1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Going to Paris this X-mas break! Help!!!

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by zionforsell, Nov 25, 2005.

1. zionforsell Member

I am planning to go to Paris this X-mas break. Please tell me what I need to know. Like about the riots situation, what to wear, manners, weather, how to shop, get around, places to go, ect.... I appreciate any advice!!!!

Tags:
  2. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Learn French, since the French don't like to learn English. (Or anything else you might speak)

Remain in the city proper to avoid the current violence.

Unless you're a stickler for fashion, no special clothes are needed - just be sure you bring warm clothes - Paris often falls below 0?C in December.

Manners - if you're American, remember not to switch your knife and fork. Your knife should remain in your dominant hand at all times.
    Don't speak loudly, don't complain about smokers, or you will get smoke in your face. And no, it doesn't mean they want to kiss you.

The weather is cold, get around by taxi or subway, and there are so many places to go in Paris it's not funny. Go whereever suits your interests.

The place to shop if you're loaded is the Avenue Montaigne. If not, there are plenty of stores, upscale and not, all over the city.

3. aLkeMiSt Curious

Don't bring deodorant... they'll seize it from you at the airport. :p

4. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

In less than a month? :laugh

5. monk3 Ryokan Pride

just know basic terms like 'merci' or 'bonjour' for a crash course go to the language center of the forum in the konoha mall. dress normally but dress warm. like KnK said. just like, hang out. sure the french don't like speaking english but i went there for a month this summer and i went to a school and a few people knew some phrases. i don't know much about the riots. sorry :sweatdrop

places to go? there are sooo many places in Paris. if this is your first time, check out the major sights like La Tour Eiffel or L'Arc de Triomphe. if you like science i highly recommend La Cite des sciences & de l'industrie. even if you don't like science it is really cool.

utilize the metro system to get around Paris. its your best bet.

i can't think of anything else so i'll post again if i do. good luck :)

6. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

A few tips when traveling to France:

-Don't hide from the police in the electrical wiring of subway systems. Unless you're a revolutionary or something. Then go for it, Viva Revolution!

-Make sure to bring pleanty of the required items for successful rioting. Crowbars, rocks, molotove cocktails, etc.. Be sure to bring gloves so you don't cut your hands on broken shop windows while looting!

-Respect the local customs. Bathing and manners are disrespectful to French culture.

-Watch out for those German invasions, they're annoying. Once again it is good to respect the local customs and surrender.

-Don't eat the cheese or any other dairy products for that matter. The French believe refrigeration is unsophisticated.

-5 words: The French Language Is God. Insult their God and incur their wrath.

-If you don't want to die of lung cancer in 10 years, a gas mask is a good idea. Everyone in France smokes. Even the half retarded blind deaf 8 year old crack baby. It's like water over there.

-If it looks like you've stepped into a time warp and are now in 1120 Algeria, Don't be alarmed you are merely in the outskirts of Paris.

-Only old, fat, and all around disgusting people are at the nude beaches.

-If you decide to attend a football game, rioting is not just expected but encouraged regardless if your team wins or loses. It is said this custom was introduced by the British long ago.

-The national past time is going on strike. Join in to feel part of their culture.

7. GSurge Brilliant Punk

Also, walk around with an undeserved sense of accomplishment.

8. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

Stereotype..........
    I'm french, i can help you.

Riot are finish in France. If you want i can help you to visit Paris. I live near Paris. But my english is not perfect.

9. Aruarian Well-Known Member

"Je ne parlé pas Francais,' only sentence you'll need to utter.

10. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

Speak in a LOUD, SLOW M-A-N-N-E-R and if necesary sue hand gestures to get your point across.

Take a loaded B52.

Come back with an empty one.

11. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

France is secoond manga market in the world ( japan is first of course ) so if you want buy mangas goodies or other thing about manga, you will find it easlly in Paris.

12. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

France is secoond manga market in the world ( japan is first of course ) so if you want buy mangas goodies or other thing about manga, you will find it easlly in Paris.

13. Aruarian Well-Known Member

But won't they be in French?

14. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

He can buy poster, CD's or other things about mangas. In Konci ( ), he can find a lot of goodies about Naruto

15. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

I agree with Megaharrison, by the way. Especially about the gas mask. I was trying to be helpful, tho. XD

16. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

About smoker, you can meet them only in restaurant but in restaurant there are place for no smoker.

17. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

Remember to hold a crossiant in one of your hands at all times.

Also, be sure that you can tell the difference between a homo- and metro- sexual.

18. Voynich MADDER RED

Drink water from bottles and drag the damned filled bottle around all day. It'll make you look like a frenchman and it tastes a hell of a lot better than water from the sink.

19. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

........americans have a bad vision of us.

20. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Not just the Americans. :amuse

21. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

Ok so if i must go in USA,

I musn't say a word in french, a can be kill for than ( americans hate french people )
    I eat Mc donald ( or burger king )
    i must say i'm not arabian at the airport because they will thinks i'm a terrorist

22. Aruarian Well-Known Member

You could fake being Canadian, I guess.

23. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

lol

If he accept, i will show him the real Paris. Not the Paris that American thinks it is. He will see that french are not all smoker ( i don't smoke ). I could help him to speak with other french.

24. zionforsell Member

The things that trouble me most are: language, directions, and crimes. I love shopping antiques and browsing open-air market, or walking along the streets. I'm terrified at pick-porket! I was born in Paris. But I moved since so long ago I don't even remember anything. I don't have trouble with eating manners (I cut my banana with folk and knife if you know what I mean! lol). I don't think wine and tobacco is bad either. (Yup, I'm a liberal!) But I am afraid about the language. I also fear being tricked. Since I love Paris for its history and arts, I will be intoxicated by it so bad that anyone can just walk away with my purse. (Ooh, and I am female! Guys!!) Plus, I don't know how to get around, where to go, direction,... Oh and can any give me some estimate of prices there. Like how much is a coffee cup? jeans? t-shirt?.... How much do you need to survive (and have fun) for 2 weeks in Paris???? I'm freaking out!!! Oh, plus, how long does it take to get a visa???

25. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

hum, you are a girl. how old are you. You maybe don't want to be help by a french guy like me.

26. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

hum, you are a girl. how old are you. You maybe don't want to be help by a french guy like me.

27. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

Thats right, i hate the french too and im English.

And for the record, we hate the french more than the Amerry Kans. We have more reasons to aswell.

28. Le Male Absolu Well-Known Member

I know that lot of english hate us. That too bad. Maybe i should hate americans and english.

29. Dukusaba New Member

I dont know anything about france im clueless.

30. Dukusaba New Member

English hates americans and france well im africanamerican does that still count.:oh