1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

George H.W. Bush, 41st President, Dies at 94

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Catalyst75, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I would have shared the full article, but it might break the character limit for the site. It looks like a full biography.

George Bush, the 41st president of the United States and the father of the 43rd, who steered the nation through a tumultuous period in world affairs but was denied a second term after support for his presidency collapsed under the weight of an economic downturn and his seeming inattention to domestic affairs, died on Friday. He was 94.

His death, which was announced by his office, came less than eight months after that of his wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush.

Mr. Bush had a form of Parkinson’s disease that forced him to use a wheelchair or motorized scooter in recent years, and he had been in and out of hospitals during that time as his health declined. In April, a day after attending Mrs. Bush’s funeral, he was treated for an infection that had spread to his blood. In 2013, he was in dire enough shape with bronchitis that former President George W. Bush, his son, solicited ideas for a eulogy.

But he proved resilient each time. In 2013 he told well-wishers, through an aide, to “put the harps back in the closet.”

Mr. Bush, a Republican, was a transitional figure in the White House, where he served from 1989 to 1993, capping a career of more than 40 years in public service. A decorated Navy pilot who was shot down in the Pacific in 1944, he was the last of the World War II generation to occupy the Oval Office.

Mr. Bush was a skilled bureaucratic and diplomatic player who, as president, helped end four decades of Cold War and the threat of nuclear engagement with a nuanced handling of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the liberation of Eastern Europe.

Yet for all his success in the international arena, his presidency faltered as voters seemed to perceive him as detached from their everyday lives. In an election that turned on the economy, they repudiated Mr. Bush in 1992 and chose a relatively little-known Democratic governor from Arkansas, Bill Clinton, a baby boomer, ushering in a generational shift in American leadership.

If Mr. Bush’s term helped close out one era abroad, it opened another. In January 1991 he assembled a global coalition to eject Iraqi invaders from Kuwait, sending hundreds of thousands of troops in a triumphant military campaign that to many Americans helped purge the ghosts of Vietnam.

But the victory also brought years of American preoccupation with Iraq, leading to the decision by George W. Bush in 2003 to topple the Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein, in a war that taxed American resources and patience.

The elder Mr. Bush entered the White House with one of the most impressive résumés of any president. He had been a two-term congressman from Texas, ambassador to the United Nations, chairman of the Republican National Committee, United States envoy to China, director of the Central Intelligence Agency and vice president, under Ronald Reagan.

And he achieved what no one had since Martin Van Buren in 1836: winning election to the presidency while serving as vice president. (Van Buren did so in the footsteps of Andrew Jackson.)

A son of wealth and a graduate of Phillips Academy in Massachusetts and Yale, Mr. Bush was schooled in the good manners and graciousness of New England privilege and civic responsibility. He liked to frame his public service as an answer to the call to duty, like the one that had sent him over the Pacific and into enemy fire as a 20-year-old. (“The cockpit was full of smoke and I was choking from it,” he told his parents in a letter from the submarine that had plucked him from the sea.)

He underscored the theme of duty in accepting his party’s nomination for the presidency in 1988 in New Orleans. “I am a man who sees life in terms of missions — missions defined and missions completed,” he told Republican delegates in the Louisiana Superdome, acknowledging a swell of applause. He said he would “keep America moving forward” and strive “for a better America.”

“That is my mission,” he concluded, “and I will complete it.”

Tall (6 feet 2 inches) with an athlete’s graceful gait, Mr. Bush was genial and gentlemanly, except in the throes of a tough campaign. (Admonished by his mother against self-promotion, Mr. Bush, an inveterate note writer, in his clipped diction avoided the first person singular pronoun.) He represented a “kinder” and “gentler” strain of Republicanism — the often-quoted words he used in his Inaugural Address to describe his vision for the nation and the world — that has been all but buried in a seismic shift to the right in the party.

----------------------------------

Tags:
  2. President Raiden

3. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    RIP

Wonder if Gorbachev will be at the funeral?

4. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

Fun fact: We haven't had any U.S. presidents passed away since Gerald Ford in 2006.
    Bush Senior was also the last World War 2 U.S. President. He's also the longest living president in history, at age 94.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Holy shit, I just put him on my Celebrity Death List yesterday. Knew this day would come soon since Barbara died earlier this year. RIP.

6. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Slightly incorrect. Jimmy Carter serves in WWII and he was younger than Bush 41. He served as President before him though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Isn't he far too sickly to travel?

8. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I don't know what his health is like, to be honest.

9. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

This bush I'm fine with, he knew when to stop wars

10. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Although, Carter just has to live until May to get the title of longest lived President.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Bush meeting Deng Xiaoping (1989)

12. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Tempted to post a Rabbit and Piglet picture.

13. Cardboard Tube Knight Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad! Sad! x 1
    • List
  14. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Putin has basically turned him into an un-person.

Gorby, who now identifies as a Social Democrat, has repeatedly tried to get back into politics, but his applications to register a party keep getting denied on various technicalities. Similarly I think they try (not always successfully) to obstruct him from talking to foreign media or attending high-profile international events.

As far as I know Xi Jinping has not visited Gorby on any of his seven (!) trips to Russia, which is kind of strange since the PRC in 2018 is the same "age" as the USSR was in 1986. You'd think the leader of the world's largest surviving Communist country would be interested in hearing whatever advice the former Leader of the World Revolution might have. Even if he then choses not to follow it. So I think it's probably Putin who's against them meeting.

Gorby also didn't appear in any high-profile capacity for the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution. At most maybe he gave the odd interview.

15. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Here's a pic of him with Babe Ruth

16. Alwaysmind 总是心神

Switzerland, Canada, China
  17. Nemesis The Sith Lord

Sokovia
    If only Yeltsin didn't use the hardliners coup for his own power play and instead fully sided with Gorbachev. Reforms would have gone through, maybe deals could have been done with republic borders and no drunk Russian president putting in a nobody from St Petersburg as replacement because he thought said replacement was mediocre at politics.

18. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    RIP.
    Joining his wife.

19. wibisana still newbie

Poland
  20. Atlas .

Germany
    a document

Remember what it was like to have a president?

21. GRIMMM Master of Fright

It's depressing to see how the presidential title has been smeared by a turd that's spraypainted orange and has some malted dog fur stuck to it.

22. Rukia We are all Spider-man!

Germany
    I won the 2018 death pool in my family.

What can I say about Bush? He’s probably the first president of my lifetime that I really remember as President. A one term president. Launched a political dynasty. He’s a guy that pretty much spent the last ten years of his life in and out of hospitals. He was probably trying to live forever.

23. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

that award might go to Cheney

24. WT #for the watch

I suspected this as his wife died earlier this year.

It is typically very hard to live without the person you love although it is very easy to live without people you have killed.

I'am not going to be vulgar in this post but I suspect people are already aware of my sentiments.

I'm not going to be vulgar purely out of repect to the concept of death and not towards the man in question because I had none for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  25. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    It's unfortunate that he had to see the GOP turn from the Party of Reagan to the Party of Trump, dying without knowing if this was gonna be permanent or just a parenthesis in the party's history.

26. WT #for the watch

If in the end he felt sentiments that his party image was tarnished and he died with this in mind, I find it befitting. No honor in life and none now in death.

27. the_notorious_Z.É. The Pirate Prime minister

Portugal
  28. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Twitter already brought the jokes :wow

29. Kafuka Fuura 仮面の告白

Flag:
    Japan
  30. President Raiden