1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gnostic Gospels

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by angelchick, Oct 18, 2006.

1. angelchick

I made this thread to answer some questions about the Gnostic gospels. Many people believe that the Gnostic gospels were hidden or destroyed when the bible was being brought together becuase of some sort of conspiracy within the church. The reason that the Gnostic bibles weren't included was becuase they aren't a first hand account about Jesus since all the Gnostic gospels were writen after the historic date of the death of all the disciples, not becuase they just didn't like them, or becuase of a power issue. Well this is a link to a page about the authenicity of the text, so if you have any questions read this first and then ask me, I'll try to answer it as best as I can .

Tags:
  2. Iruka-Senpai

Another reason the Gnostic Gospels were cut was because they are often stories about how Christ gave secret knowledge to each apostle. The Bible claims that no knowledge is held hidden from believers. The Gnostics would tell the stories of the Bible, then they would tell their highest priests "secret knowledge" from the Gnostic Gospels.

3. angelchick

True, the fact that the Gnostic gospels were very different from the ones used in the bible were part of the reason that they weren't used, but if you read the information in the link that I posted you'll see that the other part of the reason that they weren't included was becuase they were too young to be written first hand by any of the 12 disciples. Also, some of those gospels were written by others besides the disciples about incidents that they weren't present to experience, making the sources unreliable.

4. Lord of Mikawa

To be honest, the Gnostic Gospels weren't included because they didn't fit the central message of the New Testament.

5. angelchick

Like I said in my last post, they weren't included becuase they weren't written by the disciples, which meant they were written by people who never seen Jesus and never spoke to him.

6. MartialHorror

Wrong, the gnostic gospels were excluded because THEY WERE FAKE.

The gospel of Mary was written far beyond Mary's time. Point is, if its 300+ years too old, the author and the date don't match, ect, that means they are not reliable. In truth, the only gnostic gospel that MAY be this case if the gospel of Thomas, which is now believed to be written closer to 200AD.