1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Godsmack and SOAD: the Twentieth Anniversaries

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by DemonDragonJ, Mar 13, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

This year marks the twentieth anniversaries of the debut albums of both Godmsack and System of a Down, two of the most prominent bands of the alternative metal movement of the late 1990's and early 2000's. In the 1990's, hard rock and heavy metal lost popularity as alternative rock and grunge became popular. However, some rock and metal bands remained vigilant against the grunge movement, ensuring that rock and metal survived and maintained their trademark energy and passion, with some of the most notable of those bands being Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and Exhorder, starting a new wave of heavy metal. Later in that decade, Rammstein would begin their career and help to form industrial metal, and then Godsmack, SOAD, and Disturbed would release their respective debut albums, heralding the end of one decade the beginning of another, as well as a new era for heavy metal.

I became a fan of Godsmack and System of a Down during high school, finding their music to be very engaging and appealing to my adolescent self. At that time, I am reluctant to admit, I also was a fan of nu metal bands such as Linkin Park, Korn, and Slipknot; however, I lost interest in those three bands as I grew older, but I still am a fan of Godsmack and SOAD to this day (not as much of a fan as I am of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, and so forth, but still a fan), and I can hardly believe that it has really been ten years since those bands began their careers.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts on the twentieth anniversaries of both Godsmack and System of a Down?

Tags:
  2. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Jesus, has it been that long?!

3. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Yes, it has, and, in two years, it will be the twentieth anniversaries for both Disturbed and Linkin Park.

I myself cannot believe that it has already been an entire decade since Death Magnetic was released, as I can recall eagerly anticipating that album and purchasing it the same that day it was released, as it was Metallica's long-awaited return to the original style from their first four albums.