1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Get Electricity... via your wireless network!

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by @lk3mizt, Jun 8, 2007.

1. @lk3mizt Well-Known Member

is this cool or what?!
    pics and illustration here:

i was just thinking.. wouldn't you get zapped walking across the wireless path?!

Tags:
  2. Edo Αρχίδια

man that would be awesome!!!! so so cool!

3. The Space Cowboy Unfair, Unjust, Human

The wireless-signals-cause-bad-stuff crowd is going to go apeshit over this.

Using the long waves to transmit power? Neat. Don't get it near any sensitive equipment please. It'd definitely be good for small consumer electronics like cellphones.

The downside is that once you're radiating power like this, there's no way to control who can use it so if people started using it for long-range applications they'd inadvertently charge the devices of everyone on the same frequency.

4. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

I've heard about these research some years ago. The question I never saw an answer to was "Is it dangerous for health ?" Seems that it is not. But I'm still suspicious of this claim. Even they say "Should not be..." I want a 98% rate of certainty. Below, I'm unhappy. I mean... waves around you transporting electricity, and nothing happens to you ? Dunno...

Oh, and one of the team members is called Marin Soljacic ? He's from Zagreb, Croatia, internet says ! He's like the legacy of Nikola Tesla ! "Samo tako, Care !!" ("Keep it up, Dude !!" Car mean Tsar, but it can be used as "dude")

5. Sky is Over Active Member

interesting; even though I see radiation and other jazards arising from this new technology.

6. Link Courage

Damn, beat me to it. This sounds interesting, I wonder if they can duplicate the effect over long distances.
    I'd be worried about sensitive electronics though. All that magnetism can't be good for a motherboard.

7. ApuLunas Frostmourne Hungers grs grs...

8. Sakashi Water good, Milktea better

9. yuugaoambu Bokken and katana user

It depends on the wave lenght they use...

10. @lk3mizt Well-Known Member

lol i smell it too!
    :lmao

11. Vandal Savage The Magician Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    This sounds cool but I would be waiting a few years to see if any problems arise from it. I'm not trying to die from cancer.

12. Fulcata I don't recognize your names.

I agree, but I think you mean Caesar, not Tzar.

13. sadated_peon King of the potato people.

Way to promote energy conservation by designing a huge system of energy inefficiency just so some fucking yuppie doesn't have a cord to his laptop.

14. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

they can measure how much energy you are using by how many receivers you have around your home and how many of those receivers are actually turned on when the signals are tramsmitted. or they could very well have a third device like a computer screen or something and from there you can see all your appliances or devices that you have around your home and you can enable or disable them with a touch of the button. this way the trasmiter only sends signal to the devices that have the receiver on.

15. Geat_Masta Pineapple

i've always wanted wireless extension cords xD

16. Ember* Advent One

Lol, dam, you made the thread before me Drats, oh well, yeah I think It's an excellent step for mankind, who would have thought, wireless electricity

17. Vom Osten God save the Empire

No, those are your insides cooking. Anyone up for some liver and onions?:nuts

18. Kubisa Well-Known Member

Hmm, it seems dangerous. I'll take eight.

19. chaosakita 我愛羅の愛好者~~!

I heard about this before on some science magazine thing. It sounds like a cool idea, but it really isn't that necessary to me.

20. Anaiya Full of Fluffy Rawr

I see a demand spike for almuminum skull caps.

21. Deathinstinct Member

Well this does work the same way a microwave fries a chicken. Only instead of vibrating water molecules to make heat, it vibrates a copper plate to make electricity.

That's just stupid, aluminum can't stop EM. You need to use steel/iron helmets like we used to use in the dark ages.

This does have some appropriate applications, but not household appliances, laptops, and cellphones.

22. The_Unforgiven Grazie Paolo

^ but its still a big step in power delivery. Think of all the cuts on power cables. Think of all the current that will be saved instead of being wasted bue to loss by resistance.

23. Marl Now with added S? Engine!

Yes. Energy efficiency by radiating in all directions. Good plan.

24. jetdork New Member

This actually is a step closer to a Real, Cost-efficient and Constant source of renewable energy. Think about it...The major obstable preventing us from just shooting up satellites to farm electricity at the top of Earth's atmosphere (where they can just gather it up 24/7 and not have our atmosphere distort it so much) is that we just can't have a power cable run down from up there all the way down to the ground.

By expounding on this experiment and expanding the range of the receiver-transmitter coils to...well...around 30 miles, we might just be able to save our planet...

25. Deathinstinct Member

How do you think EM radiation is created? Radiotowers and cellphones create EM radiation(and transmit signals) by putting current through a wire. This doesn't reduce waste, it generates more.

Do you have any idea how increadible worthless solar panels are?

26. jetdork New Member

I beg to differ with your standpoint as it is clearly not backed by empirical evidence.

Numerous advances have already been achieved in terms of the efficiency with which solar panels absorb solar energy (heat and light) and transform it into electric energy. Over the years, many companies, including Siemens Solar, have worked to increase the efficiency of photovoltaic power. Today, commonly available solar panels are 12% efficient, which is four times greater than only a few years ago.

Although it may seem that 12% is such a miniscule number we must keep in mind that every day the sun showers Earth with several thousand times as much energy as we use. Even the small amount that strikes our roof is many times as much as all the energy that comes in through electric wires. With the sun straight overhead, a single acre of land receives some four thousand horsepower, about equivalent to a large railroad locomotive. In less than three days the solar energy reaching Earth more than matches the estimated total of all the fossil fuels on Earth.

Thus you are quite clearly mistaken. You are the worthless one - argumentum ad hominem

27. Deathinstinct Member

Emperical Evidence - Evidence derived from direct observation and sense experience.
    Wait we have solar power satellites providing us on Earth with free power, when did this happen?

HP isn't used for electronics, Watts or Joules is. Second, you should really supply a timeframe for your measurement. You likely meant per second, but HP is meaningless without a timeframe.

Next, satellites can't cover even a small fraction of the sky, so looking at the total solar energy that hits Earth is just stupid. Even then to capture the energy you speak of would require blocking out the Sun, which wouldn't be a good idea(not that we could).

And finally you are vastly underestimating the ineffiency of a system such as this.
    1. You can only capture 12% of the energy (15%-18% is actually already obtained, so I guess your data is out of date).
    2. The energy has to be transformed into AC inorder to transmit it (DC can't generate EM waves). This has a loss of 5-10% associated with it.
    3. The energy has to actually propogate to Earth. Assuming you simply radiate it out in all directions, this will reduce the energy to Energy/h^3, where h is the height of the satellite (normally 35,000 km).
    4. Now the energy has to be turned back into DC for use with electronics. Even with a high-efficiency converter, 85%-90% is the best you should expect. Though this one might not be needed with the bizarre device they're using, but I imagine it creates AC.

When did I personally attack you? I think someone's just using big words to sound important. See, now I'm attacking you.

28. Mintaka Well-Known Member

Once quantum dots capable of intercepting more than 63 percent of that energy become available then what?

And hey I wouldn't mind a dyson......of course blocking out the sun isn't on my to do list....and it is possible just not with our current tech.....