1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Germophobia

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by Polaris, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

This basically translates to a pathological fear of germs and contamination. Everyone is afraid of germs to some degree, since we’re instinctively aware that bad bacteria can make us sick. However, some people go to great lengths to keep themselves from coming into contact with germs and dirt, that it interferes with their life and decreases their life quality.

How strong is your germophobia on a scale of one to ten? What preventative measures do you take in order to not become contaminated/sick? Do you wash your hands often and etc.?

Tags:
  2. Lewd Super Moderator

I wouldn't say we're instinctively aware that bad bacteria can make us sick. A few centuries ago we thought bad smells were the cause of illness.

I'm not particularly worried about germs, so I guess 3/10. Though I do take normal measures like cleaning my hands after going to the toilet, etc.

3. Nighty the Kawaii ^_^ Yaaaaay

4/10

Usually if a surface at least looks or smells clean I don’t think about it too much

And yes I wash my hands after going to the bathroom, picking something up etc

4. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

Yes we are, that’s why we find people who poke their noses gross and are wary of coming into contact with other people’s body fluids, for example.

5. Lewd Super Moderator

6. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

People don't have to be taught that, "poking your nose is bad" in order to find it disgusting.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. nighty42 I'm ok with being wierd.

i have lived with family members who have questionable hygiene which has somewhat rubbed off on me a little. { pun intended }i don't wash my hair often or even take bath/showers everyday unless i am going out or work. 3/10

8. White Nighty Super Moderator

That seems rather inconclusive by all means. I really couldn't give a hoot if someone picks their nose and I doubt that I'm an anomaly in that regard, and "wary of coming into contact with other people's body fluids" is questionable at best. A big part of dating is swapping all sorts of body fluids!

Hell, you have fetishists who incorporate even the more questionable body fluids on a day to day basis.

Anyways, not particularly germaphobic. Most I get is paranoid of pet hair which makes me wash my hands more often after playing with my dogs, but outside of that not too bothered.

9. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    I always wash my hands. I don't feel correct if I touch something and just leave it like that.

How about you @DemonDragonJ ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

Well yes, humans are less susceptible to feeling disgusted of someone’s body fluids when they’re attracted to the person in question or are aroused. But it’s a different story when it comes to body fluid’s belonging to strangers or acquaintances.

Also, that’s just one example.

If someone coughed in your face, would you not find it repulsive?

Would you use someone else’s dirty Q-tip to clean your ears with?

Could you touch someone else’s vomit without feeling disgusted?

11. White Nighty Super Moderator

Not really, no.
    Maybe depends how gunky it is if there was any logical merit in getting any usage out of it.
    I mean bare handed I wouldn't even want to touch my own? But again not much of an issue after raising so many dogs and living rural shit like that is not something that triggers me.

I clean up entire pools of blood at times so piss and vomit and earwax feels pretty lacking in comparison.

12. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

We’re like day and night when it comes to this. I pull down my sleeves whenever I take the bus, so that my skin won’t come into contact with anything that hundreds of strangers have touched and neurotically wash clean cutlery before using it since I fear that it isn’t clean enough. :hoho

13. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

I very much believe that a fondness for being clean is a trait that makes us humans so unique and special, so I was my hands many times every day, I wash every part of my body whenever I shower or bathe, I wash my dishes every time after I have finished with them, and I wash my clothing every time that I wear it, as well.

• Neutral Neutral x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    6.5/10
    Always after I come back inside or touch my pets. Or touching something that I think is contaminated, like door handles, objects, money, etc.

15. Nightymount Wreak havoc

Trinidad and Tobago
    Where do people poking their noses come from then?

16. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Super Moderator

I'm about 6/10 in terms of germophobia. I'll eat a chip if it falls on a fairly clean floor at home, but if someone sick starts sneezing around me I feel very unsettled and gross.

17. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Stop making up bullshit. None of this has to do with distal psychology.

Cell theory is barely centuries old and health standards being remotely were they are now are also relatively new.

18. Aphrodite

Im bad when it comes to germs. I wash my hands like 50 times a day plus other things.

19. Nighty the Flat Earther Well-Known Scientist

Worked in microbiology lab without problems. I respect the dangers though.

20. Polaris Sagittarius Sun/Aquarius Ascendant

Pathogen disgust functions as a behavioural immune system. Infectious microbes have been a consistent source of danger for homo sapiens and other hominids throughout the history of humankind, especially for those in developing nations. Pathogen disgust thus functions as a behavioural immune system, motivating humans to avoid contact with potential disease vectors.

21. ~M~ Do it for her

I stay very sanitary because I work under sterile conditions and I'm mindful of things like cross contamination. You'd be amazed at the unclean behavior I've seen people such as nurses engage in... No thanks.

22. Lord Nighty Atomic Sables!

I'm super sensitive to germs especially in regards to my food. I think i'm almost to the point of germaphobia, like i'm afraid to touch bathroom doorknobs with my bare hands or else I have to wash them again. :faint:faint

24. Island In the Sun Moderator

United States
    Being "instinctively aware that bad bacteria can make us sick" implies (1) we're unconsciously aware of the existence of bacteria and (2) that we can unconsciously discern good bacteria from bad bacteria.

There's no way either of those are true.

It's probably more like natural selection resulting in us not liking tastes, smells, and visual cues associated with certain diseases. We don't eat shit, for example, because it tastes and smells bad, and it tastes and smells bad because natural selection weeded out the shit eaters.

In other words, it's more "this resembles something I have a biological predisposition to dislike so therefore I don't like it" and less "I am innately aware that microscopic organisms exist and can make me sick, and since this thing is full of said organisms, I will avoid it."

25. Avalon