1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Got Ninja? (Ninja common knowledge)

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Aternox, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Aternox Rat on Crack

(rofl)

(I hope you'll have fun reading it XD!)

Noxie.

Edit : here goes the second part!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Mizura Meh

Very cool! :thumbs I didn't know that Kunoichi simply came from the kanji!

As for the 12 Chinese zodiac animals... simply put, Buddha one day summoned all animals to him. The 12 who came to him were made into the 12 zodiac signs. Simple? Yep. Two stories derived from it were:
    - the Rat made it there first, by riding on the ox's head. When the nearly arrived, he merely jumped off in front. Ah-hah...
    - the Cat was too lazy or something thus never made it. Which is why the cat is not part of the 12 signs. You heard me people, in China and in Japan, the Cat is NOT the fourth sign of the Chinese zodiac. I nearly pulled my hair out when I saw that on the Yahoo zodiac section! I'm half-Chinese and lived most of my life in China, so I know what I'm talking about. Plus there's even a Japanese anime about it. The true fourth sign of the Zodiac is the hare/rabbit. It's actually a sign of wisdom of sorts: it is said that when the divinity-turned-human Chang-e became a divinity again (tricked her husband, long story), she floated to the moon and only took with her her pet rabbit. In the moon palace, the rabbit became wise. Um... anyway, no cat in there. Kappish?

3. Aternox Rat on Crack

There's people/sites saying that the cat is one of the juunishi? O.o; ? Man, that's not good...
    *tends to tear hair too when people mess up things. Well, tear hair or rant, it depends, lol*

4. Mizura Meh

Don't look at me. >.> I don't usually look into zodiac stuff, so when several years ago, I saw the cat in one of Yahoo.com's zodiac services, I wasn't exactly amused. I think I then saw an explanation somewhere that the cat is the fourth Chinese zodiac sign, but that "some places" use the rabbit instead. EXCUSE me, you got that the wrong way: China uses Rabbit, Some remote places (I'm not even sure where) use Cat instead. Then when I went to Europe, I found people mentioning the cat as well. Oooooh boy. :mad

Come on, people. If you want cat, just pretend the Tiger is a cat.

5. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

The zodiac animals differ per country. Thailand uses the Elephant for instance. According to some tails the cat was supposed to attend Buddha's talk/banquet whatever and asked his friend the rat when it was held. However the rat, wanting to be the first to arrive, gave the cat the wrong date, making the cat miss the banquet. This is why the rat and the cat hate eachother ^^

6. Heldensheld Chunnin

you should also look up the fact that hidden villages and ninja clans aren't entirely made up. the relation of a hidden village for a "country" is similar to the hidden ninja villages in the different provinces during times like the bakumatsu. the iga ninja were especially notorious because of the exploits of one of their own, hattori hanzo.

8. Aternox Rat on Crack

This is exactly what I'm going to explain in the "True Ninja History part." ^.^
    Trust me, I didn't mentionned Iga no mono and Kouga no mono without being aware of the whole ninja history. From the beginning to the bakumatsu, this will be explained. I didn't do it today because I want to take my time to write this down. It's important and complicated stuff, it's gonna need some details.
    Don't worry, everything will be mentionned. ( Even Oda's repression, woohoo !^^)
    (I'm just a bit lazy)

(Bonus, bonus, I'll even talk about the different ninja figting style/schools! From the Togakure-ryuu, to Mister Hatsumi and Tanemura... Don't worry, I'm a perfectionnist XD. )

9. iaido Elitist Asshole

As someone who has studied bujinkan and has studied swordsmanship, please do not say that the ninja used a "ninja-to" which is a Hollywood creation. Many sword dealers sell a "ninja sword" which is usually a straight sword and that is NOT true. There was a straight sword design called the chokuto but that was an archaic version before heat treatment and water quenching which gives it the naturally-forming curve of Japanese swords. As a ninja, it would defeat its purpose to carry a specific type of sword that can easily identify one as a ninja... Not to mention that chokutos are very difficult to cut with. Ninjas used the more modern (of the time) katanas and wakizashis. There are stories going around that ninjas used a wakizashi in a katana saya for deception. In iaijutsu, people usually determine the time it takes to draw with the length of the blade.

Good article BTW.

10. road_rash martial artist

1 thing I would like to change although. The hand seals were actually based off of the 81 ninjutsu hand seals, known as kuji kiri, and naruto uses the like 9 most common ones most often (the ones we see that are used a whole lot), but I'm not sure how many of them we've seen in general in the manga.

11. Goongasnootch 亀好き

I knew a lot of that already but it's always nice to get a refresher course. The one thing I did learn though is that the Shinobi No Mono mask is known as the Tengu-gi.

12. kumagoro_usagi Hef's Personal Glomper

I used to read Furuba (Fruit Basket) but now it's become far to romantic and silly the only thing that interested me recently is the recent information about Akito
    Spoiler:
    Who now turns out to be a girl and some Yuki bits. However the Machi & Yuki thing is so annoying. Don't even get me started on Tohru and Kyo which has now become majorly cheesy

13. Zedaine Member

i did a research projects on ninjas and the rankings are really true and i learned about that ninja-to stuff also lol it would be pretty dumb to have a sword that is only used by the ninjas since its a dead giveaway also their scabbard or watever that thing used to hold a sword was usually longer so they can put stuff in it. Heck it was even sometimes used as a snorkle to breathe underwater(forgot if it was called snorkle or watever that thing was)

14. Aternox Rat on Crack

I mean, be sure that I'm not doing this for the rep points.
    (Before yelling ' booboo, liar!' let me explain, lol)

I'm doing this because sharing knowledge is fun.
    We're not just here to squeal "OMGBBQ, Naruto RoXoRz DaH BoxOrZ!!1", we're here to share knowledge too, right? Everyone here loves Naruto, and ninja. I've been interested in ninja for years now, and I learned a lot a little funny things (like the meaning of the handseals), and each time I learned something new, I was feeling great, because learning is fun.
    So I'm doing this hoping you're going to have fun reading this articles, as much as fun as I had when I learned those things.

(And don't worry, I'm getting quite some bad rep points too, from ppl thinking I'm doing this to show off, lol. So, really, trust me, it's not the best way to be repped.)

I won't, don't worry. By the way, everything you said is accurate! Congrats!

Yup yup ^^

Hm.
    O.o;
    To me, the Kuji Kiri is a symbol you draw in the air (9 horizontal lines, and 9 vertical ones, you must draw them in the right order tho), while praying/calling out for help from the Buddha, and the Kuji-in uses handseals. (okay, it's a bit more complicated than this, but I'm going to explain it later. I don't want to go there without checking my Engrish first.)

Traditionnally, the handseals are Buddhist stuff (called mudras). It was slowly adapted by Yamabushi (mountain ascets) and others, into esoteric stuff. From esoteric to magic (and ninja super power), there's not much ^.~

Anyway, don't worry, I'm going to rant on it.
    Since I'm a bit lazy, and that RL is currently biting my arse, the second part of the article won't be posted before next week.
    Until then... XD

*huggles*

PS : "OMGBBQ, Jiraiya RoXoRz DaH BoxOrZ!!1"

15. Inactive Sabaku.No.Gaara Sand Ninja

Wow very nice....lots of facts that i just found out about...i wish we were still in those times...when i hear about ancient stuff i want to like go back and see with my own eyes...like for example i wanna go see those Tengu people or watever...how they are described in history are probably just a point of view from one side not the other...

16. Aternox Rat on Crack

WOOHOO, Aternox stoped being lazy and actually did something!

Woohoo indeed...

17. Axass -Avenger-

That rocks so much! I'm surprised by the origin of some of the weapons, like the tonfa.

18. stillrmattow Taking over one post at a time

19. Scared Link _

What are you talking... oh wait yeah good job :)

20. Aternox Rat on Crack

Erm, sorry 'bout the bad Engrish btw.

21. emma0 Judge of the Dead

put this one up in wikipedia or something. so that more people would see more about ninjas. it might be possible that a ninja expert might contribute on it.

good job! *two thumbs up*

22. Shiari Lurking around in the shadows.

I like it! Good job! ^_^

23. iaido Elitist Asshole

As a swordsman, I know of a few weapons experts and swordsmiths if you want a source to cite. Just make sure you dispel the ninja-to straightsword myth. Good work.

A suggestion would be to go over famous ninjas and discern fact from legend. The Sanada 12 w/ Saizou and Sarutobi Sasuke as well as the most famous ninja, Hattori Hanzo.

24. Aternox Rat on Crack

Heh? But my Engrish shucks too much to do that. I'd need to do it seriously, find a beta, send it to a beta, wait for the beta to correct it, I'd need to try to actually make sense... argh, no, way too complicated for lazy me X3
    I'm just doing it for the Naruto fandom sake, lol. But if someone want to use this to make an article in Wikipedia, go ahead! XD

Yes, I'd be happy to have your sources!

Hm, I'm afraid that my knowledge around true ninja is more than... tiny. lol
    But again, if you want to participate, you are more than welcome! I'm really happy to see that people are interest in true facts too.

Thank you very much for participating!

25. batanga 6 1 15-45 300

Already knew like 80% of that stuff, but it was really informative + a good read. I had never heard of those "air boots" before. Good job.

26. Pro /(>

I like your sword explannation the most. good work.

27. Gejimayu 休術のスペシアりスト

One more thing people fail to realize, is that even though shinobi had hideouts like secluded areas and sometimes villages, they didn't walk around all day in black pajamas with a mask on. XD Shinobi, especially the ones that lived near populated areas, had to mix in with the regular people.

So, the regular looking guy pushing bales of hay down the street in a cart, or the guy pulling a rickshaw, for all you know, either of them could be shinobi! There was no way to just look at a guy and say, "Yep, he's a ninja", the only way you could ever tell was if you saw them while they were in the middle of killing someone--and even then, especially for kunoichi, they might be in a disguise they used to gain access to their target.

And on the issue of swords, another thing is, ninja don't give a damn. :p Seriously, they're not like samurai, who have certain rituals and codes of honor when it comes to how to fight properly. Ninja would use whatever they could get their hands on-- chokuto, wakizashi, a pointy stick, you name it, as long as it worked. That's why they could win one-on-one vs. a samurai, because they were willing to attack unconventionally, which was something samurai weren't prepared for with orthodox kenjutsu.

28. iaido Elitist Asshole

True, but the chokuto was very rarely used by "ninjas". It's true that they would use whatever they could get their hands on and making a cheap bladed weapon doesn't require a master swordsmith but a more suitable and much cheaper weapon would be the yari for peasants. Even the naginata would've been a more suitable choice as it was originally a version of a farm tool. The chokuto is an archaic sword design that went out of style once water-quenching, advanced tempering methods, and the use of clay became popular. The advanced quenching and tempering process gives the katana its natural curve.

I wouldn't put too much faith on Wikipedia as it's a user-based site but rather real historical sources and Bujinkan (although Wikipedia incorreclt cites Hatsumi). They were historically hired by shoguns and warlords to eliminate their political rivals with information/extortion/blackmail and/or physically remove them. The pictures and video clips I've seen of Hatsumi all show him using a katana.

In Japan, there aren't any ninja chokuto in museum exhibits.

A chokuto sucks ass to cut with. There's a reason the katana took over the chokuto... A chokuto bends easier than a katana when you make a misaligned cut. Not only that, it would defeat the purpose of a ninja that would carry weapons that would easily identify them as ninjas.

In the original Bujinkan Dojo, they stress a quickdraw style. The shorter the blade, the faster your draw. It's along the lines of iaijutsu/iaido than straight-up kenjutsu (which is usually one hit, one kill anyway).

A side note: In kenjutsu, you don't usually block your opponent's sword with your sword. You usually counter by attacking, meaning when he slashes, you slash. Now, I'm not saying you can't block your opponent's blade with the side of your katana, but it's usually preferred to capitalize on an opening when he attacks by attacking yourself. Quite different from kendo.

Masaaki Hatsumi also says that the clothing worn by ninjas was actually a very dark red versus a black.

Now some ryus call for a straighter sword than other styles. A katana used by most practitioners of jigen ryu is different from katanas used by yagyu shinkage practitioners. Some ninja clans might've used different weapons than others.

You can go to swordforum.com - In that forum, the LoTR/Everquest/Warcraft/Dungeons and Dragons/Rurouni Kenshin/Otaku people are rare but you do get your fair share of fat guys who attend Medieval fairs or white guys wearing hakamas, kimonos, and haoris. Despite that, there are many people who study Bujinkan as there are many master swordsmiths and polishers of both Western and Eastern styles. Howard Clark, the most famous katana swordsmith in the United States also frequents the boards.

29. Aternox Rat on Crack

Thanks!

Very good ninja knowledge! *gives the thumbs up, pats on the back, and shares some cookies*

This, my friends, is TRUE KNOWLEDGE. Wisdom.

*bows in front of Iaido*

Everything that man is saying is true, and supported with facts and very good examples. Iaido is really worth repping, guys.

Everyone! Thank you so much for contributing, and making this thead interesting.

*huggles*

Noxie.

30. iaido Elitist Asshole

His 1086 (Type of steel) Wakizashi - Check out the hamon on that sword.