1. Come enter in the KCC Pet Photo Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are pleased to invite you to participate in the Naruto Battledome Banner Contest.

Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (based on Song of Ice and Fire) [POTENTIAL SPOILERS] - Part 5

Discussion in 'Television' started by Reznor, May 19, 2015.

1. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

Im just disappointed because the vocal majority of fans aren't able to appreciate this story for what it is.

2. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

What if Daenerys kills Arya.

And Gendry raises the Stormlands in rebellion.

3. Mael Well-Known Member

Poorly paced shit?

4. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Jon couldn't even pet his wolf because blowing up a city was more important :gglife

5. Turrin 玄武

While I certainly think the outcry against the show has been overblown and this season isn’t as horrible as the casual fan would have you believe. I also don’t think it’s fair to say that a lot of people online couldn’t have written a more satisfying conclusion then what D&D have come up with. And o I only say that because D&D pretty much openly admit that HBO was willing to pay for at least 2 full length seasons; and they told them to do these 2 shortened version instead. And the main valid complaint of this season is the pacing being horrible, which could have been greatly avoided by having several more episodes to flesh out character arc. D&D simply wanted to be done with the show and move onto other projects which I respect on a human level, but pretty much any casually fan put in charge of the show would have opted for more episodes; and that would have been an improvement.

6. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

If casual fans were in charge we would have episodes dedicated to flashbacks of Euron raping Aeron, Faegon would win the throne, Dany would burn KL and then die tragically fighting the NK and the army of dead, Tyrion Targaryen would ride Rhaegal against the dead, and Howland Reed would give us 3 episodes of dialogue telling us how Faegon is the one true king and Jon is really child to Ashara and Ned.

No thanks count me out.

7. Deer Lord living for dank memes

My prediction for finale:
    > Tyrion excecuted
    > Jon duels and kills greyworm (possibly trial by combat as a throwback to the mad king)
    > Arya kills dany
    > Drogon flies away

idk who will sit the throne when all is said and done tho
    It might actually be Sansa because STRONK WHAMEN

8. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

You think DnD are making the ending bad so that GRRM can write the real better ending and have a boots in sales

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

This is GRRM's ending.

10. Deer Lord living for dank memes

GRRM will die of diabetes before the 6th novel is even finished

11. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

That would motivate jon to kill danny

12. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Is there anything from the show you look more than the books?

For me, sort of...

I think Grey Worm is more compelling in the show than he is in the books, but I don't know if that really matters because he's not that important in said books, whereas other characters (like Barriston Selmy) had their roles drastically reduced in the show. While I'm cool with Grey Worm, I like Selmy a lot more, so it's a complicated issue.

I'd probably say I like Cersei more in the show thanks to Lena Headey's performance. I wasn't crazy about the Cersei POV-chapters, as she's too intensely unlikable. It's not just that she's mean either, she's also dumb, so it's kind of frustrating enduring that combination, whereas show-Cersei gets some of the most awesome moments. So I might give that to the show over the books.

13. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I get the disappointment with the show sometimes, but I don't get it just now being vocalized, like GoT was perfect until right now. That episodes like The Bells have the lowest ratings in the whole series is crazy.

I mean, euron was bad last season too. That's not new.

Characters have been showing up and intersecting coincidentally for years too. That's not new either. Euron coincidentally washing up beside jaime and then fighting has been happening since as far back as brienne bumping into the hound and arya for a fan service fight (didn't happen in the books).

The dialogue has also been canned in certain scenes for years. Characters have acted for the sake of drama for years; sansa and the vale showing up unannounced to help jon against ramsay just because it's more exciting for them to show up unannounced. Tyrion hasn't been that interesting for years, steadily dropping off after season 4. Even jaime has been kind of a bore since he returned to cersei the first time a few years back.

I feel like a lot of people only started watching the show around season 5 or 6, so they never calibrated to the slow adjustments and changes as the show left the books and also started getting a little long in the tooth. No matter how good of a show you are, it's really hard to stay inspired after 10 years. I can't think of any 8 season show better than GoT, warts and all.

14. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Im not so sure...
    Arya’s move to kill the NK wasnot part of GRRM plan

15. Deer Lord living for dank memes

It's not really negotiable
    George told Weiss and Benioff how the story ends.

Not in detail, sure. But they have the general outline

16. Sennin of Hardwork The Greater Fool Moderator

17. ZergKage Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

Like the lord of deer said this is a fact not an opinion. GRRM gave them the outline, he's had the ending since 1991 and only made adjustments in the early 00s after canning the timeskip.

D&D know how this story will finish and it's quite obvious that the Walkers being defeated then Dany turning is straight from the horses mouth, that's a GRRM move if i ever seen one.

19. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

Okay I’ll believe ya

20. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

No, Euron may not go down as the man who killed the Kingslayer,
    But still, he has quite the resume:

21. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

It only makes sense that Euron was effective in the show, why else would they introduce him so late.

22. Deer Lord living for dank memes

It honestly feels like they wanted to do more with Euron but then the show went through some production changes or something and he was kinda left out to be filler material

23. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

People are angrier now because the show is coming to an end.

Even if this season remained unchanged, if there was another season after this that would be the final season, the vitriol would be a lot less.

24. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Shoulda introduced Euron to kill Balon in near the end of season 3 or the beginning of season 4, so that when Stannis moved to kill his bastard nephew like in the books, it would have been because all 3 kings he named when he threw the leaches in the fire were dead, and then we'd get Davos's awesome line about counting cows. In the show, it was only Robb and Joff that died and he went after Gendry without waiting for Balon to fall. So we were robbed of Liam saying the awesome cow line. And then they waited till season 6 to kill Balon.

Well, whatever. We got the funny scene of Balon discovering Theon's favorite toy thanks to his extended presence atleast.

25. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I bet the show doesn't have free reign it's being talked up as having. We know some characters are shoehorned in to please the executives. The cast is getting more and more money the longer the show goes on, so that can't be an easy negotiation. I can't imagine what kind of scheduling and contractual problems start snowballing after 10 years with a show this big, with a cast this big.

26. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

To be fair, Euron was only introduced recently in the books too and hasn't done much. We only really see him in the books from the perspectives of three characters, two who have been adapted out (the other being Yara).

I think the problem with both Euron's story and the Dorne story is that in the books, they're so disconnected from everything else that they just would seem like filler in the context of the TV show. They tried to fix the Dorne subplot by having Jamie and Bronn go there in place of the random Kingsguard members who fill the role in the books, while expanding on a story that has yet to reach its climax in the books... but where could they do that in Euron's storyline?

Just to be clear where they're at in the books

-- Jon has just died.
    -- Dany is about to be abducted by the Dothraki
    -- Tyrion is still in captivity with Jorah
    -- Cersei has yet to stand trial
    -- Stannis is about to take on Ramsay
    -- Bran just met the 3 eyed Raven
    -- Arya is still training with the faceless men.
    -- Sansa's storyline is different, but the equivalent is right before her marriage with Ramsay (and it's not Ramsay... and the plan is to convince her would-be husband to marry her... if I'm remembering this correctly)

So that's like... what? Season 5? If they introduced Euron earlier, that would distance them from the novels even further. The best they could've done was have Theon, Yara or their Dad namedrop him.

27. Kisame3rd14 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that in the books he's really just a manipulator, half the shit fans think he's capable of is just a crock of shit he used to manipulate the dumbest character in the story.

28. Rukia Maximum Security! NVM, lol

I signed the petition.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  29. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

What's weird is they visibly cut the dorne thing short because of backlash. It couldn't have been that important, but I wonder what the original intention for dorne was. I wonder whose role they beefed up to compensate for dorne players being cut short.

30. Shiba D. Inu Inherited Will, The Destiny of the Age and The Dreams of the People

book Euron is legit af

Valyria artifact, valyrian steel armor and possibly some other real magic too

hes also batshit crazy and omnicidal, that makes Ramsay look like a baby