1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

great quotes from books

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Dragonforce98, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Dragonforce98 Your Worst Nightmare (or not)

I've begun a new practice in which I record page numbers with great quotes while reading a book. When I finish reading the book, I go on the computer and type the relevant quotes.

The first book I used for this practice is one I just finished yesterday: The Plague by Albert Camus.

Here are the quotes:

pg. 260 "There was no room in any heart but for a very old, gray hope, that hope which keeps men from letting themselves drift into death and is nothing but a dogged will to live."

pg. 257 after swimming at the sea with Tarrou "They dressed and started back. Neither had said a word, but they were conscious of being perfectly at one, and the memory of this night would be cherished by them both."

pg. 272 "Some of them plague had imbued with a skepticism so thorough that it now was a second nature; they had become allergic to hope in any form."

pg. 274 "No doubt these families had hopes, but they hoarded them and forbade themselves to draw on them before feeling quite sure they were justified."

pg. 275 "Thus the coming liberation had a twofold aspect, of happiness and tears."

pg. 286 "For the first time the doctor realized that this night, without the clang of ambulances and full of belated wayfarers, was just like a night of the past--a plague-free night. It was just as if the pestilence, hounded away by cold, the street-lamps, and the crowd, had fled from the depths of the town and taken shelter in this warm room and was launching its last offensive at Tarrou's inert body."

pg. 291 "At that moment he knew what his mother was thinking, and that she loved him. But he knew, too, that to love someone means relatively little; or, rather, that love is never strong enough to find the words befitting it. Thus he and his mother would always love each other silently."

pg. 291 "So all a man could win the conflict between plague and life was knowledge and memories."

pg. 295 "But the moment they saw the smoke of the approaching engine, the feeling of exile vanished before an uprush of overpowering, bewildering joy."

pg. 295 "For the moment he [Rambert] wished to behave like all those others around him who believed, or made believe, that plague can come and go without changing anything in men's hearts."

pg. 297 "These ecstatic couples, locked together, hardly speaking, proclaimed in the midst of the tumult or rejoicing, with the proud egoism and injustice of happy people, that the plague was over, the reign of terror ended."

pg. 300 "They knew now that if there is one thing one can always yearn for and sometimes attain, it is human love."

pg. 307 "'But what does that mean="plague"? Just life, no more than that.'" -old man speaking to Rieux

pg. 307 "In this night of new-born freedom desires knew no limits, and it was their clamor that reached Rieux's ears."

_____

Please post some interesting quotes from the books that you are reading.

Tags:
  2. Magnum Miracles Thank You, and have a nice life.

"Stay low,stay quiet,keep it simple don’t expect much,enjoy what you have,be self-sufficient,don't get involved,let the world go to Hell if it wants." - Velocity by Dean Koontz

"When you do something stupid and die,it's pathetic.When you do something stupid and survive it, then you get to call it impressive or heroic."- Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

3. sel Agatha, This is Magnus

Probably my favourite, at least one memory.

Only the dead stay seventeen forever ~ Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami

The opening of Love in the Time of Cholera is also beautiful. Can't remember it offhand, and neither can I cpoy it from the book since I left it on a train a while ago. Sad times.

Oh, and of course, this

Agatha, this is Magnus
    This is Magnus
    It is Magnus
    And you’d better
    Believe it
    Agatha, give my Jenny
    Back her house
    Give my Jenny the house
    Then get out of here.
    If you don’t, I will come
    And get you
    I will come and get you
    like you got me.
    I am watching you
    Agatha

4. Perverse Crow Black Harm

Camus is a genius; recently read The Fall and loved it, if only it wasn't so short!

Murakami has a million gems in his books.

Not really a quote from the actual book itself, but the dedication from Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly was really interesting, I quite enjoyed that.

5. sel Agatha, This is Magnus

Probably more, in fact. I've been intentionally not reading his works recently, because the day when I've read everything of his and have nothing more to go through is going to be a very bittersweet day indeed.

6. Perverse Crow Black Harm

I think I only have about four of his books to go; hanging out desperately for the translation of 1Q84.

7. Sorairo Warai For Great Justice!

from the Misty Blue Mountains to the sea
    Would that I had the wings of the nahji."
    - Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi, page 242

I have this other favorite quote from Holly Black's novel Tithe, though I'm not sure if I should post it. :oh

8. Sen Katimi Gamer Girl

Dragon's Milk by Susan Fletcher Pg. 119, Ch. 15: He who tasteth of power, weaker fare will never more content. -Kragish proverb and
    Pg. 185, Ch. 21: All creatures bleed the same blood, be they man or beast. Our fates are intermingled. Wheresoever spills the blood of any of earth's creature's, there spills the blood of man. -Private journals, Landerath as well as Pg. 238 Epilogue: The wild creatures of the earth are as milk for the human spirit; to destroy them is to starve our souls. -Private journals, Landerath

9. Comic Book Guy Cassandra Cain Fanboy Retired Staff

. . .

For mine:

‘If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — for ever.’
    -- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

10. Shɑnɑ انا روحى معاك

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." ~ Horseradish, Lemony Snicket

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
    of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
    borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
    abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
    it ~ HAMLET, Shakespeare

11. Farto i'm super gay and not powerful Retired Staff

"...[w]hat was particularly interesting about these erns was that the female birds, and not anything people had done, so far as anybody could tell, were to blame for the rapidly dwindling population. In the past, and presumably for thousands of years, the females had hatched their eggs, and tended the young, and finally taught them to fly by kicking them off the top of the steeple.

But when Raymond Trout went there as a doctoral candidate with his bride, he found that the females had taken to bowdlerizing the nurturing process by kicking the eggs off of the steeple."

[Kurt Vonnegut; Timequake]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  12. Dream fallen prince Supporting Staff

Whichever Archangel was speaking through Murphy is badass.

13. Plexa Well-Known Member

"He would live forever or die in the attempt." - Joseph Heller, Catch-22

"I was a victim of a series of accidents: as are we all." - Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan