1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

GOP Anti-Antifa Act Could Send Masked Demonstrators To Prison For 15 Years

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM.

1. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Remember that there was an effort by this same GOP to make a bill that allowed protestors to be run over around the same time a woman was run over and killed by actual Nazis in our own country.

This bill has been widely reported about, but not given a huge amount of attention from what I can find. I came across it on Reddit.

Tags:
  2. EdoC4 Well-Known Member

3. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

The problematic language is the oppress and intimidate part which would likely lead to uneven enforcement of this law. We already see police showing up to arrest anti hate demonstrators while leaving the other side untouched.

Also the penalty is steep. Fifteen years is more than you get for rape or killing sometimes. It's an odd thing for a federal bill to be brought up for and it seems fishy especially given the current climate.

I mean, the Klan has been operating behind masks for over 100 years in this country, but this is needed now?

4. EdoC4 Well-Known Member

5. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much the KK has been masked up and not getting prosecuted for ages.

6. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

This administration has tried to make Antifa a hate group and fascism "just another school of thought".

This country was decidedly Antifa at one point. That's what WWII was about.

7. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Finally a way to get back on those egg throwing bastards this Halloween.

8. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Masks, intimidation...yeah someone should just brand this as an Anti-Halloween bill. Get the candy companies to go in hard against it.

9. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Except Antifa are thugs. Or did you forget the time they destroyed businesses and burned down cars because a summit was happening that was in favour of the exact same thing they support ? I love how the article tries to ignore all the dammage they actually do by going "THEY DIDN'T KILL ANYONE AND WHATABOUT DE NAAAZEEES". Yes Far right extremists do cause shit too, but to hide away everything Antifa does by obfuscating it with how they only ever were reponsible for one dead person, but then happily list just attacks without any other qualifying statements for the "Nazis" is just plain wilful disingenousness at this point.

I think the bill seems vague and I think there's need for a different bill that would be more clear in it's language to properly address the worst behaviour shown by people of any political motivation who are only in it to get to fight and break stuff and get away with it.

Because you can't just have people smashing businesses and burn down cars because they dare to exist in the area where they are having their "protest".

Protest all you want, just don't bring bike locks, have your signs ontop of massive two by fours and have a lot of very flammable stuff on your person.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

Does this need a special bill to be introduced? It's funny how often the right claims that the left introduces bills that are unnecessary and we've seen them send out two in recent years directly made to protect their status quo of hate and bigotry.

11. EJ populist left

op has actively supported violence against Trump supporters, this got him shook :haha

12. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Even if they never did, they still cause massive violence and the article kinda pretends they don't. Antifa destroy a shit ton of property and they have been known to attack people, see the bike lock incident that comes to mind.

I think that there needs to be something penalising people in participating in quote unquote "protests" and then destroying private property. Because I'm pretty sure everyone in charge already knows that is what is gonna happen and go ahead with shit anyway.

If there aren't any new laws necessary they should slap them with the existing ones when and not if they wreck shit again.

13. zeroantizero Well-Known Member

No, the country didn't give a sh*t until it was attacked. Before, during and after WWII, people associated with antifa, especially those who supported the republican side of the Spanish Civil War, were monitored by the government and blacklisted as communists. I also remember a FDR quotation about Mussolini and keeping the trains running...

14. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

There were some pretty Hitler friendly people in the country for sure. Everyone likes to paint situations like they were on the right side after the dust settles. And I don't think that will be any different after Trump is gone.

The thing is that we did take a stance against what the Germans, Italians, and Japanese stood for back then. It's just that we took that stance and demonized them as a way to get everyone on board with the war. Companies like JP Morgan, Chase, Ford and people like Charles Lindbergh were Nazi supporters.

I mean, I've heard of where the chant "America First" comes from. It just feels like after all that shit in the war we would be totally against anyone waving Nazi flags around.

15. afgpride Global Moderator

Antifa is a domestic terrorist group that thinks de-platforming and intimidating conservatives is the equivalent of resisting Nazis in world war 2. Their use of masks allows them to carry out crimes without being put to justice. So I'm cool with masks being an aggravating factor.

The vague language used here is ridiculous, however, and will potentially allow for politicized prosecution against leftists which is appalling.

16. Skaddix Well-Known Member

FUCK PROPERTY, KKK killed people for years and destroyed your sacrosanct Private Property and yet there was never a bill passed to target them. What makes ANTIFA so much worse.

17. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

No one is guaranteed a platform. Freedom of speech is only protection from government blocking of you speaking. If people make it a pain in the ass for you to speak or eat dinner out that's just par for the course.

He doesn't agree with them.

18. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Yes it doesn't take a genius to figure how unfairly this law is going to get applied nor do I think Wearing a Mask and destroying some Private Property warrants 15 years in jail.

19. afgpride Global Moderator

When I say "de platform" I'm not talking about a host dis-inviting a speaker because they disagree with their views. I'm talking about the attempt to remove or cancel an event by force and/or intimidation, which is what antifa does.

20. Eros Love is Love

France
    Catdank Faction:
    I think we're headed toward Tiananmen in America. Might as well just suspend habeas corpus. That'd be easier. :mlpshrug

21. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

I'm also cool with that. That's basically what a boycott does and I just hate Nazis.

22. afgpride Global Moderator

You're cool with vigilante anarchists vandalizing property, committing arson and assaulting non-nazis because you hate nazis?

In any case, I think talking about how pathetic and contemptible antifa is (which they are) misses the point of this story. This measure goes beyond the behavior of a particular group and risks politically charged prosecution, bad precedent and disproportionate punishment.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  23. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

I'm pretty sure antifa deliberately causes peaceful protests to not be peaceful.

24. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

They make it pretty clear who they mean the bill to be for by naming it “Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018"

And that’s not what I said. I said that stopping a business or person from being functional through protesting or boycotts is fair play. When a picket line outside of a store is there what are they trying to do? Stop business to get their demands met.

Now if we’re talking about the actual fascists and Nazis and KKK guys? Fuck em all. I think they don’t deserve to be drawing breath because they’re just a group based on hating people for being whatever they are (you can’t change the things they hate about others). These groups seek to use the law as a shield and harass others through legal means and the police have been very cool with protecting them. There’s not a reason for discussion or reasoning with them.

25. Cardboard Tube Knight Best Girl Peach

There’s no such thing with peace with fascism. Unless you’re burying their dead bodies.

26. Killmonger Hatred

i'm very curious as to where this logic is coming from. can you explain to me why you think the bill will be used in that way?

27. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
  28. afgpride Global Moderator

Vague language puts disproportionate power at the ends of the prosecution to try and punish people over actions. Here's where the vague language lies:
    The legislation would punish anyone who “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person” engaged in a legally protected right or privilege while “wearing a mask” with up to 15 years in prison.
    I bolded the vague terms. Because these terms are used in the legislation, someone can be tried/punished for "oppressing" or "intimidating" someone.

"Your honor, the defendant frightened my client, which is punishable under the Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018"
    "Your honor, video evidence shows the defendant causing my client to feel distressed and uncomfortable, which is punishable under the Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018"

Unlike injury and threats, causing people to feel frightened, distressed, uncomfortable, anxious is extremely subjective and open to interpretation. If you're having trouble picturing why this is dangerous, imagine it being punishable for Trump supports to cause anti-Trump supporters to feel frightened, distressed, uncomfortable and anxious, and a democratic government was in charge.

29. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  30. Killmonger Hatred

Hmm, I should of worded my question better.
    Why do you think this bill will lead to politicized attacks against the left in general? Even if they aren't wearing a mask.