc lol

So you think Lee will die, or do you think Plot no jutsu will let him live after doing something that should cripple him for life if he survives?

I don't think Gai would ever let Lee open the 8 gates. He'd die himself before he would. That would mean (to him-it's not like he knows Lee could survive from plot no jutsu) to him the death of his son-figure, and the end of his nindo.

19. Syphilis And Disorder

20. The_Light

gai's chances of living are over 9000 to 1.

21. Distracted

I will admit, Gai has grown on me slightly... but in a way that is different than everybody else seems to have turned him into.

His story with Lee. Taking a failure who can't use any ninjutsu or genjutsu and giving him the confidence in himself to become a strong ninja...

Why does Kishi ditch his touching stories so quickly?

However, as the proper disciple of my teacher... I've come to the conclusion that Gai still must Dai.

You mention that he's the comic relief character... and I could point out that the comic relief character dies in anything but horror movies... and while Naruto's plot has gotten pretty bad lately, it's still has more logic than Freddy vs Jason.

Gai dying would bring back more emotion to the manga... it would make it far more interesting, it would also allow him to go out in one of the most astounding ways.

I mean the MOMENT he mentioned that opening 8 gates = uber strength with death... he doomed himself.

It WILL happen. It has to... well it should, but Kishi ditches things so quickly that it might not happen.

I would like to mention that the reason Gai has grown on me a little is because of my own threads. Gaara being the ultimate door... and Gai was the first person to break his mind and world view apart (making it easier for Naruto to finish the job).

This means that Gai has to be more than filler, cause he could beat a door. Yet as a Jonin leader who isn't Kakashi he doesn't really have as much plot importance... which means he needs to have a few great moments and an awesome exit.

8 gates = Dynamic Exit.

22. Syphilis And Disorder

What would be better for the plot in my opinion:

Lee is the one that uses 8 gates, but he lives.

Now THERE you have the end of the "Lee wants to be a good ninja" story.

23. idc lol

Better for plot? Whomever Lee would beat that way...that villain's fans would hate Lee forever. That would be the cheapest thing. That is a chamber of chakra released from your heart. How...can you survive? How would Gai allow his student to open the 8th gate? He'd do it himself before Lee would. It's the most fitting ending for Gai because there is no more room for growth in his character. Lee can surpass Gai after Gai dies, or in the epilogue at the end, etc.

I just..for the 8th gate to finally be revealed and to not have the user die..that just seems really cheap. Lee can get character resolution in another way.

Sorry, not bashing your opinion or anything, it just seems to be taking a shortcut around the danger of the death gate.

24. Spencer_Gator

If Gai is going to die he will open the 8 gates.

25. mgnt

Gai as a character Already Became Immortal ...(nomatter what in series will happen)

AND i Think That ROCKLEE will be the First Survivor after usage of All 8Gates ...IF all 8gates will be ever shown in series...

...u won the thread

26. Shiranui

28. Kaiwai

Yes, you must read it too. Then maybe you'd understand Gai's greatness :nuts

29. Double Arts Sui

Gai has proven he's unselfish enough to die to protect a precious (or many precious) person, so it's likely he wouldn't hesitate to open Eighth Door in dire necessity moments.

Lee dying from 8 gates= Gai's death (Nice Guy Pose Promise)
    Gai dying from 8 gates= Lee's revenge

A Lee saving Gai plot would reverse their relationship the other way round, sure, and doesn't seem unlikely, being that Naruto is 'new generation surpasses old'. Alas, the second option seems more likely. Kishi has stated he does not like to kill (just threaten) the younger characters, hence the Konoha 12, and a Shika-Asuma-like event would mean a deep change in Lee.

I agree that Lee opening Hachimon to its limit and surviving is marysueish, but is a certain reviving jutsu also marysueish?

Kishimoto could find a way to make Lee mature into an independent ninja without resorting to the easier path (that is, killing Gai as he did with Asuma)
    I mean, it could be very difficult to separate them without a bloodshed or a terrible event. That event happened (Chûnin exam, Gai's kinjutsu training and Lee's injuries) and the fracture was repaired, so the other easy way is killing the sensei. I hope Kishimoto develops an alternative way.

The Holy Gaible is a good-natured FC. Being loud and clutzy is into Gai's nature, take the FC as what it is, a funny place with nice guys and gals that have a good time discussing one of the most peculiar Naruto characters. Hating the FC will not make the most fervid Gaitards change one ounce, on the contrary. Being that I'm a peace-searching Leetard-Gaitard, I ask you that hate or dissapprove of the HGFC to peek on the club, look what we daily discuss, join the fun or either...allow us to enjoy... our.... our.... our youths. :laugh

30. idc lol

I agree, but the thing is, even if Kishimoto found a plausible way to make Lee survive an eight gate opening (or just used a ridiculous excuse), it still wouldn't make sense that Gai wouldn't do it first. If his student(or students) is/are around, he'd take the furthest measures he could to ensure their safety. It just seems in his nature. He wouldn't sit in a stupor and watch Lee, the most important person in his life, open 8 gates in front of him. I just can't see that, and if anything happened to Lee, as you said...Gai dies, too. Or his nindo dies. Which means he's got no reason for living.

I see it as this: Lee can exist without Gai, Gai cannot exist without Lee.