1. Come enter in the KCC Pet Photo Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are pleased to invite you to participate in the Naruto Battledome Banner Contest.

Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (based on Song of Ice and Fire) [POTENTIAL SPOILERS] - Part 5

Discussion in 'Television' started by Reznor, May 19, 2015.

1. Son of Goku Doesn't need a Custom Title

About Those Parents Who Accidentally Named Their Children After a Fictional War Criminal
    In the penultimate episode of ‘Game of Thrones,’ Daenerys Targaryen went from being the Breaker of Chains to the Burner of Innocent People. This was hard to swallow for most, but especially for people who have a real-life connection to the character.

By May 14, 2019, 10:22am EDT

HBO/Ringer illustration
    Monday morning was challenging for Dre Campbell. The 35-year-old Tacoma, Washington, resident and longtime fantasy buff had just witnessed one of his favorite Game of Thrones characters take a turn for the worst. Daenerys Targaryen—long destined to be a hero, a brave leader who would save Westeros from a vicious cycle of violence—transformed into the Mad Queen and burned thousands of innocent citizens alive. But maybe worst of all, Campbell needed to delicately explain all of this to his 6-year-old daughter, Khaleesi.

In 2012, Campbell and his then-wife binge-watched the show during the latter half of her pregnancy. Inspired by the Mother of Dragons, the two decided to name their daughter Khaleesi, the Dothraki word for “queen” and one of Dany’s many titles. “What I liked about [Game of Thrones’] Khaleesi is that she was strong,” Campbell says. “No matter what happened to her, she always found a way to survive and come out on top.” As his daughter Khaleesi has grown up, Campbell has given her updates on her namesake’s latest accomplishments—which made their Monday-morning commute to school somewhat awkward.

“I said that she used her dragon to kill a lot of innocent people,” Campbell says. “Khaleesi was like, ‘Wow. Oh, that’s kind of scary.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah. That’s not you, though.’”

Campbell is one of many parents who, fresh off of Game of Thrones’ penultimate episode, must now reckon with the idea that the so-called Breaker of Chains who inspired his daughter’s name is now also the Burner of Civilians. Since before the show premiered, George R.R. Martin fans have been giving their children Westerosi names. (In fact, in a 2011 New Yorker , Martin posed for a photo with an infant named Daenerys.) But since the show premiered on HBO that same year, that population has grown considerably larger. While The New York Times that the most popular baby name associated with the show is Arya (a wise bet), Khaleesi is also very common. In 2014, it was the 757th most popular female baby name in the United States, the Social Security Administration. By 2018, it had become the 549th. (The names Daenerys and Dany have never ranked in the top 1,000 most popular baby names in the U.S., even if babies with the name have become more common.) that similar Khaleesi-centric monikers have become a trend in the U.K. as well.

But Martin has a way of surprising his audiences in new and increasingly cruel ways. And maybe his most unforeseen twist of them all was that the A Song of Ice and Fire author would procrastinate so much that HBO would have enough time to pass him up and turn his work into eight seasons of the of all time, encouraging millions of people to grow deeply attached to its protagonists—quote them! dress up as them! name kin after them!— before anyone knew how their character arcs ended. For many, this has resulted in a semipermanent zeitgeisty hangover. The actress who plays Dany, Emilia Clarke, has those . And thousands of parents have children accidentally named after someone who committed mass genocide. As one Twitter user Sunday night, to name a child after Dany is “basically like naming your child Joseph Stalin at this point.”

As the internet collectively snickers at the latest slice of chaos served by the series, the parents who once fully embraced the Mother of Dragons are sorting through the aftermath. “I did feel a type of way, If I’m being honest, when I was first watching it,” Campbell says. “When the bell sounded and she was still going in and burning all the people, I was like, ‘Oh my god, wow.’” But Campbell says that the term “Khaleesi” is just far enough removed from Daenerys’s actual name that it doesn’t seem like a problem. “I didn’t name my daughter Daenerys, I named her after the queen,” he says. He jokes that #NotAllKhaleesis are like their namesake.

Ira Godbold, a New York–based musician who gave his daughter the middle name Khaleesi in 2017 and frequently uses it as a nickname, tells me that despite Dany’s decision to burn women and children alive, he does not regret the name. For one, he delights in giving his children unique names. His 7-year-old son is named Zeta, after the Transformers’ original leader of the autobots, Zeta Prime. For another, he feels his daughter deserves a name that reflects her family. “Her mother is a very strong woman. I come from a family of very strong women. I just see Daenerys as the ultimate symbol of strength,” Godbold tells me. “A lot of people after last night’s episode are like, ‘Oh my god,’” he says. “I’m not one of those people. I still think the legacy of the character is going to live on even when it’s over. I’m a little upset with her. But not upset to the point where I’m going to look at my daughter and be like, ‘I can’t believe I named you that.’” Even so, as a fan of the show, Godbold acknowledges that Dany’s time is over. “She’s gotta go. I know that,” he says. “I hate to say it.”

Other parents have waved off the idea that their child’s name will have some kind of negative connotation, given how accustomed we’ve become to individuals of questionable moral character, both on dark HBO series and in real life. “I don’t think she’s mad at all; I think her actions are justified given her life [and] family history,” Chanel Stout, a 27-year-old medical scheduler who has a 14-month-old daughter named Daenerys, tells me via email.

“We all have a little crazy in us right?” says Katherine Acosta, a 23-year-old mother who has been featured in both and for naming her daughter Khaleesi. Perhaps we should’ve never expected Daenerys to be a perfect character in the first place. “It’s Game of Thrones,” she adds. “If you were expecting a happy ending, go watch Disney.”

Danny Cisneros, who has a 6-year-old daughter named Daenerys, points out that barely anyone on the show is a good person. “A lot of the characters have done some pretty horrific things on the Game of Thrones,” he says. “Tyrion strangles Shae, Arya cut up the Freys and fed them to Walder. I think that Brienne is the only one with a squeaky clean conscience at this point.” He says that as he watched “The Bells,” he was far more concerned about things other than the implications of his daughter’s name. “I was just more irritated about how my show was ending,” he says.

Nevertheless, he and his wife, Amanda, will be taking the in raising their daughter: Choosing to be strategic about what to tell their 6-year-old, Daenerys, about her namesake, and when. “She actually thinks Dany still has three dragons,” he says. “We went into GameStop the other day and she saw the Night King on Viserion, and she was like, ‘Oh, that’s my dragon.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, he borrowed it.’ When she gets older, she can watch the show herself, and read the books, and all that. She’ll know. For now, she’s still a princess with three dragons.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Shiba D. Inu Inherited Will, The Destiny of the Age and The Dreams of the People

:jesuschrist

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Come to think of it, I would name my daughter "Arya" if given the chance. Even if she turns out to be a terrorist next episode it's still a pretty name without the context of Game of Thrones.:whistle

• Like Like x 1
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Deer Lord living for dank memes

Naming your child after a cringey fantasy character is dumb
    But naming your child after a cringey fantasy character with an incomplete story is some next level dumb

Also, naming kids after GoT characters is such a white ppl thing to do

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

One of my closest friends from grade school was named after Kyle Reese from Terminator. :sag

6. Mael Well-Known Member

This is hilariously sad but true. Like loving Dave Matthews Band, it is an penultimate white person thing to do.

7. Mael Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, this is awesome.

8. Jesse Spring is here

Damerys was always meant to be villain. Even martin has similar to end with his book .

I feel show poorly executed it with last few episodes.

Taking the example of breaking bad walter white had perfect ending his character progress was done really well .

I just want to see martin release his books because the final war was a just fireshow which martin would never approve.

Just look at stannis invasion now thats what i call a good battle tactics.

I expected tyrion to be involved and proactive frankly he was ruined by the screenplay writers after they ran out of books.

9. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

It is a pretty name, but don't do that to your kid.

10. corsair ★★★★

I've got no sympathy for the people that named their daughter Khalessi. That's just dumb. Daenerys is also weird. At least make it Dany so that it isn't that obvious in a few years.

11. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

This season is the only season rated lower than season1, Just say you were rooting for Dany to win and you're dissapointed in the direction.

12. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

Yeah, if youre gonna give your kid a weird name, make it a middle name. They can pick up a nickname later if they're actually interesting.

It annoyed me that people called kids Khaleesi anyway. Daenerys is the character's name. Khaleesi is a title which usually translates to "Girl who regularly gets publically fucked my a warlord slaver".

13. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Both "Khalessi" and "Daenerys" sounds like words a wizard would utter to perform a spell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. ClandestineSchemer Well-Known Member

So many trash parents out there.
    Like the ones naming their kids Dovahakin to get lifetime free elderscroll games.

15. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Don't even do Dany straight up. Name the girl Danielle and then call her dany as a nickname. Nicknames only. It's the rule of thumb. The more unusual your kids actual name, the harder their life is. I don't know why that is, but it is. I guarantee anyone you knew back in school with a weird name ended up as a member of NXIVM.

I knew a kid a long time ago who was named toshiro. Now bear in mind he wasn't japanese. He was a white european kid. So were his parents. It's so sad. RIP (I'm assuming)

16. Kansas City Kipchaks Point Guard Well-Known Member

While the show was good all i remember that sometimes she was Sueish...

I don't have a time machine to tell you what i speculated when the show was good.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. Mael Well-Known Member

Don’t think Emilia Clarke is cool enough to acknowledge or say anything of the sort but this would’ve suited her completely:

18. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Based on an article about GoT I read years ago, some people seem to unironically believe Khaleesi is her name.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

Yeah, dumb people to enjoy smart shows. Even if its only because they have people fucking when the smart people are talking for the first few seasons.

20. Mael Well-Known Member

Or dumb people enjoy dumb shows like Rick & Morty.

But you make a point.

21. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

There's a mix of smart and dumb stuff in Rick and Morty too. Crap half the audience doesn't notice.

22. Superman

This......this kills me.:lmao

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  23. Mael Well-Known Member

I can get a few smart references but the show is hardly genius and the characters are insufferable with horrible voice acting.

24. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

The problem with the show is that it's too smart and has too much mainstream appeal at the same time. Now there's about 6million people that have watched videos of theorycrafting and plot intricacies and think that they too have the ability to theorycraft.

95% of the fanbase confuse character arc's with caricatures, and like to call D&D lazy, dumb, or ineffective which is ironic because S5, S6, and S7 are all higher rated than S1 which was the only 100% faithful adaption.

You have people calling Dany's turn misogynistic, armchair writers thinking they can do better than professionals that have brought in about 2million viewers after passing the source material, people wondering why this show isn't lord of the rings.

It's a complete shitshow, and im embarrassed to say im part of the worst fanbase in the history of modern media.

25. Pliskin Well-Known Member

The book fanbase is cool though for the most part, dudebros ruined GoT.

26. Shiba D. Inu Inherited Will, The Destiny of the Age and The Dreams of the People

why are you mad Kisame ? :blinditachi

27. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Book fanbases are almost always mellow though. They're books. The only way book fanbases get ruined is if and when they go overboard drawing fanarts of the characters, because it's only a matter of time before hentai/furry/tentacle deviantarts start showing up and then r/asoiaf becomes r/dragonsfuckingcars overnight.

It can happen to anybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  28. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

It took 2-3 Season's just for most watchers to memorize the names of these characters . :sag

29. Undertaker elect the dead

Imagine doing in 4 minutes a better job than D&D did in the entire season.

List of things to make a good ending:
    - Tyrion is executed
    - Sansa gets bad ending, not killed but grascale level bad
    - Jon kills Daenerys
    - Arya and Grey Worm kill each other
    - Drogon flies away and lives happily ever after
    - Bronn becomes broke alcoholic bragging about his past deeds
    - Brienne aborts Jaime kid and dies
    - Sam gets fried and eaten by hungry plebs
    - Sweetrobin arises and starts plotting to become the king, backstabbing Bran is the first step
    - Cersei is alive and gives birth to a boy
    - Jon travels north and encounter new white walkers or becomes NK

Cursed ending:
    - Arya kills Daenerys
    - Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Bronn, Brienne, Sam lives happily ever after
    - Sweetrobin is a retarded spoiled kid manipulated by Sansa

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  30. Kobe █▄█▄█ █ █▀█

After listening to my friend bitch and moan about episode 5, I gave it a try. I don't think it was that bad. IMO, the whole problem with this season is the pacing, other than that the story is ending well.

As they say,

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That being said, prepare for a Return of the King type of ending.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List