1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Greek Conservatives take charge in landslide win

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by mr_shadow, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Dragon D. Luffy Moderator

Not sure if I see the 10 year difference.

Sure, I can see some European countries still diving deep into the right but I also think for most of them that already happened. They either became right-wing or they hit a stalemate where the far-right just owns 10-20% of parliaments and is not going much further than that.

I think there was a critical mass of far-right rise in 2016 and since then progressives have more or less managed to stall the politics status quo. Look at Spain for a country where people simply decided they are too scared of their far-right.

We are probably going to be stuck in that stalemate for a while though, at least until the left manages to find a way to connect to the poor working class again. Some progress has been made in that front, but in most countries, there's still a lot of work to do.

2. Dragon D. Luffy Moderator

I mean, considering your standpoint everything is far-left.

3. Dragon D. Luffy Moderator

I don't think anyone can afford to refuse Chinese investment in 2019.

That's akin to refusing American investment in the 1950s.

4. dergeist

5. Hozukimaru

I'm very excited about the potential of this government. They focus on much-needed aggressive taxation reduction but still promise to maintain a positive fiscal balance.

The stated goal is for the Greek economy to grow at a 4% rate for each of the next 4 years.

What I'm worried about is (1) that the international economic environment will remain positive for the next 4 years and (2) that the government will manage to reduce expenses adequately to avoid falling into deficit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List